↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Expedition & Overland > 7 day tour of Outer Hebrides with Oztent
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
jeeves

United Kingdom 
7 day tour of Outer Hebrides with Oztent
Just got back from whistle stop tour of Highlands and Islands during half term break...Drive up from Lancashire, stop overnight bed and breakfast in Killin before taking 6 hour crossing from Oban to Isle of Barra...Camp with Oztent on Barra, North Uist, Lewis,Skye before blasting back home.
All of the campsites were pre-booked after checking reviews on ukcampsite and trip adviser.
We are a family of four and all planned to stay in the Oztent in sleeping bags and Thermarest pads.
Barbecue and fridge arranged around our Mantec racking in the rear and Oztent chairs and tent on the roof.
Forecast of strong winds and near freezing temperatures with wind chill was accurate.
Here are a few Defender related pics I've downloaded so far.

Click image to enlarge

First night in comfort at the Killin Hotel...booked this as a last minute change of plan at £46 for a family room including breakfast....even at twice that price, excellent value.

Click image to enlarge

Drive to Oban, fill up and quick shop before 6 hour crossing to Isle of Barra. Excellent facilities onboard, had curry chips and glass of wine on board to ward off sea sickness !
There is a co-op just as you come off the ferry before the 10 minute drive to campsite.

Click image to enlarge

Borve campsite Barra...probably the best campsite in the world !
First sighting of White tailed eagle from our pitch. Lovely shower block, microwave,toaster.
Made mistake of keeping vents closed on Oztent meaning we woke up with inside and sleeping bags damp...Easily sorted in the strong winds though.

Click image to enlarge
Beaches at Barra airport.
We then caught the late morning ferry to Eriskay. Excellent birdwatching again on board.

Click image to enlarge

Eriskay has a causeway onto South Uist which took us in worsening weather on the 70 mile drive to our campsite at RSPB Balranald. An outstanding campsite once again. Even the strong winds and driving rain didn't detract from the Beauty of this site, situated right next to a gorgeous beach.

Click image to enlarge
We arrived in gale force winds and rain , but Oztent was up within 30 mins.
This site was in the middle of an RSPB reserve and we saw a Corncrake within yards of our pitch and a pair of golden eagles on the hillside.

Click image to enlarge
Excellent birdwatching from our pitch.
We had an outstanding meal at the nearby Langass Hotel to celebrate our sons 8th birthday....We will definitely return to this campsite. Google balranaldhebrideanholidays.com.
Quick pack up again for the short drive to Berneray ferry terminal for the crossing to Harris.

Click image to enlarge
Waiting for Berneray to Harris ferry.

Click image to enlarge
Arriving on Harris
There is a small co-op as you leave the Harris ferry and it is wise to stock up here as we didn't see many more stores for many miles.
Harris is gorgeous with stunning beaches.

Click image to enlarge

Probably a mistake of ours not to stop on Harris as we drove straight through to Lewis.
Again, I had booked on the basis of reviews Eilean Fraoich campsite on Lewis. We wish we hadn't, frankly it was a sh** hole !!! It was like staying on a derelict farm. Pitches were soaking wet and the only decent pitch was right next to the toilet blocks. It advertised a camp kitchen which resembled a Salvation Army hostel....as did some of the residents...avoid and stay on Harris is our advice !! All this for £23 per night and an extra £1 to use the shower......

Click image to enlarge
Nice views away from the campsite if you don't mind listening to other campers on the toilet !!

The highlight of Lewis is the Callanish standing stones which has an excellent cafe open until 6 pm which is useful as this is a very remote island.

Click image to enlarge

We were glad to leave the campsite behind to travel to Tarbert for the Uig Skye ferry. We went via Stornoway to get some fuel £1:22 per litre of diesel. We had a brief walk around Stornoway but this again reflected our view of Lewis....not very nice...
The weather was now cold and wet and all the kit on the roof similarly so. We have travelled to Skye before and despite the weather we were very much looking forward to arriving on the Island again.
Our arrival on Skye was in terrible weather and the ferry had been delayed. We had booked to stay at Dunvegan which was only 45 mins drive.
We bought supplies at Portree which has a large co-op before phoning ahead to say we had been delayed.
As we approached the campsite, the clouds began to part to show something we hadn't seen for 48 hours....sunshine !!!
We then arrived at an absolute gem of a site...Kinloch campsite, Dunvegan ran by a lovely lady, Peggy.
We will definitely book here again for an extended stay.

Click image to enlarge
View from our pitch

Click image to enlarge
oztent...shaken but not stirred in Hebridean gales !!
After a fairly good nights sleep we travelled to the nearby Neist lighthouse only to be attacked by two Great Skuas who didn't appreciate our visit!

Click image to enlarge
view from Neist lighthouse

We managed an excellent meal at The Old Schoolhouse restaurant a short walk from the site but be sure to book as it is rightly very popular. This just about rounded off our last night of our adventure.
Next morning was a pack up for final time before the 400 mile drive back to Lancashire via the Mallaig ferry.

Click image to enlarge
pride of place on the Mallaig ferry

Click image to enlarge
Completely worn out and ready for her own bed !!!

Last edited by jeeves on 4th Jun 2015 1:43pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #427205 30th May 2015 10:35am
VeeTee

Netherlands 
Nice write up Thumbs Up

I see you did not use a fly-sheet with the Oz tent. I always do, and by using poles to lift the rear end of the fly-sheet you create an air gap between the fly-sheet and the tent - in addition to a little ventilation this helps great in avoiding condensation! With this set-up, even in near-zero temperatures at night or pouring rain, we never have condensation.

Click image to enlarge
 Cheers, Vincent
1959 Polynorm 1/4 Ton Trailer, Olive Drab Green (sold)
1970 M416 Military Trailer (Camping Trailer Conversion), Epsom Green (sold)
1975 Series III 88 V6, Light Green (sadly sold)
1996 Defender 110 CSW 300 Tdi, Epsom Green (sold)
2000 Freelander 1 TD4 3-drs, Silver (sold)
2006 Freelander 1 TD4 5-drs Facelift Automatic, Tonga Green (sold)

MySite
Post #427222 30th May 2015 12:19pm
RoadForce

Netherlands 2000 Defender 130 Td5 HCPU Coniston Green
Great write-up, lovely pics. Sounds like a good trip, thanks for sharing! Defender 130 HCPU Td5 MY2000
Post #427226 30th May 2015 12:41pm
steve E

Wales 
Many thanks for posting Jeeves

Really enjoyed the right up and pictures.

A trip I'll be doing next year Thumbs Up
Post #427228 30th May 2015 12:45pm
jeeves

United Kingdom 
VeeTee wrote:
Nice write up Thumbs Up

I see you did not use a fly-sheet with the Oz tent. I always do, and by using poles to lift the rear end of the fly-sheet you create an air gap between the fly-sheet and the tent - in addition to a little ventilation this helps great in avoiding condensation! With this set-up, even in near-zero temperatures at night or pouring rain, we never have condensation.

Click image to enlarge

Thanks for the tip....we travel to France in the summer and I will take your advice....unfortunately in the Hebrides this wouldn't have worked....the gale force winds would mean I would have taken off with a fly sheet !!!
Post #427232 30th May 2015 12:57pm
Pickles

Australia 2013 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 CSW Keswick Green
Jeeves, A TOP & very positive review,...a bit different scenery from what We usually see "Down Under".
Went to Skye when in the UK several years ago, a beautiful place.
Thanks, Pickles.
Post #427341 30th May 2015 10:59pm
VeeTee

Netherlands 
jeeves wrote:
VeeTee wrote:
Nice write up Thumbs Up

Click image to enlarge

Thanks for the tip....we travel to France in the summer and I will take your advice....unfortunately in the Hebrides this wouldn't have worked....the gale force winds would mean I would have taken off with a fly sheet !!!

I did work during a three week tour in Ireland at the West coast. I adjusted the fly-sheet so the outer ends were fairly close to the main tent (if you get what I mean). We've had some very strong winds there, and I was amazed the tent withstood so well. Cheers, Vincent
1959 Polynorm 1/4 Ton Trailer, Olive Drab Green (sold)
1970 M416 Military Trailer (Camping Trailer Conversion), Epsom Green (sold)
1975 Series III 88 V6, Light Green (sadly sold)
1996 Defender 110 CSW 300 Tdi, Epsom Green (sold)
2000 Freelander 1 TD4 3-drs, Silver (sold)
2006 Freelander 1 TD4 5-drs Facelift Automatic, Tonga Green (sold)

MySite
Post #427368 31st May 2015 7:28am
X4SKP

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 SW Stornoway Grey
Hello jeeves

Great write up...honest and inspiring thanks for posting.

I have been sketching out a Scottish West Coast & Islands trip for a few weeks now
so first hand insight is always good to hear...

I just want the weather my wife and I experienced when we cycled the length of the Caledonian Canal
Inverness to Fort William and back again, 1hrs rain, one morning in a 2 week trip...tent dry by the time we had finished breakfast...happy days.

Thanks. SKIP
https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic83242.html
Post #427403 31st May 2015 9:36am
bluebottle

United Kingdom 
Re: 7 day tour of Outer Hebrides with Oztent
jeeves wrote:
We went via Stornoway to get some fuel £1:22 per gallon of diesel. We had a brief walk around Stornoway but this again reflected our view of Lewis....not very nice...

£1.22 per gallon? Wow...

I can second your view of Stornoway as well - I went there in the 90s as a child with my family and was distinctly unimpressed... Uist is gorgeous though and the people on Skye were exceptionally friendly even to Sassenachs like us!

I'm hoping to go and do a similar tour with my wife who's never really been to Scotland. May have to B&B it as I think I can probably only persuade her into either the Landy or a tent for a week, not both!

Great pics though - thanks for sharing Thumbs Up
Post #428527 4th Jun 2015 9:51am
jeeves

United Kingdom 
Thanks for noting the deliberate mistake !!,should be £1:22 per litre !
Post #428574 4th Jun 2015 1:45pm
Martin 01

Great write up about your tour.
Wouldn't mind doing something similar.
Pictures are great.
It's always good to hear about the good & bad camp sites people encounter along the way.
Nice post Thumbs Up
Post #429901 10th Jun 2015 8:57am
Walmsleys

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Havana
We did almost the same trip last year in our Campervan. The scenery is breath taking:

http://www.c13mpr.com/2014/09/island-hoppi...ugust.html 2015 Urban Truck 90XS in Havana

(previously 2013 D4 XS in Fuji White)
(previously 2011 D4 XS in Stornaway Grey, auto, black leather, reversing camera and removable tow bar)
(previously 2011 Freelander 2, blue (Mrs B's)
(previously 2007 TDV6 D3 SE Zermatt Silver, auto, black leather, an Uncle Ray plate and AT2s)
(previously 2001 Freelander One, blue)
(previously 1967 Series 2, Green)
Post #429929 10th Jun 2015 10:07am
jst

2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Stornoway Grey
great write up and thanks for the tip ref condensation and the flysheet, thats the one issue my oz tent lets me down a bit i feel, even with loads of ventilation there is always a fair bit of condensation in the morning. Cheers

James
110 XS Utility
130 Puma Station wagon/camper (in the making)
90 Puma Hardtop
Post #429945 10th Jun 2015 11:02am
RLD

United Kingdom 
yes very good good photos Thumbs Up RLD fabricator of Hidden Winch Mount for D3/4 roof racks jerry can holders CB aerial mounts and much more and agent for Helsport Tents and gear
Post #429951 10th Jun 2015 11:56am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Froogle-Yorkshireman

2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Stornoway Grey
A great write up Jeeves Thumbs Up what a fab adventure for the kids Proud owner 110 Utility XS
Ex RR Sport HST V8
Ex Td5 90
Post #430122 10th Jun 2015 10:31pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>