↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Td5 > Pimp my ride, so to speak
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
Tompoole

England 2004 Defender 90 Td5 CSW Java Black
Slow down and enjoy the ride..... Only thing I would do is change 5th gear to a higher ratio , I'm not keen on
Changing transfer to a 1.2 on a 110 , it makes it more sluggish for towing and town driving. Have fun be happy
Post #432956 23rd Jun 2015 8:01am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
consumerize

United Kingdom 2004 Defender 90 2.5 TD SW Java Black
Tommo wrote:
Interesting topic...is there any particular modification required to fit new seats or do they just slot in so to speak?
Those Mazda seats look good Thumbs Up

Pretty straight forward. The Mazda seat rails are the exact same width as the defender, so the front bolt holes line up.

There are several brackets steel riveted onto the Mazda seat rails that you have to cut off, leaving a flat rail, but this is pretty obvious what needs removing. An angle grinder is your friend here...

You need to make a rail for them to sit on. Just a bit of box section from B&Q with some holes cut in. This gives you both a place to bolt rear down, but also lift the seat enough so it goes back over the lip in the floor. (plus a few washers at the back.)

Click image to enlarge

I mounted them about 5mm off centre, nearer the cubby box for better door clearance.

The downside - the seat bases are not removable, so battery or ECU access requires the seat to be unbolted. I have fitted an Anderson plug on the front of the seat box incase battery charging etc is required.

Click image to enlarge
Post #432966 23rd Jun 2015 8:57am
JWL

England 2002 Defender 110 Td5 SW Coniston Green
When I put my RX8 seats in my 110 Station Wagon I incorporated a simple hinge point at the rear fixing points so the front bolts unscrew and I can tilt the whole seat onto the second row seats and I can access the underseat electrickery.
Post #433025 23rd Jun 2015 1:16pm
CDN38

Canada 2000 Defender 110 Td5 SW Bonatti Grey
I put a Roamerdrive Overdrive in my 2000 Td5, then took a 19 hour drive to Utah and back . Most useful mod I have done yet, as I do a fair amount of highway driving.

I couldn't imagine driving on the highway without the extra gear. It greatly reduced the engine noise at highway speeds, and made the truck much more drivable at the 120k -130k speeds.

http://roamerdrive.com
Post #433061 23rd Jun 2015 5:08pm
Tommo

United Kingdom 2006 Defender 90 Td5 Black LE Java Black
Were the mazda seats from a scrapped vehicle or can you simply buy them? Also at what cost?
Post #433064 23rd Jun 2015 5:23pm
consumerize

United Kingdom 2004 Defender 90 2.5 TD SW Java Black
The Mazda seats are from a scrapped vehicle. I got the complete letter interior, including back seats (i made a cubby box cover out of one of them), for £200 off eBay.

There are several on there right now for under £200.

Older ones have striped leather on the bolster sides and hard plastic backs. Newer ones (2007 onwards i think) are all smooth leather, front and back of seat. Mine are the later style.

They also come with red centres if you want. not for me however...
Post #433088 23rd Jun 2015 6:51pm
Tommo

United Kingdom 2006 Defender 90 Td5 Black LE Java Black
Thanks consumerize, I will look into this and for £200 or thereabouts its a no brainer!
Andy
Post #433218 24th Jun 2015 5:36am
JWL

England 2002 Defender 110 Td5 SW Coniston Green
My Mazda seats also came via EBay and in one of those rare instances far cheaper and along with consumerize I ended up with the whole interior and I had the added bonus of being able to sell the rest of the interior for what I bought the lot for giving me free seats Whistle
Post #433229 24th Jun 2015 7:39am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12