↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > My Defender > Roof Alignment Issue
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
simond

United Kingdom 
There have been major alignment problems, I posted my Jan 08 90 with totally misaligned shell.

Got a few comments on here calling me too fussy (because windows did not fit and I could not open some of the doors) and some sympathy.

I don't think anyone should be in any doubt, buying a new Defender at the moment is nothing more than a lottery. The chances of you getting a straight one seem less good than ever.

I cannot imagine the type of control and supervision on the Defender line. Outwardly it would seem that they are being thrown together and delivered to you with absolutely no quality of work or subsequent checking.

My unit was a disgrace and from the pictures I've seen here things are worse than when Red Robbo was in charge.

Land Rover have never contacted me regarding the bent one, and the other blue bent unit that followed it. How the company can afford all the post rectification work is beyond me. Mine was so bad that when LR asked the dealer to fix it they refused.

I have an Indian Tafe tractor and the build quality and consistency is miles better than a Defender. I think the workforce and management on the Defender line have got a big shock coming. I can't see Tata standing for this.

If you have a Defender on order check all the alignment carefully before handing over your cheque. In particular the B pillars and their alignment with roof and lower door areas.

My April 08 new 'straight' one (in black) has developed rust on the corner of the bulkhead, and on the rear of the bonnet. There is a clonk selecting 3rd and a transmission clunk which the dealer says will get better. I'm delighted with it compared to the other ones! Just fitted some fab tyres, 265 `General Grabbers, very sticky, thanks AJS! Simon D
Post #3292 24th Aug 2008 8:15pm
CFB

United Kingdom 
Glad I'm not the only one.

I have had 2 duffers and will not touch one again I'm afraid. Gone back in a D3 HSE and it's fabulous. Andy
Post #3293 24th Aug 2008 8:41pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
mse

United Kingdom 2016 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Scotia Grey
CFB wrote:
Glad I'm not the only one.

I have had 2 duffers and will not touch one again I'm afraid. Gone back in a D3 HSE and it's fabulous.

Irony they are made 20ft from each other.

I have a feeling that the money saving approach to keep ford's favour has hit a little too hard. I know they have lost a fair portion of the teams to polish type workers. Mike
Post #3294 24th Aug 2008 9:09pm
AndrewS

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 130 Puma 2.2 SW Rimini Red
mse wrote:
I have a feeling that the money saving approach to keep ford's favour has hit a little too hard.

Yep Thumbs Up this is why I think there have been so many diff failures.
Post #3300 25th Aug 2008 6:08pm
Fatboy Slim

Wales 
Mine cost me nearly £20k in lost revenue. I Censored off a lot of my customers that have been with me since the beginning due to a vehicle that is not designed or put together properly. Sad but true. Gone back to Td5's now as I find them a lot more of a 'solid' motor, driveline probs are minimal to non existant Thumbs Up

Same story with the transit vans, too much downtime. Sent 6 back, got refund, walked straight into Mercs and bought new sprinters. Had them before, tried the transit as the deals seemed unbeatable but by f Censored Censored k it cost me dear in the long run Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad
Post #3313 26th Aug 2008 8:16pm
mse

i dont think they are that bad - there is always a bad few in any car. Mike
Post #3315 26th Aug 2008 8:43pm
RLD

United Kingdom 
don't think the Defender and D3 are made in the same building did not see it last week when i was there Whistle
Post #3323 27th Aug 2008 12:56pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
solmanic

Australia 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
Yes they are. And the FFRR and RRS as well. It's only the Freelanders that are made elsewhere (Halewood). The Defenders have their own little area towards the rear (from where you enter on a tour) which is the only part of the final assembly area that actually looks like a mechanic's workshop. It's like you time warp back 50 years when you enter that part of the factory - lots of rubber mallet work. 2007 Defender 110
1970 Alfa Romeo 1750GTV
Post #3327 27th Aug 2008 2:09pm
mse

RLD wrote:
don't think the Defender and D3 are made in the same building did not see it last week when i was there Whistle

Yep they certainly are.

I suppose im very lucky (ok i am very lucky) ive had and got family at different senior levels at LR and I work (from a regulatory point) with them (not automotively) and also have some friends there.

Hence, ive had the factory tour, jungle track tour, gaydon tour, test track tour, new not launched car tours, assembled (work experience) cars, office tour etc etc (and gaydon is the best place to be allowed to play)

As mentioned only the freelander is up north - but even that used to be there...to be honest some of the reason for moving it was space - Solihull is busy in the week Mike
Post #3333 27th Aug 2008 6:51pm
simond

United Kingdom 
Quote:
Same story with the transit vans, too much downtime. Sent 6 back, got refund, walked straight into Mercs and bought new sprinters. Had them before, tried the transit as the deals seemed unbeatable but by f k it cost me dear in the long run

We bought some new Sprinters in late 06 (the new shape, made in Spain) and they have all had engine management problems. One had a misaligned roof so the Merc Genuine roof rack wouldn't fit.

Now the old Sprinter (pre 06) - that was built like a brick toilet. Those days are over.

We're buying Renault vans now on contract hire; we keep them for 3 years (until the warranty runs out) and then back them. Haven't been any less reliable than new shape Sprinter! Simon D
Post #3669 6th Sep 2008 10:12pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12