↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > My Defender > Roof Alignment Issue
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
CFB

United Kingdom 
Roof Alignment Issue
Did not notice when i collected as it was pouring down but looking at the Defender today there seems to be a major alignment issue with the roof line. Just above the N/S/R passenger door the roof rail dips significantly, on closer inspection the whole area under the alpine light is also pushed in and the door fit is very poor, looks as though the whole section has been pushed in. Not sure how this is possible, possibly just the usual shoddy Defender build quality?

Off to let the dealer look at it, should I be concerned? Main issue for me is was this factory damage that has been covered up?

Click image to enlarge
 Andy
Post #2684 11th Jul 2008 3:57pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
chalky

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Tonga Green
From the Photograph i would be concerned !

it looks raised at the front and then dips in the middle !

I,d take it back to the dealers.................. DEFENDER XS CSW 08 TONGA GREEN
Post #2685 11th Jul 2008 4:39pm
Alex e

England 2006 Defender 110 Td5 DCPU Zambezi Silver
did you park it a little to close to an outside light? seems to have melted.

Seriously though when i put a roof rack on mine the doors wouldn't open, i took it back to the dealer to complain and they gave me a new bag of air, 3 golf balls and a slap. Big Cry
Post #2686 11th Jul 2008 5:04pm
Icelandy

England 1985 Defender 110 Other PU Stornoway Grey
Get it back to the dealer.

That is way off!

Have seen a few build quality issues on the new defender but certainly nothing that bad. If a job is worth doing....

Its worth doing well....

So get someone who knows what they are doing! Smile
Post #2687 11th Jul 2008 5:39pm
CFB

United Kingdom 
Been to the dealers today, they were very helpful and agree it is not right. Now awaiting authorisation from LR to repair it, they are talking about fitting a whole new roof section Big Cry

Deja-vu is creeping in Andy
Post #2698 14th Jul 2008 1:33pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
solmanic

Australia 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
That's really odd - I was just noticing mine on the week-end and it is almost exactly the same as yours. And only on the LH side too. I can't say it bothers me that much as all the doors close fine and there are no leaks. I expect if I went back to the dealer to get it fixed I may open up a whole can of worms. They tend to create two new problems for every one they fix - and that's a whopper. I don't think I'll chance it and just leave it be. 2007 Defender 110
1970 Alfa Romeo 1750GTV
Post #2701 14th Jul 2008 2:10pm
CFB

United Kingdom 
As it stands I am not too fussed either as there are no leaks and no wind noises from the door seals. What concerns me is that come re-sale time a dealer will look at it and devalue the car as a result, thinking it has suffered damage of some sort. Andy
Post #2702 14th Jul 2008 2:14pm
AndrewS

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 130 Puma 2.2 SW Rimini Red
Post #2703 14th Jul 2008 2:32pm
Fatboy Slim

Wales 
Hate to be the bringer of bad news chaps, but I dont think its actually the roof thats at fault there Sad Having built a good few defenders, that looks to me like a rear tub and bulkhead alignment issue. Had it a couple of times and can be a right sod to sort out as when you move one thing something else won't fit or the doors won't shut nicely, etc, etc. Saynig that it shouldn't be a problem for a capable dealer to sort out with a bit of jiggery pokery.

Good Luck!!

Stu
Post #2714 14th Jul 2008 6:28pm
solmanic

Australia 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
I agree - it looks like the tub at the rear is forcing the roof up. On my "good" side you can more clearly see that this is what's happening.

Here is the LH "bad" side...

Click image to enlarge

And here is the RH "good" side... the rear portion still looks like it's kicking up a bit.

Click image to enlarge
 2007 Defender 110
1970 Alfa Romeo 1750GTV
Post #2720 15th Jul 2008 12:34am
CFB

United Kingdom 
Seems they are all like this to a degree then. I still think mine is way out though, coupled witht he misaligned door it does need sorting.

I have also noticed that where the rear roof section joins the front roof section, the filler has cracked along the seam at the same side, indicates it is twisted. Andy
Post #2727 15th Jul 2008 10:34am
mse

United Kingdom 2016 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Scotia Grey
Large or small all of those, if mine, would have been back for top quality repair or vehicle replaced, that is appauling and the way i look at it i wouldnt buy it second hand so thats devalued it.

Plus ive seen loads of 110's without any issues. Mike
Post #2744 15th Jul 2008 6:22pm
Fatboy Slim

Wales 
Had a look at a 110 utility station wagon on a 57 plate today with a similar problem. Is your door alignment issue with the 2nd row door on the 'bad' side? Looks to me like the back body (tub) needs realigning on its outriggers, along with the centre door pillar and bulkhead. Not too major to do, a few hours faffing around with it should sort it. You'll be suprised how much adjustment is available on the major body components. Did the dealer offer to just replace the roof???

Stu
Post #2748 15th Jul 2008 6:34pm
CFB

United Kingdom 
They said it needs a new roof as it is slightly deformed, I guess they won't just plonk it on though and will re-align things first. Andy
Post #2750 15th Jul 2008 7:04pm
Bogblaster

United Kingdom 2016 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 Adventure Corris Grey
FFRR V8 for you again CFB, not for the first time I might add!

I appear to have got rid off all the niggles on mine now, with the exception of the ABS / TC lights coming on, when it goes in for a service I will get it sorted, getting very good at turning it on I am! Journey from Bourton-on-the-Water to Gloucester I got it on 6 times, but I was in a BIG hurry Whistle

Over all I am very pleased with the truck, it is doing 24 mpg, nice and comfortable and plenty quick enough, even had my 16 year old son asking me to slow down Twisted Evil 2019 MY Disco 5 HSE Lux
Audi A4 Avant 3.0L TDI Quattro - WOW
2016 90 Adventure
Post #2757 15th Jul 2008 8:38pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>