↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Land Rover Customer Relations > delivery delay
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
treps

delivery delay
I am new to LR. I have on order an Adventure which was due to be delivered today. I literally just received an email from the dealer informing me that this is now delayed by 4 to 5 weeks due to 'manufacturing delays'.
Everyone is nice enough but I have to say that the dealer does come across as rather incompetent and totally aloof.
I have bought many new cars over the years from many different manufacturers, basic to expensive German ones and I have never witnessed this level of incompetence and total lack of concern for the customer. The dealer is pretty hard to get hold of, never calls back and then delivers this update via email. Add to this the thought of having to rely on the dealer for the inevitable warrantee claims as things do go wrong once the car eventually appears and I am very close to cancelling the whole order.
Off to kick the cat and have a large glass of wine before I pull the trigger.
How do you guys put up with LR's incompetence..?
Post #467878 30th Oct 2015 5:07pm
R1200GS

United Kingdom 2016 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Keswick Green
Look on the bright side, at least you knew it was due for delivery today😁

Mine has been on order for 4 months now and still has another couple to go..........not had a peep or a whisper
Since I placed the deposit.

Oh, well.....everything comes to those who wait !
Post #467884 30th Oct 2015 5:17pm
gilarion

Wales 2007 Defender 90 Other CSW Trident Green
Welcome to the wonderful world of Defender ownership. Smile

Just think of the excitement you will have over the years once you have ownership of one. with the leaks you will find, and noticing the panel alignment or should I say misalignment, the joy of watching rust form and paint bubble, the constant recalls and warranty disagreements, not to mention the intermittent faults that will drive you to distraction. I could go on but any more spoilers will ruin your enjoyment of the self-discovery of the many inherent faults of a Defender you will no doubt discover.

Saying all that once you sit in the driver’s seat and start it up then drive off you will find that your facial muscles pull your lips into a smile, then a wide grin and you will put up with all the incompetence of Dealers and learn to ignore the many faults, and the first time a fellow Defender owner waves at you, you will feel an emotion that is so pleasing it is difficult to describe.

Personally I would not be without a Defender and I have not been since 1984 and before that with Series 2 and 3 Land Rovers and believe me they had more faults. For those who like Welsh Mountains and narrow boats have a look at my videos and photos at..

http://www.youtube.com/user/conwy1
Post #467885 30th Oct 2015 5:22pm
YOLO110

Australia 
Yes, the Defender offsets a lot of this trauma!

I DO wonder however how the same dealer and JLR in general react or cope with those owners of RRS etc? Rolling Eyes YOLO... You Only Live Once...
Post #467941 30th Oct 2015 9:01pm
mse

United Kingdom 2016 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Scotia Grey
Owning new range rovers and discoverys...the experience is different when we moved from the 90...but then having 1 new car a year or 2 the dealer also looks after you because of that.

Sad that ab30k purchase is seen as cheap...but then they had a second hand Range Rover at 120 Shocked Mike
Post #467994 31st Oct 2015 2:33am
bpman

2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SVX Station Wagon Santorini Black
I don't generally bother with them since back in the uk .. There is the odd good one but it's more down to the individual sales person having an interest in defenders rather than the dealer

Bite your tongue for the time being. ... Won't be long before the dealers will be chasing looked after models
Post #468011 31st Oct 2015 8:21am
Matthias

Belgium 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Corris Grey
I have ordered mine 8 months ago and i still don't know when it will arrive. The dealer said there were some problems with the aircon in the factory.
Post #468192 31st Oct 2015 9:47pm
treps

wow; it sounds as if my experience is pretty widespread and 'normal'
my main concern is the fact that if service is so bad now (when I can still cancel the order) what will it be like during the inevitable warranty claims when things go wrong? Unlikely to be any better and that would be very extremely frustrating. Or do Harwoods aftersales get better?
Post #468197 31st Oct 2015 10:02pm
mse

United Kingdom 2016 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Scotia Grey
All the new LR's we have had (1-2 every year), i have known the last spec date (although on one this moved), its build date, delivery date and collection date. Only 1 slipped (discovery) and it was that that the last spec change date and delivery date moved, but i was informed of the change in delivery date.

I dont know why your not getting that. Mike
Post #468229 1st Nov 2015 12:26am
JOW240725

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Orkney Grey
Can you just switch to a different dealer once you get it? Service does seem to vary so much between dealers, which is such a shame, a polite phone call costs so little why wouldn't they do it!! Just silly, I'd be speaking the dealer manager.

For what it's worth, having just got a Defender after many years away, I just love it. They make no sense as people above have pointed out, but once you're behind the wheel it all just goes away and the smile takes over.

I hope it all works out for you. Out of interest what are you getting 90 or 110, Orange or Grey??
Post #468266 1st Nov 2015 10:41am
K9F

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
treps wrote:
....Or do Harwoods aftersales get better?

Delivery delays are generally not the fault of the Dealers that is why you'll never get a guaranteed time/date until your truck is confirmed as being on it's way.

Harwoods at both Tonbridge and Edendridge appear to have a good reputation on the forum from a service perspective at a glance!

Thumbs Up If you go through life with your head in the sand....all people will see is an ar5e!!

Treat every day as if it is your last....one day you will be right!!
Post #468318 1st Nov 2015 4:17pm
LEZ

United Kingdom 
They may be too busy contacting all their Disco Sport customers to tell them of the delays that they have.

I have used Beadles for 18 years, and thus far have not had a problem with them.
Post #468323 1st Nov 2015 4:36pm
Vintagepaul

2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Santorini Black
I think the level of service you get depends on who you deal with.

I bought my defender from Harwoods in Tonbridge this year, the first time I walked into the showroom the salesman said he was about to see a customer who had a prior appointment which was fair enough but he did promise to call me and email me to follow up our enquiry. I never heard another word from him.

A couple of weeks later I tried the dealership again and spoke to a different salesman who was brilliant, he went out of his way to get the deal I wanted.
Since then the defender has been back to them for some warranty work (water ingress unsurprisingly!) and they have been very good in getting that sorted.
I would persevere with them but if the salesman still causes you problems try an email to the dealer principal and explain your issues. 2015 Defender 90XS HT
Post #468333 1st Nov 2015 5:29pm
treps

Thanks all for the replies and advice as well as encouragements. I'll try to follow the collective advice and lower my expectations...and regain my sense of humour. Let's see. Rolling Eyes
@JOW240725 - The order is for an Adventure 110 Phoenix Orange
Post #468334 1st Nov 2015 5:33pm
Lord Hemming

United Kingdom 2016 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 Adventure Corris Grey
I received a call from Harwoods Tonbridge last week saying my Adventure 90 is being built this week and should be delivered to them early December. Once the Defender is built, it has to go to SVO for the roof rack, decals and snorkel to be fitted.

I may wait until Christmas eve to collect it Smile
Post #468875 2nd Nov 2015 11:37pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>