↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Off Topic > The Shooting Thread
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 37 of 41 <123 ... 363738 394041>
Print this entire topic · 
Huttopia

United Kingdom 
AJC wrote:
Took my lab working on Saturday, i was first one on the drive to reach my position so i had a nice 30 minute wait with a view. sat there with a brew and the dog.
She's a belting dog with the patience that only a labrador can have.

Caught a good picture of sundays tea too!

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Cracking pictures, what a lovely spot.

I was half expecting a picture of the lab retrieving Sunday lunch! Clearly not if that is on the menu!! Reminded me of a day out.....a friend of mine had a massive great lab which had been a real handful as a youngster but settled down nicely in middle age. During a drive a large dog fox ran down the line and was shot (safely) by the end gun. We had finished the drive and were having a chat and his dog turned up and deposited the fox at his feet - I don't think I've ever seen a dog look more pleased with himself. Laughing

A few weeks later the same dog was left in his owners pick up for a drive, and had obviously eaten something that disagreed with him. Fair play, he'd tried to get out by chewing the doors, the seats, the dash etc, but eventually had to go. All the guns were in the yard when the owner opened the door, the dog slinked out and the poo ran off the seat and over the sill. It was everywhere. I thought it greatly enhanced the Navara.
Post #862400 19th Oct 2020 12:01pm
Huttopia

United Kingdom 
First
With the lockdown underway there is no formal shooting going on so on Saturday I went for a wander around the farm with the now 10 month old spanner. My son and I have been doing a bit of training with her, but this was her first time out with the gun. She worked nicely, flushed a few birds, dropped to shot nicely and then tried to retrieve this one. Given she is 15lbs it was always going to be a tough ask, so I picked it myself. In time, when the youngster is a bit more sensible / independent I'll take a lab with me to do the retrieve!

Click image to enlarge
Post #866280 9th Nov 2020 3:14pm
Doc P

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Firenze Red
Thumbs Up
Post #867181 13th Nov 2020 10:10pm
Huttopia

United Kingdom 
I stayed in the Arundell Arms, Lifton earlier this week. It is quite a famous old fishing and shooting hotel, but it was getting rather tired. Happily it changed hands in the summer and has had a complete makeover. It now looks really smart and the food is fantastic. All of the things that an away gun would need are there, a drying room, gun cleaning area, cabinet, heated kennels......all very impressive.

The new owner is very keen on Land Rovers and has a Series 2 and a late Def 90 both with The Arundell sign writing.
Post #873463 17th Dec 2020 5:51pm
diduan

Bulgaria 
It's mallard time in the south east of Europe.

Click image to enlarge
 Defender 110 SW MY2011 2.4tdci decat, no EGR
Jeep Wrangler YJ 1990 4.0. Front 78' Dana 60, Rear CUCV 14 bolt
Post #873477 17th Dec 2020 7:26pm
Harry.O

United Kingdom 1989 Defender 90 300 Tdi ST Nato Green
Huttopia wrote:
I stayed in the Arundell Arms, Lifton earlier this week. It is quite a famous old fishing and shooting hotel, but it was getting rather tired. Happily it changed hands in the summer and has had a complete makeover. It now looks really smart and the food is fantastic. All of the things that an away gun would need are there, a drying room, gun cleaning area, cabinet, heated kennels......all very impressive.

The new owner is very keen on Land Rovers and has a Series 2 and a late Def 90 both with The Arundell sign writing.

That's great to hear, we tried to stay there after lockdown Mk 1 for a fishing trip but they were closed for renovations. Glad it's back to former glory as it was getting a little tired Thumbs Up 2005 Td5 110 Hardtop
1989 300Tdi 90 Soft top
1992 200Tdi 90 Truck cab with Land Cruiser axles
Post #873581 18th Dec 2020 1:10pm
Huttopia

United Kingdom 
Here is my shoot bus, which has been pressed into service whilst I'm Defenderless. in fairness looks smarter than it is. It is booked in for a bit of electrical work in Jan - the ABS and Traction control lights have come on AGAIN, the microswitch in the driver's door is temperamental and the internal temp fan is unhappy. It is then in for some tlc to the bodywork, wheel refurb, caliper tidy up etc in Feb. I accept I'm odd feeling the love for a P38 but there we go. It was very comfortable on the run down to Devon last week, albeit at 17mpg... Who knows, it might even be smart enough to take part in the belated 50th anniversary RR events.

Click image to enlarge
Post #873965 21st Dec 2020 12:00pm
SJM2018

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Aintree Green
Hi all,

I have a 21 month old lab and he’s still not been out with guns.

He’s an awkward age, too young/silly last season and has missed this season due to Covid (the small syndicate my parents are involved with didn’t want anyone new attending this year).

I’ve taken him to clay grounds and played / trained in the car park. He doesn’t appear to be gun-shy, but I do worry the longer we leave it, the more likely he’ll have issues when the sound is nearer.

Also, while he’s good on dummies and we’ve done a bit of work with cold game, he’s never picked up anything freshly shot.

Do you have any other ideas of what else I can do to familiarise him? (I don’t have a SGC or any land to shoot on currently). Am I overthink the picking up part, after working on cold game, do the dogs just get it?

Kind regards
Stu 2011 CSW XS 90
Post #874000 21st Dec 2020 5:11pm
Huttopia

United Kingdom 
Hi Stu,

It is very difficult to offer advice without seeing the dog - they all have different temperaments and mature at different speeds. You don't say whether you want him on the peg or as a picking up dog or a bit of both?

Regardless......I wouldn't worry. My first lab was 4 before she came shooting (I didn't shoot when we got her) but she quickly worked it out. If your dog is comfortable around shot, retrieving dummies and cold game, then moving onto warm birds should be a straightforward transition, one he is unlikely to give a moments thought. The main challenge with a 21 month old lab is likely to be steadiness, so I'd use this Covid time to work on the foundations, recall, stop whistle, heelwork, nice presentation etc, it will all make working the dog much more enjoyable when the time comes.

Have you got a little starting pistol with blanks and somewhere to use it? It can be useful to work on steadiness, especially if you sit him up and throw a few feathered dummies around. I wouldn't bother taking the dog to a clay ground - what is in it for the dog, where is the reward? You are in effect asking him to switch off permanently, when in fact you want the dog focused on you and the immediate environment.

Here is my 3 year old on Saturday, watching the neighbouring gun in disgust at my efforts.....

Click image to enlarge
Post #874007 21st Dec 2020 6:00pm
SJM2018

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Aintree Green
Thank you for the response!

Likely a bit of both. Originally, I had no intention of shooting with him, but he’s so wired and driven (both parents are a ‘proper’ working dog/bitch) that I got into gundog training as a way of tiring him out mentally/physically and ended up really enjoying it.

You’re bang on the money, his biggest weakness at the moment is steadiness.

We were training with Geoff Shore in Bristol (excellent trainer in my opinion) before the second lockdown and he appeared to be getting better. However, he quickly associates new places with specific activities and what I expect of him there, but as soon as you take him somewhere new, it all goes out the window.

Since the second lockdown, I’ve been reading Pippa Mattinson’s book and working on the basics and trying to do this in various new places; he’s slowly getting better.

Hopefully I can get some more time with Geoff now we’re in tier 2 to keep working on it!

Click image to enlarge

Edit: Harness and long line are due to living in a city and other people not having control of their dogs, which can lead him awry!! 2011 CSW XS 90
Post #874011 21st Dec 2020 6:40pm
Co1

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Loire Blue
Pipa mattisons book is great. Was a big help for me.
Post #874034 21st Dec 2020 8:23pm
Huttopia

United Kingdom 
Over the year I think I’ve done more training (with varying degrees of success) with my dogs in the house than outside. 5 or 10 minutes of an evening is ideal for steadiness. Sit the dog up walk back away from it a short distance, go back to it and reward, repeat (vary the distance / time until you can walk around the dog in a circle without it breaking). I also dance around a bit to reinforce the steadiness- so the dog doesn’t confuse me stretching a shoulder when I’m on the peg with an out command- weird I know but it has paid dividends!

So labs I’m happy with....small brown cocker spaniels remain a work in progress- something I suspect I’ll be saying when she’s 10...

Click image to enlarge

Merry Christmas 🎄
Post #874036 21st Dec 2020 8:31pm
jst

2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Stornoway Grey
Well what could be better than a little off roading and some shooting! Been asked to conduct vermin control, squirrels, on new shoot ground. Thought I would dig out an older daysate for the job!

Click image to enlarge
 Cheers

James
110 XS Utility
130 Puma Station wagon/camper (in the making)
90 Puma Hardtop
Post #887747 25th Feb 2021 3:09pm
jst

2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Stornoway Grey
A bit of fun over the weekend. Neither are mine i might add.

Click image to enlarge

Not linked to this but just looking at options and thinking on foxing calibre, 22/250? Seems nice and flatish to 300. Cheers

James
110 XS Utility
130 Puma Station wagon/camper (in the making)
90 Puma Hardtop
Post #901082 2nd May 2021 6:57pm
Supacat

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS DCPU Keswick Green
So - what's the right type of licence for this?

"PLEASE NOTE THE GUN AND ARMAMENTS WILL BE DEACTIVATED UNLESS SOLD TO ANYONE WITH THE RELEVANT LICENCE"

Click image to enlarge

https://bid.mod-sales.com/auctions/7821/wi...2c00faf717
Post #904256 21st May 2021 11:19am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 37 of 41 <123 ... 363738 394041>