↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Quick release lockable steering wheel?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 4 1234>
Print this entire topic · 
CarlS

2016 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Aintree Green
Quick release lockable steering wheel?
Does anyone have any experience with one of these?

http://getnrg.com/products/quick-lock/feed

They look pretty good or is there something I'm missing? The spawn of AndrewS

2016 Defender 110 XS Station Wagon (Built on the last day, 59 from the end) - Dead
2016 Mini Countryman Cooper S All 4
2019 BMW R1200 GSA Rallye Sport
Post #427797 1st Jun 2015 4:12pm
munch90

England 
I looked at them , but looked a bit thick so would make steering wheel to far from switches when fitted to boss for colunm

Last edited by munch90 on 1st Jun 2015 4:26pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #427801 1st Jun 2015 4:24pm
SailingTom

United Kingdom 
Got one on mine fantastic bit of kit, Some would say others are a better design which id agree with for the boss. However you can get a lock for these so id say then there leagues ahead Thumbs Up Adapted the boss on mine so sticks out no further noticeably then any other aftermarket wheel

Post #427802 1st Jun 2015 4:25pm
gilarion

Wales 2007 Defender 90 Other CSW Trident Green
No, you are not missing anything although the lock will only work with NRG 6 holes pattern Quick-Release Gen. 2.0 and 2.5 systems.

A perfect complement to NRG release kits, this unit will deter any thief from stealing your vehicle. It is common knowledge that a quick release alone, although a good deterrent in itself, it is imperfect in that another wheel can simply be replaced. But with this unit, the column itself is secured, making replacement of wheel, or driving the vehicle virtually impossible.

The lock as available from eBay for around £60.00 the quick release systems are in the region of £120-160.
The only problem with the quick lock is that when fitted to a Defender it would bring the steering wheel out a fair bit so it would be difficult the operate the indicators lights etc, unless tyou modded the quick release

For those who like Welsh Mountains and narrow boats have a look at my videos and photos at..

http://www.youtube.com/user/conwy1
Post #427803 1st Jun 2015 4:33pm
CarlS

SailingTom how did you got about adjusting the boss mate? The spawn of AndrewS

2016 Defender 110 XS Station Wagon (Built on the last day, 59 from the end) - Dead
Post #427804 1st Jun 2015 4:34pm
SailingTom

United Kingdom 
Had it Milled down and out so the central securing bolt will go through the NRG boss, then had a slimline boss adapted for it to bolt to.
A fair bit of work probably, but as said in other posts stops it sticking right out and brings it back to normal wheel distance.
feel free to pm me and ill go through it, but fairly simple really. Thumbs Up
Post #427942 2nd Jun 2015 6:52am
CarlS

Thumbs Up The spawn of AndrewS

Post #427960 2nd Jun 2015 8:44am
Fogster

United Kingdom 
SailingTom wrote:
Had it Milled down and out so the central securing bolt will go through the NRG boss, then had a slimline boss adapted for it to bolt to.
A fair bit of work probably, but as said in other posts stops it sticking right out and brings it back to normal wheel distance.
feel free to pm me and ill go through it, but fairly simple really. Thumbs Up

I'd like to know your modification for this please but I can't pm you as I don't have enough posts! Are you able to pm me the details please? Thanks in advance.
Post #450438 29th Aug 2015 10:26pm
Dora

England 
CarlS and Fogster I did the same as sailing tom after I had seen his job. I didn't buy the NRG boss just the quick release, Gen 2.8, and just bought a cheap boss which I machined down. It's a very basic operation if you have acess to the tools and skills but if not I would guess a cheap job for your local machine shop.

Total build cost excluding my time: £36 for the boss, £64 for the quick release and £60 for the lock itself. I call that a cheap security measure Thumbs Up

Here are the basic steps in photos.

This is the boss I bought from ebay for a 48 spline fitting.

Click image to enlarge

This is the size of it, massive!

Click image to enlarge

This is the NRG wheel side adapter

Click image to enlarge

Together they are way too thick

Click image to enlarge

The boss machined down before re-painting

Click image to enlarge

Simply bolt the boss on to the splines and then bolt on the quick release part

Click image to enlarge

snap on the wheel and hey presto! 16mm more than original which I can live with!

Click image to enlarge

Still easily reach the controls

Click image to enlarge

All fitted looks nice and neat and easy to get to

Click image to enlarge

Finnaly the lock, drops over the lower part of the quick release, the bolts can't be got at so quite secure and the key is, well lets just say like nothing I have ever seen before Thumbs Up

Click image to enlarge
Post #450581 30th Aug 2015 2:40pm
nitram17

SailingTom wrote:
Got one on mine fantastic bit of kit, Some would say others are a better design which id agree with for the boss. However you can get a lock for these so id say then there leagues ahead Thumbs Up Adapted the boss on mine so sticks out no further noticeably then any other aftermarket wheel

There is a huge surface area on that lock................I can think of a couple of methods ( of attaching something to it to create a wheel but i wont say on here (whether it would provide enough leverage to break the steering lock is another matter)and i am no engineer.Has the lock got some sort of anti pick lock on it ..if not! I would not trust it........................... but then again im paranoid! If I cannot take my lock with me i lock it under the passenger seat next to the battery!
Post #450585 30th Aug 2015 3:09pm
Dora

England 
nitram17, Like all deterents they are just that, deterents. Yes, I could make something to cobble on as a makeshift wheel but it all takes time, and then as you say break the steering lock, and, unless the scumbag has done a recky and knows exactly what you have then bought one of his own to try out his methods and carry the bits around with him up his shirt, he will probably knick the one down the road with out anything.

The lock is 'Different" is all I'll say, and again will take time to overcome.

What would you rather, a standard set up that can be broken in the time honoured way in seconds or something he may not have come across which is going to take him minutes or more to work out? I know which I would choose Thumbs Up
Post #450589 30th Aug 2015 3:30pm
nitram17

Your right dora about the theif with a shirt that is and layers..the oppertunist!.............however the car stolen from the drive or garage .will have been more than likelly scouted beforehand ..........they will be kitted out and i doubt that lock would last more than a few seconds ,so I simply would prefer not to keep the wheel in the truck thats all
Yes layers are the best method but to rely on anything with a key and a lock(unless its very expensive and anti pick)is not logical..............most large pedal locks are good but their weakist link is the quality of the locking mechanism!and i wont say anything more on that subject!
Post #450607 30th Aug 2015 4:12pm
Dora

England 
Well obviously if you are parked at home then take the wheel in with you. But what happens when out at a show or even just shopping! I'm Censored if I'm carrying that around with me all day Rolling with laughter
My truck has three separate locking compartments in the back and I lock it in one of them if I'm out and about. I do however envy anyone with a drive and garage, I have no drive and my garage is too full of junk and motorbikes to fit a 110 as well Rolling with laughter Mine lives on the street wherever I can find a spot, hopefully within range of the CCTV. At the end of the day all you can do is make it more difficult to be taken and this is one of the ways I personally choose to do it. Each to his own, but for gods sake, don't be too paranoid, life's too short Thumbs Up
Post #450612 30th Aug 2015 4:34pm
Fogster

United Kingdom 
Thanks for the detailed reply Dora. Very much appreciated.
Post #450644 30th Aug 2015 7:05pm
Dora

England 
No worries, all these "layer" posts are very personal. Some people love the idea some think it's a waste of time. My opinion is look at every idea out there and choose the ones which suit your needs. Thumbs Up
Post #450651 30th Aug 2015 7:14pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 4 1234>