↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Expedition & Overland > Sankey Trailer conversion to overland trailer.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 8 of 11 <123 ... 78 91011>
Print this entire topic · 
NickEJ

Slovenia 2004 Defender 90 Td5 XS CSW Galway Green
Keep it coming. It's giving me ideas! Big Cry
Post #634291 28th Jun 2017 11:41pm
xpertoftheseas

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Aintree Green
Received the new discs early this morning so managed to get both wheels re-assembled after making some new brake lines...

Click image to enlarge

These trailers really do mix imperial and metric standards. There is no standard, so you have to work with both and convert where necessary. For instance the Ford calipers are all metric fittings (M10), but the splitter block uses UNF which runs to a UNF fitting inside an M17 banjo bolt! Someone is having a laugh... at me... this was no fun in any way shape or form. Add to this the damn US brake solenoid (3/8"24 tapered! with 38degree flares) and I gave up after spending way too much money and time trying to get the correct conversion fittings to 3/16" CuNi piping. I concluded that the exercise of getting out of the car when I want to reverse the trailer will to be good for me and will save my hands, head and wallet immediately.

Bled the damn lines, got them sealed, and will leave until tomorrow until my friend calls over to do one last bleed as there is just a little sponginess in them still (although this could be the new pads).

Click image to enlarge

I had fitted these gas lines as a way of connecting up our new external stoves...

Click image to enlarge

It turns out that whilst working on the brakes I caught a very faint whiff of gas! Very quickly found a leak in a coupling on the 8mm copper so managed to fix that.

Tomorrow will be final brake bleed, install all the computer hardware (more on this in another post), finish off two lights in the right hand box, secure all gas lines underneath the trailer, fit the wheels and take the trailer into town for a clean. Tent and foxwing arrive on Monday, and that is the final hurdle.

Hope its sunny tomorrow. Somehow, I get the feeling the devil is ready to p*%s through my letterbox. My 10th Land Rover, but my first Defender.
Post #635012 1st Jul 2017 11:52pm
L110CDL

England 
Sorry to hear that you had to give up the idea of the reverse unit Crying or Very sad but hopefully now you will have better brakes on it and your nearly there now Thumbs Up 1996 Golf Blue 300Tdi 110 Pick up. Keeper.

Clayton.
Post #635217 2nd Jul 2017 9:56pm
xpertoftheseas

Thanks Clayton.

Great day today...managed to get to this...

Click image to enlarge

... back on its own two feet after several months. Fully overhauled brakes which after a little bedding in will be working fine. I took it into town for a run and to test the brakes fully, and they were just as to be expected from new discs and pads and will need a little bedding in before they get up to full performance.

Spent the day finishing some little bits and pieces. Tidied up and removed all the tools, fitted the streaming server and file storage and got the wifi working. I took the photo above just before I touched up the paint on the foot sills.

Started moving a lot of the stuff out of my garage and into the trailer so so I can move all my tools back into the garage Shocked

Fired up the fridge...

Click image to enlarge

I ordered some skirts and they have arrived, but I made a huge booboo with the side skirt dimensions so they need to go back this week for modification. The rear skirt fitted fine, so I completed the mounting of the snap fasteners. Just a tip when drilling the steel and then fitting stainless steel fasteners, you need to use threadlock otherwise over time these will just fall out due to the corrosion that will take place without the threadlock.

Tent and foxwing arrive tomorrow. Long week ahead getting this fitted. Will write about it here so you can all point and laugh at me, My 10th Land Rover, but my first Defender.
Post #635227 2nd Jul 2017 11:54pm
dorsetsmith

one has been busy Thumbs Up
Post #635237 3rd Jul 2017 6:33am
xpertoftheseas

Quick opinions please!
Crisis today - the tent and foxwing are in Singapore having missed the flight to the UK. No doubt in my mind that British Airways are involved Big Cry

To ease my anxiety I cobbled together some ideas for mounting the tent and the foxwing. This is where I need your opinions about the One Life Live It thing. My buddy thinks the logo should be on all Land Rovers, but then again he also thinks that Lulu was cool so my opinion on his opinion is very much clouded.

The roof rack is functional where the tent and foxwing fix to it, and the entire rack is bolted through the roof. In addition, the solar panel will pull out from underneath the rack when camping and it also adds carrying space on the rear of the roof for other stuff if needed.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Would appreciate all opinions on this as really I am split on this issue. Cool or uncool, too big or too small, Thumbs Up or Big Cry

You be the judges... just hurry up as I am sending this for fabrication on Wednesday.

Thanks for all your opinions, no matter what they are.
S My 10th Land Rover, but my first Defender.
Post #635451 3rd Jul 2017 10:09pm
alwoodley72

England 2008 Defender 130 Puma 2.4 HCPU Alaska White
Don't.Do.It.. why not have your and your good lady's name on it instead, a la 80's Capri?....
Seriously, will be far classier without. Looking fantastic btw, a real inspiration to many I feel, must see it in the flesh sometime!!..

Cheers. Alex 98 300 tdi 90 project
94 Range Rover vogue 4.2 lse
79 911 sc
08 130 double cab utility
Post #635454 3rd Jul 2017 10:21pm
xpertoftheseas

Thanks Alex - Advice well taken and headed. Fully agree! If you are travelling past, drop me a message and I will put the kettle on!

Finally received the tent and foxwing today, and surprise surprise, the dimensions are not even remotely close to what I was told by the manufacturer. However, I managed to catch the fabricators before they started manufacturing. So a quick redesign of the roof rack and you can see just how wrong the dims were.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

This is the final design - no more changes.

Pretty much finished up with the technical aspects of the trailer. Just some assembly now and to mount the solar panel on extension rails. Will post some pics when complete.

The end is in sight. My 10th Land Rover, but my first Defender.
Post #635752 5th Jul 2017 12:52pm
miker

United Kingdom 1999 Defender 110 Td5 CSW Rioja Red
Is the intention to put heavy stuff in the front locker? Looking at the position of the main box, and the underslung tanks, the weight looks to be behind the axle
Post #635770 5th Jul 2017 2:32pm
xpertoftheseas

Thanks for the comments.

There are four batteries up front in the metal box. All the tools are in there, as well as the bottled water and pots and pans etc. With the fridge full of food and all the equipment in the front part of the trailer, it is actually quite nose heavy. However, the roof tent is not yet installed or the roof rack so will change as you point out. The good thing is I can compensate by varying the amount of water in the 80 litre water tank and also pack the heavier camping boxes towards the front.

I will let you know the tongue weight when it is fully loaded and ready to go. Hopefully should be around 70kg. My 10th Land Rover, but my first Defender.
Post #635774 5th Jul 2017 3:15pm
L110CDL

England 
I know its a bit late, been one of those weeks Rolling Eyes but i agree without the logo Thumbs Up your pic of the trailer is a work of art, Bow down
Glad you made it in time with the roof rack people and sorted that out, great when something goes right Wink looks very impressive behind your landy and yes the end is in sight Very Happy 1996 Golf Blue 300Tdi 110 Pick up. Keeper.

Clayton.
Post #636041 6th Jul 2017 8:15pm
xpertoftheseas

Brief update from Corsica
As our campsite road is closed and we cannot depart to move to our next campsite, I am grabbing 10 mins to write a quick update....

Click image to enlarge

After working down to the wire to get the roof rack and tent installed, I finally finished on Thursday evening ready for departure Friday. The rack was powder coated and looks amazing and fits perfectly however I drastically underestimated the weight of the assembly with the roof tent, foxwing and solar panel attached. In general it works very well but confirms concerns that the trailer is over its design weight on the roof. The roof need to be remade in aluminium so a job for when we return.

First couple of nights in the tent proved successful however an error by the tent manufacturer has scuppered the erection of the fox wing tent which cannot be rectified now.

Solar panel working well keeping the fridge and fans working. However a DC to DC charger will be needed for longer wild camping trips.

More later.
S My 10th Land Rover, but my first Defender.
Post #638767 21st Jul 2017 10:43am
excossack

United Kingdom 1999 Defender 110 Td5 SW Caledonian Blue
Nice build. Do you have any more info on the file server/streaming/wifi setup ? 1999 Defender TD5 110

Regards
John M0VAZ
Econet Station 48 no clock
Post #638785 21st Jul 2017 12:32pm
xpertoftheseas

Sure, I actually had a couple of PMs about this. I will do a write up when I get back or when I get a spare half hour or so. This has been a big hit with the kids and kept them totally occupied during the 1000mile trip through France. My 10th Land Rover, but my first Defender.
Post #638797 21st Jul 2017 1:37pm
xpertoftheseas

Streaming Server
I had a lot of questions about setting up the streaming server, so here is a brief run down of what you will need and what you will need to do to set it up. I am describing what I did, but there are so many ways of doing this, and I just picked the way that was best for me and for the equipment I had on hand.
Basically, this set up will create a new WiFi network, and on the LAN side of the network there is a small network file server (NFS), and attached to that there is a storage device (portable USB powered HDD). On the WLAN side there are the clients which connect to the WiFi network, of which we had several including cameras, tablets and a laptop. This was so we could dump our pictures and video we took during our holiday back to the external hard disk to ensure we had enough space (all of us were taking photos and video, and we came back with over 1TB worth of “memories”. So the set up looks like this…

Click image to enlarge

It works extremely well, and at one point had all five of us streaming individual movies over the WiFi from the hard disk.

Hard Disk.
Toshiba Canvio Basics 2TB Portable External Hard Drive 2.5 Inch USB 3.0
http://www.toshiba.co.uk/hard-drives/porta...b320ek3ca/

Server.
Raspberry Pi running stock Raspbian.
https://www.raspberrypi.org/downloads/raspbian/

Access Point.
ProRoute H820 4G/WiFi built in with 4/5 port switch at 10/100. I chose this as it was one I had already from a previous project, and in addition it was very tolerant on the supply voltage (10v to 48v AC/DC)
http://www.proroute.co.uk/proroute-4g-rout...4g-router/

Server configuration.
The RPi simply uses SMB to provide a network share, which you then mount the HDD into. The RPi running stock Raspbian needs to have Samba server installed. Suggest enabling SSH so you can access the RPi via Putty with a PC on the same LAN.
1. Install update to RPi and Upgrade
2. Install Samba and Samba-common-bin
3. Create shared directory and set permissions to 777
4. Plug in hard disk and identify its device ID (lsusb)
5. Edit /etc/fstab and add in the UUID of your USB HDD and mount point (shared directory in 3) so it mounts automatically every time the RPi starts
6. Edit Samba config file (/etc/samba/smb.conf) to allow Samba to share
7. Add user to RPi (useradd passwd)
8. Add same user to Samba

Client Configuration.
All clients running VLC (VideoLAN) in current off the shelf configuration. Ensure all clients are connected to the WiFi network and that the RPi is also connected. Open VideoLan and select Network/Local Network and you should see the Raspberry Pi. Select it and enter the Samba username and password and click SAVE, then CONNECT. It should then open up the shared folder you created on the RPi and you can then click any media file you have in there and it will play. The beauty of this is that VLC will pretty much play any format of video or music, so as long as you have media on the hard disk, it will play. I also created a dump directory so I could offload all the camera memory sticks when they got full, but this is the same just with a different folder on the hard disk.
With the RPi running Rasbian it is very fault tolerant and started up every time without being shutdown correctly as it really should have been. Once the kids had got used to opening VLC and connecting with the saved credentials and server address, even out youngest (5) had no problem picking what he wanted to watch. This was a great lifesaver as all three kids were able to watch what they wanted, when they wanted.
The server configuration is quite straightforward, but you should have at least some ability to understand the set up and configuration commands in Linux. Some understanding of Linux would be a benefit in case of troubleshooting. I am by no means an expert in Linux, but have enough knowledge to set this up and iron out the issues reasonably quickly. The great thing is that there is a ton of support out there for setting this type of thing up, and of course I am happy to help anyone who gets stuck on the way.
Seems strange posting this in the Defender2 forum, but hopefully it will help someone have the same uneventful peaceful journey we had down to Corsica and back.

Happy configuring!
Simon My 10th Land Rover, but my first Defender.
Post #642062 5th Aug 2017 6:39pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 8 of 11 <123 ... 78 91011>