↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > if it was a transit...
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
pom

if it was a transit...
ok my honest thoughts after 24 hours of ownership.

1. I love landrovers. No other reason to buy one.

2. LR are deliberately lazy don't really give a f0ck about build quality quality. For example they are using allegro indicator stalks which cost less than the teabags the staff get free. Why ?

3. A real car manufacturer (VAG/jap) can point laugh and then put on their ear defenders (no pun intended)to the puma engine. It has the power but sounds terrible bordering on the embarrising. Did ford contractually force landrover to make it sound like a bag of spanners in a tumble dryer ? The transit doesn't sound this bad even when running on one cylinder.

4. RUST! Why am i seeing rust on a two year old motor ? Ok its only on the steps, bumper front and back but they were fitted at the factory. I am assuming we don't get the 10 year anti corrosion warranty ? Again pure brummie laziness, disappointing.

After all this mickey mouse Censored that the factory could sort by not being clueless and hiring an ex VW apprentice for a monday morning to correct the build quality, i still like it. Even if it is less refined than a skoda.

Pom
Post #36921 24th Jul 2010 7:52pm
diesel_jim

United Kingdom 2006 Defender 110 Td5 SW Epsom Green
What's wrong with the allegro indicator stalks? they work, they've worked for donkeys years... covered in mud & poo. ideal!
Post #36922 24th Jul 2010 8:28pm
110SEB

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Java Black
In fact the Allegro stalks are one of my favourite bits - none is this tosh that looks like an Aiwa hi-fi on the end of a black pipe!
Post #36923 24th Jul 2010 9:15pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
yeah you should try the new Focus stalks try and indicate and turn the radio on instead crappy complicated chunky things they are. no thanks
Post #36924 24th Jul 2010 9:23pm
fekete

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Bonatti Grey
Re: if it was a transit...
pom wrote:

4. RUST! Why am i seeing rust on a two year old motor ? Ok its only on the steps, bumper front and back but they were fitted at the factory. I am assuming we don't get the 10 year anti corrosion warranty ? Again pure brummie laziness, disappointing.

Pom

Pom, if you have only got Rust on your steps and bumper i'd be very happy...I need a new bulkhead on mine ?? NEVER TAKE LIFE SERIOUSLY. NOBODY GETS OUT ALIVE ANYWAY
Post #36925 24th Jul 2010 9:28pm
Caterham

England 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
fekete

I presume you are joking about the bulkhead ! ?

what is the warranty in respect of corrosion?
Post #37004 25th Jul 2010 7:12pm
fekete

No not at all it going in to be replaced...I wish i was joking...6 years on corrosion

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green  NEVER TAKE LIFE SERIOUSLY. NOBODY GETS OUT ALIVE ANYWAY
Post #37009 25th Jul 2010 7:46pm
Grockle

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Tonga Green
Karl is that rust in the footwell lower dash? 2.4 90 XS
1968 1/32 scale Britains 109 Pick up.
Post #37034 26th Jul 2010 10:22am
mse

United Kingdom 2016 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Scotia Grey
fekete wrote:
No not at all it going in to be replaced...I wish i was joking...6 years on corrosion

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

After having a look at mine - when the resolved the water leak i had some rust like that - it now seems all fixed - its not a new bulkhead - its a selection of brackets attached to the bulkhead, all mine were replaced, well they are shiny steel again so if they didnt replace them the buffed them up for ages.

I may go out and double check when im fitting something to it later.

Thats not to say its the same for you - but it looks the same area.

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green  Mike
Post #37047 26th Jul 2010 1:22pm
fekete

Mike they are replacing the bulkhead because of the rust i've had the brackets done months ago
AS you say one is a bracket the other pic is the bulkhead rotten....Grockle this is under the dash but here is a pic of the footwell

Click image to enlarge

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green  NEVER TAKE LIFE SERIOUSLY. NOBODY GETS OUT ALIVE ANYWAY
Post #37083 26th Jul 2010 8:05pm
mse

it is shocking how now none visible surfaces get primer only not the top coat they used to...thats ford for you Mike
Post #37088 26th Jul 2010 9:10pm
dgardel

Italy 
pom wrote:

3. A real car manufacturer (VAG/jap) can point laugh and then put on their ear defenders (no pun intended)to the puma engine. It has the power but sounds terrible bordering on the embarrising. Did ford contractually force landrover to make it sound like a bag of spanners in a tumble dryer ? The transit doesn't sound this bad even when running on one cylinder.

1. Transit have piezo injectors, Defender only with "coil" because they can eat lower quality fuel.

2. Transit have "under engine" and upper noise covers, Defender not (for "mud" reasons) and the engine have a lot of room around, try to park on grass and listen the engine noise from outside......... Discovery 5 td6 HSE Stornoway Gray Outback Engineering Limited Edition

IID Pro MV License
Post #37169 27th Jul 2010 10:45pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
mse

we have just bought a 10MY 2.2TDCi transit...be good to compare - they look very different Whistle Mike
Post #37177 27th Jul 2010 11:16pm
MK

Chile 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Chawton White
dgardel wrote:
pom wrote:

1. Transit have piezo injectors, Defender only with "coil" because they can eat lower quality fuel.

2. Transit have "under engine" and upper noise covers, Defender not (for "mud" reasons) and the engine have a lot of room around, try to park on grass and listen the engine noise from outside.........

and can`t handle more torque due to its rather fragile Censored clutch assy Puma 110" SW

Earth first. Other planets later
Post #37197 28th Jul 2010 12:39am
dgardel

Italy 
mse wrote:
we have just bought a 10MY 2.2TDCi transit...be good to compare - they look very different Whistle

Waiting a deeper compare analisy with photo reportage.... Twisted Evil Discovery 5 td6 HSE Stornoway Gray Outback Engineering Limited Edition

IID Pro MV License
Post #37206 28th Jul 2010 9:18am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>