↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Koni heavy track raid pin to pin
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
8619simon

Wales 1995 Defender 110 300 Tdi CSW Epsom Green
Koni heavy track raid pin to pin
I fancy upgrading to a pin to pin setup on the rear of my 300tdi 110 csw. It’s set up for overlanding and remote travel. I know a few on here have done pin to pin with Fox 2.0 by fitting front shocks to back and Gwyn Lewis does an Old Man Emu kit.

Has anyone had experience of using Koni Heavy Track Raid in this type of set up, i.e fitting a pair of front shocks to the rear?

Thanks
Post #948050 4th Apr 2022 8:49pm
Harry.O

United Kingdom 1989 Defender 90 300 Tdi ST Nato Green
I've no experience of the Koni shocks but recently fitted the OME pin-pin units on the back of my 110, in conjunction with Gwyn Lewis mounts. I went for the GL2006 versions with the slightly stronger damping and am very happy, I'll be doing the fronts soon with the GL2005 shocks Thumbs Up

https://gwynlewis4x4.co.uk/product/adventu...ck-single/

https://gwynlewis4x4.co.uk/product/rear-ad...nt-gl1171/ 2005 Td5 110 Hardtop
1989 300Tdi 90 Soft top
1992 200Tdi 90 Truck cab with Land Cruiser axles
Post #948147 5th Apr 2022 11:08am
geobloke

United Kingdom 
I absolutely hated the Koni shocks on my 110, they were so hard to adjust, made the suspension jerky and rusted really quickly. For me it was a case of wasted money because I thought hey wouldn't it be cool to be able to adjust the shocks depending on the load I am carrying, but no it was not cool and having to take the shocks off to adjust them was a royal PITA.

Now back on OME shocks and springs all round and I couldn't be happier. I know others have had good experiences with Koni's, but I am not one of them.

As for the numerous suspension setup that I have had over the years, the Gwyn Lewis kit is still my favourite all rounder for road and green laning. Does everything you need and is built to last. Should never have taken it off... Rolling Eyes
Post #948160 5th Apr 2022 12:37pm
8619simon

Thanks both, sounds like the Gwyn Lewis OME kit is popular, to be honest I’ve not heard any bad reports of it. I currently have Koni Heavy tracks on at the moment and to be honest I have been pleased with them, agree @geobloke regarding the rusting and adjustment being a PITA but once I got the setting right they performed well enough.

How have you found the Gwyn Lewis kit under heavy loads? When away on trips we are a family of four with roof tent, ground tent and lots of crap that the kids cannot seem to leave behind Rolling Eyes
Post #948262 5th Apr 2022 11:09pm
miker

United Kingdom 1999 Defender 110 Td5 CSW Rioja Red
What's the advantage of pin to pin? Just getting rid of the upper Bush and it's tendency to fail rapidly?
Post #948266 5th Apr 2022 11:51pm
mark1200

England 2004 Defender 90 Td5 HT Caledonian Blue
the pin to pin shock mounts allow more movement and its a lot stronger too. most new shock ring bushes are only fusion welded and can snap off more so when at full articulation.
Post #948275 6th Apr 2022 6:56am
geobloke

United Kingdom 
8619simon wrote:
Thanks both, sounds like the Gwyn Lewis OME kit is popular, to be honest I’ve not heard any bad reports of it. I currently have Koni Heavy tracks on at the moment and to be honest I have been pleased with them, agree @geobloke regarding the rusting and adjustment being a PITA but once I got the setting right they performed well enough.

How have you found the Gwyn Lewis kit under heavy loads? When away on trips we are a family of four with roof tent, ground tent and lots of crap that the kids cannot seem to leave behind Rolling Eyes

Well I am glad I wasn't alone with my experience. Rolling Eyes So, in answer to your question yes the GL kit is fine with heavy loads and towing. I had the first iteration of the GL kit where the rear shock mounts had just the one fitting hole for maximum axle articulation. It is after all designed for just that. But GL did produce a top mount with a choice of three holes, the most vertical of which is supposed to be better for road driving. I guess it would take 10 maybe 15 minutes to shift the shock from the road position to the extreme off road position.

A long time ago now I wrote a fitting guide for the kit (albeit on another forum - not sure if I will get a slapped wrist here) - https://www.lrukforums.com/resources/fitti...e-kit.192/

Personally, I have had the GL kit on my old 200tdi 90 and Miffy (2003 110) and it works beautifully. I have had it lightweight, towing trailers and fully laden on long distance touring trips. Never had a problem with it. It works and it works really well.

Plus, GL is a great bloke and for me just over the hill and down the road. Thumbs Up
Post #948281 6th Apr 2022 8:20am
8619simon

Quote:
Well I am glad I wasn't alone with my experience. Rolling Eyes So, in answer to your question yes the GL kit is fine with heavy loads and towing. I had the first iteration of the GL kit where the rear shock mounts had just the one fitting hole for maximum axle articulation. It is after all designed for just that. But GL did produce a top mount with a choice of three holes, the most vertical of which is supposed to be better for road driving. I guess it would take 10 maybe 15 minutes to shift the shock from the road position to the extreme off road position.

A long time ago now I wrote a fitting guide for the kit (albeit on another forum - not sure if I will get a slapped wrist here) - https://www.lrukforums.com/resources/fitti...e-kit.192/

Personally, I have had the GL kit on my old 200tdi 90 and Miffy (2003 110) and it works beautifully. I have had it lightweight, towing trailers and fully laden on long distance touring trips. Never had a problem with it. It works and it works really well.

Plus, GL is a great bloke and for me just over the hill and down the road. Thumbs Up

Can I ask whether you went for GL's Adventure or Explorer kit?
Post #948664 8th Apr 2022 6:08pm
geobloke

United Kingdom 
Neither. I had the Challenger kit with the +5" shocks and +2" springs.

https://gwynlewis4x4.co.uk/gwyn-lewis-chal...t-pricing/

Those 2" of extra travel make a huge difference when off road and are unnoticeable when on-road. It's all about the droop you know... Rolling Eyes
Post #948671 8th Apr 2022 6:27pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
D44 Does those brackets for pin to pin too.

I’ve had a standard rear damper upper snap before but was using firm polybushes.
The upper rubber is a pain to change on standard dampers with an eye.

So I can see the advantages. Diesel$ Live$ Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧

Last edited by custom90 on 3rd Nov 2022 7:55pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #948703 8th Apr 2022 9:21pm
landy andy

2006 Defender 110 Td5 USW Zermatt Silver
Hard to beat Gwyn’s challenge kit, and that is why so many people/companies have copied/stolen it.
Post #948820 9th Apr 2022 8:54pm
8619simon

Thank you everyone for the advice and feedback. I think this might turn out to be an expensive thread for me Shocked Smile

Have emailed GL for some specific recommendations on my set up.
Post #948826 9th Apr 2022 9:36pm
8619simon

Well by way of some feedback……. After a few conversations with Gwyn at Gwyn Lewis 4x4 I went for his Explorer set up with +3 inch shocks and a pin to pin conversion on the back. I’ve now covered over 5,000 miles on and off road and have to say I am really pleased!

I covered 3,500 miles on recent trip to the Pyrenees and the setup performed brilliantly. Road manners are comfortable and predictable and it is definitely more capable off road with the increase flex and suppleness. As a daily driver I still have the roof tent on top but the back is mostly empty and it isn’t harsh at all. I really love the simplicity of the set up and as an added advantage I only need to carry a single spare shock when travelling remote.

Suspension vs use is always going to have some compromises but for me this is hitting all my needs. It works well as a daily, can be loaded up for weekend camping and works well in extended overlanding trips Thumbs Up

Thank you to all who commented and shared their feedback……. Much appreciated, even though my wallet is a little lighter Rolling Eyes

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
Post #969777 2nd Nov 2022 9:21pm
geobloke

United Kingdom 
Excellent Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Really glad you have had a good experience. I really really regret taking off my Gwyn Lewis setup... Hey-ho, will go back in the future I suspect Smile
Post #969835 3rd Nov 2022 12:45pm
hxk494

United Kingdom 
Would love to hear more about the explorer set up you went with as your 110 is almost exactly the same as mine, 300tdi, same tent etc and similar usage by the sound of things and have been planning a bit of a suspension upgrade for some time.

What springs/lift are you running and what shocks (2001 Front & 2009 Rear?) Front ARB or no ARB?

Anything else useful you can share would be much appreciated.

Cheers, Martin 1996 300Tdi Defender 110
Post #969859 3rd Nov 2022 6:20pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>