↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Td5 > Pimp my ride, so to speak
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
dougelec

United Kingdom 2000 Defender 110 2.5 TD CSW Rioja Red
Pimp my ride, so to speak
Bought my Td5 110 defender just over a year ago as weekend, greenlaning type car but since then I've completely fell in love with the experience, sold my relatively new Kia and now the Landy is my daily drive. It's in good nick for fifteen years old, the engine is spot on and the whole family love it, especially our Border Collie, who would galdly live in there if she could.

My only gripe is how tiring it is to drive on long runs. We regularly drive over to the Lakes, which is approximately a two hour run, and I'm knackered by the end. I've fitted a Noise Killer sound insulation kit in the front, a blanket over the engine and am currently lining the load space and wheel aches with Silent Coat, which will hopefully make a difference.

I have funds from the sale of the other car so I was just wondering if anyone could suggest other ways to make the Landy a more comfortable drive and what they'd add if money were no object.
Post #432751 22nd Jun 2015 10:02am
bluebottle

United Kingdom 
I'm in a similar position.

I'm looking towards an ECU remap and exchange of the high-ratio box for a Discovery one to enable lower engine revs at motorway speeds. These are not cheap though so I'm probably going to do that sometime next year when I've saved up.

However, I am seriously considering new seats - I'm eagerly awaiting developments on this thread actually.
Post #432759 22nd Jun 2015 10:41am
dougelec

New seats, sounds obvious but never entered my head. We're off to a good start!!! Very Happy
Post #432762 22nd Jun 2015 10:46am
Clive

United Kingdom 2004 Defender 90 Td5 X-Tech LE Zambezi Silver
As Bluebottle says, swapping to a Discovery transfer box is a good way to bring the revs down at motorway speeds, alternatively an overdrive unit is another way to achieve the same rev reduction while still maintaining the lower gear ranges for lower speed manoeuvring, towing or off-road etc.

Mine came with a GKN overdrive already fitted ( Mr. Green ) and it makes a huge difference to the engine noise when engaged at 60 or 70 mph.
Post #432765 22nd Jun 2015 10:50am
consumerize

United Kingdom 2004 Defender 90 2.5 TD SW Java Black
I have Silentcoat on every panel of mine, including roof. On top of that is foam padding, and the roof liner. On the floor, there is Silent Coat, foam padding, carpet and thick rubber LR mat. Its still loud. Its then engine and transmission, you just can't reduce the noise as there is little or no sound deadening behind the dash, and the air vents on the front and thin windscreen don't help. It has stopped all the road noise, gushing of water from wet roads on wheel arches etc.

tracking down and stopping all the little rattles from windows, trim etc takes away a lot of irritation also.

Turning the radio up seems to help....

For comfort, the best mods I would say I have made are :

Fitting a smaller steering wheel. better manoeuvrability and much less elbow bashing on the door.

Changing the seats. For me, the original ones are back breakers. I replaced them with Mazda RX8 seats. Leather, heated and electrically operated. Very comfortable and cheap when compared to Recaro's etc.

Click image to enlarge

For eye comfort, change the headlights to either LED headlights if you budget will stretch, or maybe Wipac Crystals. You'll actually be able to see more than 5 yards in front!
Post #432766 22nd Jun 2015 10:56am
bluebottle

United Kingdom 
Yeah, that was the other thing - for night driving - new lights... I've put Wipac Crystals with Osram Nightbreakers on mine... Typically did it at the height of British daylight so I'll have to either get up in the middle of the night or wait a few months to find out how much of an improvement they've made!

One other thing - just prompted by the cabin photo above - maybe get the handbrake moved as well? I've heard of mods using an old Range Rover unit mounted on the transmission tunnel... Probably easiest to do this when changing to Disco cogs as all that stuff has to come out anyway I imagine.

Don't forget to keep us posted on any mods - we all like piccies of new shiny things! Have you got a thread in My Defender?
Post #432770 22nd Jun 2015 11:22am
dougelec

Thanks so much for all of the suggestions.

Think the lights and steering wheel have already been replaced, so they're no longer an issue. Bought the Silent Coat primarily for the roof but I'm a little apprehensive about removing the lining - suppose I'll just have to go for it. Does the entire surface of each panel need covering, will leaving a gap make much of a difference, and have covered from the wheel aches to the windows and doors? Can anyone tell me where to get the foam insulation from?

Changing the seats sounds like a plan, although I should imagine fitting nonstandard units require quite a bit of work, and I'll definitely look into the gearbox/overdrive option. What should I be looking for to fit a 2000 Td5? Thanks again and keep the suggestions coming, please.
Post #432779 22nd Jun 2015 12:02pm
dougelec

Bluebottle, I haven't got section in my defender buy I'll certainly look into it.

I'm writing this from the back of the Landy while the rain lashes down, is there any better noise??
Post #432781 22nd Jun 2015 12:06pm
Clive

Slipped my mind about the handbrake mod, it feels so natural that I don't think about it, easy mod to do Thumbs Up

Mine's a Disco 2 lever mounted through the top of the seatbox with the original cable hooked up and the original mounting hole blanked off.

Click image to enlarge
Post #432785 22nd Jun 2015 12:14pm
dougelec

Did you move the handbrake yourself?
Post #432787 22nd Jun 2015 12:18pm
Clive

Yes I did, it probably took longer to measure up make up the reinforcing plate to go under the seatbox than to actually fit it.
Post #432793 22nd Jun 2015 12:29pm
Supacat

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS DCPU Keswick Green
Re: Pimp my ride, so to speak
dougelec wrote:
My only gripe is how tiring it is to drive on long runs. We regularly drive over to the Lakes, which is approximately a two hour run, and I'm knackered by the end.

I'd respectfully suggest that you keep your money in your pocket for a while longer. As an analogy if you are a 1500m runner and then just swap to running a marathon it will feel different. Changing your running shoes will not stop you being knackered at the end of it.

Yes there will be some environmental changes that will help - but not more than a change of mindset. You need to settle back and enjoy the different experience until it becomes the norm for you - train your body.

If two hours completely knackers you, why not stop after an hour and stretch your legs. Leave 10 minutes earlier and maybe arrive 10 minutes later but feel better for it.

Two solid hours in my Defender is something I'd look forward to rather than treat as an obstacle.

The above may be a fairly masochistic viewpoint but it's why I bought the vehicle in the first place - it's a far more basic driving experience and therefore requires more of an involvement from you; the consequence of this is that until you are used to it, it will tire you out more than you think at the start.

Just be grateful it has a roof, doors, windscreen and a heater - all compromises for a real driving experience Laughing
Post #432816 22nd Jun 2015 1:55pm
couplands

United Kingdom 2001 Defender 90 Td5 HT Oslo Blue
^^^ tend to agree.

I find the standard seat pretty good in my TD5 (and I've got a D4 and Evoque to compare them to), but I'm only 5' 10" so perhaps if your taller it makes it worse. It might be worth checking if the seats are just tired, the foam isn't the best.

A smaller steering wheel helps if you find you are hitting your elbow on the door.

Noise wise I used to run Grizzly Claw tyres and it sounded like a RR Merlin engine at take off..! Now I have BFG KM2 MT and they are as quiet as a mouse. The main noise that is distracting for me are the stones bouncing off the rear wheel arches, but I just carry more gear in the back to hide that noise.

(....or perhaps I'm just getting deaf in my old age..Wink)

cheers

simon
Post #432820 22nd Jun 2015 2:05pm
taazzukcb

United Kingdom 2004 Defender 110 Td5 DCPU Stornoway Grey
Just a note, the overdrive, (namely the RoamerDrive - not sure on the GKN) drops the gearing lower than the 1.2 Disco box. It's not the same as mentioned above. Drops the RPM even further than what the Disco drive gear will do.

If they weren't £1500, I think they'd sell them by the bucket load!
Post #432831 22nd Jun 2015 3:30pm
Tommo

United Kingdom 2006 Defender 90 Td5 Black LE Java Black
Interesting topic...is there any particular modification required to fit new seats or do they just slot in so to speak?
Those Mazda seats look good Thumbs Up
Post #432943 23rd Jun 2015 5:58am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>