Home > Td5 > Roamer Drive (Rover Drive)
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
Little Tom

United Kingdom 2004 Defender 110 Td5 CSW Bonatti Grey
Roamer Drive (Rover Drive)
Hi chaps,

For what its worth I thought I'd give you my opinion so far on my Roamer Drive. I purchased around a month ago and fitted it over a weekend, the instructions were clear but the key sticking points for me in the TD5 were the handbrake cable and wiring looms being in the way which needed to be moved out of the way. Also had the transfer sump gasket refuse to come unstuck, I replaced it with the extended sump cover also. I bought all the kit from Martin at rocky mountain spares, really helpful chap.

Anyways, after a month with the Roamer Drive fitted i'm a happy chap, I had spent around a year looking into both the roamer drive and disco transfer box change and in the end went with the overdrive option. Its a treat to pull onto the motorway and engage the overdrive, the rev's drop right down and noise levels drop significantly. Don't get me wrong, its still a defender but a quieter beast.

I had the pleasure of gutting the front foot wells and transmission cover, that was probably the hardest part, several rusted bolts holding the transmission cover down, once it was all gutted it really makes you realise what is between you and the chassis... not much. I ended up having to use an oscillator to cut some of the screws around the transmission cover but wasn't prepared for this so I didn't have any replacement screws or those chassis plug things. So a couple of weeks later I was gutting it again to make right all the things I'd butchered. I also bought some sound proof matting as I thought while i'm in there I might as well fit some.

So all in all I now have a Defender that is more comfy on the motorways and a visa card bill that make me sigh. Sorry for the lack of pics but as it was only me doing it I spent most of the day covered in transfer oil and really could not be bothered. Crying or Very sad Michael was just telling me a story about a friend of his who slept with a land rover, lonely nights in the desert..
Post #437465 13th Jul 2015 4:34pm
ajps72

2001 Defender 110 Td5 SW Chawton White
Hello Little Tom, Do you have MPG yet?? I am trying to justify the cost with the increased MPG. Augusto

Defender 110 TD5 2001
Discovery 4 TDV6
Post #437516 13th Jul 2015 8:07pm
CDN38

Canada 2000 Defender 110 Td5 SW Bonatti Grey
Brilliant piece of kit, isn't it? They are made just down the road from where I live in Vancouver by a wonderful chap named Ray Wood.

I have had mine for 6 months now, and can't imagine driving my Td5 without it.

I have been getting a pretty consistent 28 MPG
Post #437576 14th Jul 2015 4:08am
Double_R

England 2014 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Corris Grey
I considered the overdrive for my TD5 but in the end went for a new 1.2 gear set from Ashcroft because the garage told me it would be more reliable. As it turns out I had to have the gears replaced under warranty due to excessive noise!

Be interesting to know how the drop in revs compare between the two options, also is there any additional transmission noise with the overdrive?

If I had the money I'd like to have the overdrive in addition to the 1.2 gear set I think this would be the ultimate.
Post #437608 14th Jul 2015 10:02am
taazzukcb

United Kingdom 2004 Defender 110 Td5 DCPU Stornoway Grey
Cant remember exact figures, but the Roamerdrive is something like a 28% drop in RPM, the 1.2 is 16-18% I think.

The 1.2, plus Roamerdrive might be a little to far on the Defender TD5. Depending on what set-up you run of course.
Post #437615 14th Jul 2015 10:23am
ROBBONTHEROCK

Scotland 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Firenze Red
I run a 1.2 transfer box on my TD5 and its great, but it needs the ECU remap.

Its a bit sluggish when cold, i.e. need to give it some revs when pulling away in first, but once warmed up its ace. Not noticeable in Summer, but is in Winter.

I would say that if you can keep the standard transfer box and use a roamer drive to get the gearing you want that would be the best in my mind.

I don't tow with my landy, but if I did i'm willing to believe it would be a bit sluggish in the winter.

Cheers
Andy
Post #437650 14th Jul 2015 12:56pm
Guzzio

With the overdrive fitted, does the cruise control still works when overdrive engaged?
Post #437652 14th Jul 2015 1:23pm
ajps72

2001 Defender 110 Td5 SW Chawton White
CDN38 wrote:

I have been getting a pretty consistent 28 MPG

How much did you get before the Roemerdrive?? Augusto

Defender 110 TD5 2001
Discovery 4 TDV6
Post #437669 14th Jul 2015 3:37pm
CDN38

I was getting about 25 -26 mpg. Now it's 28-30mpg. Depends on how much highway driving I'm doing. Best mileage was a 19 hour drive to Utah, 30MPG, I was doing an average of 125kmh

taazzukcb- you are correct on the RPM drop. 28% when engaged.
Post #437695 14th Jul 2015 5:34pm
MadTom

Czech Republic 1999 Defender 130 Td5 HCPU Baltic Blue
Try this to calculate you drivetrain ratios:
http://www.ashcroft-transmissions.co.uk/calc/ratio_calc.html
I have Disco2 TD5 - a bit tuned on 235/85/R16 tyres, heavily loaded (4 people, roof tent, ...) and Defender 130 TD5, pure standard on the same tires. Disco is much heavier to start moving of the car, than the 130, need more clutch action. The only difference is the transfer box ratio - Disco has 1:1.2, 130 has 1:1.4.
For 130 I have prepared a bit bigger tyres 255/85/R16, overdrive and 1:3.8 gears to both diffs. This will make the car a bit slower without overdrive engaged and faster with engaged. So I hope, it will be fine on small roads and light offroad without overdrive engaged, and on highways with overdrive, to reduce the high RPM.
Current Disco is fine on highways or offroad, tuned TD5 has plenty of power, but need a bit more clutch action. Last year during our trip to Alps I had to use low range too often, to save the clutch, when we were over 2500 ASL. "Drobek" = The Small One - Discovery 2, "Blufínek" = The Blue Thing - Defender 130, and for me at least Ford Mondeo Smile
Post #437718 14th Jul 2015 6:41pm
Little Tom

United Kingdom 2004 Defender 110 Td5 CSW Bonatti Grey
After a drive down from Preston to Portsmouth and then Cherbourg to Santander with various adventures on the way, I can honestly say the roamerdrive is a brilliant addition. Comparing last years trip round France with this years, the volume levels and driving comfort are vastly improved, it really came into its own on the French motorways. Michael was just telling me a story about a friend of his who slept with a land rover, lonely nights in the desert..
Post #451787 3rd Sep 2015 1:47pm
alexatnd

United Kingdom 
I've got 2 of them, one in my Series III and one in gertie, one of our 110's. Took Gertied round France, 4 passengers, roof box, back full of camping stuff and 5 bikes hanging off the back. Never bother coming out of overdrive. Got a consistent 26 - 27 mpg. At home we get 28mpg.

Hard to tell what mpg on the Series III, needs a new carb fitting, the old Zenith is way past its best.

When I've got the cash definitely going to upgrade Effie our other 110.
A Santa - 1977 Series 3 - new chassis, tub, disc brakes,SU Carb
Gertie - 1999 110 TD5 - like a Phoenix from the ashes back on road... almost
Effie - 2004 110 TD5 County
Post #463827 16th Oct 2015 5:14pm
CDN38

and being able to drive on a highway and do this .....

Click image to enlarge

is FANTASTIC!!
Post #463838 16th Oct 2015 5:54pm
geobloke

United Kingdom 
Ok folks with Roamerdrives... Updates on how your overdrive has faired since 2015 if you please... On the verge of pushing the OD button. thanks Smile
Post #798384 16th Oct 2019 8:48am
lightning

United Kingdom 
I believe a compromise is to use the Ashcroft 1.3 gear ratio set in the transfer box, rather than the 1.2

While not as good as the Roamerdrive, it’s an improvement on the standard 1.4 gear set without the expense or issues with first gear being too high.
Post #798386 16th Oct 2019 9:06am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>