Home > Puma (Tdci) > Cornwall to Venice return
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
wyvern

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Firenze Red
Cornwall to Venice return
Hi All,
Just had a fab 2-week trip to Venice driving the 110 and free camping all the way (apart from Venice where we stayed just outside the city at a campsite for security)

We left Dover and landed in Calais, (which was a steal at £60 return!) Headed north to avoid the French tolls and then across to Belgium and into Luxembourg (where fuel was 0.80 Euro …! ) then over to Switzerland, (there is an annual 40Sw/franc tax for the use of their roads and tunnels) and then down into Italy picking up the cheaper toll roads to Venice.
On the way back we took a slower route though Switzerland playing over several mountain passes and back roads, lots of snow on the ground, but still very warm.
Camping was awesome, waking up to mountain views at 2000mtrs + was a real treat! Cool

The whole trip was about 2900 miles and the 110 performed faultlessly. We did a little bit of ‘Soft off roading’ on some washed out tracks to find suitable camping areas, and met some wonderful people – namely Dgardel in Venice (wow- His 90 is the bee’s knees!v Thumbs Up )
Pros for the 110 – Air-con – first time I’ve had aircon in anger (it was 30’+) and its fab!,
MPG – with the speed on the roads being mainly 50mph the wagon gave a good 30mpg with us getting over 400miles from each tank.
6th gear meant the wagon was quiet and just toddling along at below 2000 rpm most of the time
Cons – having to come back to go to work! Big Cry

So having never taken the wagon overseas before I found getting to Europe was so easy, It’s just on the doorstep and so varied. (mind you the fab weather probably helped as well !)
Pre planning included talking out an AA European rescue service, chatting to our insurance company, and fitting the beam adjusters to the lights.

Next trip planned for Denmark and all points north! Poppy - TDCI (Puma) 110XS 2.2 - Camper conversion - see the build here - https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic56530.html
Elgar -TDCI(Puma) 110XS Dormobile - now sold
Devon & Cornwall 4x4 Response - DC126
Post #36369 15th Jul 2010 1:17pm
Caterham

England 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
fantastic. glad hear all went well.
where abouts did you stop off in the mountains?
Post #36370 15th Jul 2010 1:27pm
KarlB

Australia 2010 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Rimini Red
Sounds like a great trip Wyvern. But it didn't happen without pictures ...

Cheers
KarlB
Post #36372 15th Jul 2010 1:30pm
wyvern

Ok Guys ...
photos to follow tonight in my profile pics ....! (and some info on the stops here later !) Thumbs Up Poppy - TDCI (Puma) 110XS 2.2 - Camper conversion - see the build here - https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic56530.html
Post #36375 15th Jul 2010 2:27pm
dgardel

Italy 
Re: Cornwall to Venice return
wyvern wrote:

.................. and met some wonderful people – namely Dgardel in Venice (wow- His 90 is the bee’s knees!v Thumbs Up )

Embarassed Embarassed

Thanks Gary,

me too happy to know beautiful people like you and Jules.....

I'm not glad to have had not time for showing you same beautiful places around venice....

but the next time........ Discovery 5 td6 HSE Stornoway Gray Outback Engineering Limited Edition

IID Pro MV License
Post #36376 15th Jul 2010 3:01pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
wyvern

Hi All,
I've posted a few photos in my gallery for those who wish to see ... I've got loads more but not the time to bore you with them all! Embarassed
My partner is the real photographer - these are only my snaps! Mr. Green

We drove the St Gossard pass both ways on the old cobbled road which was truly stunning, there were lots of litle places that we could pull off the road and take in the views - and of course pop in the back to sleep.... however this is apparently frowned upon in Switzerland. Whistle

We also drove the St Bernard pass, which was also stunning with a high lake and spectaular views, again finding a suitable place to pull off the road for the night
another pass was the Furkapass that was 2436 mthrs with a glacier halfway down where we were able to wander into by following a tunnle cut right in the ice ... the olde photos there show just how much the ice has receded over the years... visibel global warming ! Shocked

The Dormobile set up proved to be a great way to tour these areas, as the landrover handled the roads really well and we just had to park up, open the back to cook dinner, then put the seats flat and get into bed! Thumbs Up

Enjoy! Poppy - TDCI (Puma) 110XS 2.2 - Camper conversion - see the build here - https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic56530.html
Post #36397 15th Jul 2010 9:20pm
bm52

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Havana
that sounds like a fantastic trip, i love venice, dead jealous of the drive you made.
i will be in umbria in 2 weeks, can't wait. next year we will drive to south france, maybe in my 90 puma xs if i can get one

can you tell what speed you found comfortable cruising on the motorways? especially at 2000 rpm

thanks BM52
Post #36401 15th Jul 2010 11:57pm
KarlB

Australia 2010 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Rimini Red
Thanks for the photos Wyvern. The Doormobile 'conversion' looks very interesting.

Cheers
KarlB
Post #36402 16th Jul 2010 12:24am
K9F

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
Wyvern,

Just had a delve in your gallery, obviously a great deal of thought, effort and outlay went into your dormobile conversion. It looks both comfortable and practical. I am quite green with envy.

Mr. Green

Cool truck!!!! Dog Thumbs Up If you go through life with your head in the sand....all people will see is an ar5e!!

Treat every day as if it is your last....one day you will be right!!
Post #36403 16th Jul 2010 12:39am
wyvern

bm52 wrote:

can you tell what speed you found comfortable cruising on the motorways? especially at 2000 rpm

thanks

I do a lot of motorway miles in the UK and found that the waggon sits very comfortably at about 55 - 60mph at around 2000rpm, which suits me as I'm no longer a speed freak, and enjoy not having to stop at the fuel pumps quite so often. Cool

Having said that, it also sits very comfortably at 70mph for long durations when the need arises.... which can be a shock if you're not paying attention to the dials and just going with the flow of traffic... Whistle Poppy - TDCI (Puma) 110XS 2.2 - Camper conversion - see the build here - https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic56530.html
Post #36413 16th Jul 2010 9:21am
wyvern

K9F wrote:

Mr. Green

Cool truck!!!! Dog Thumbs Up

Thanks K9F, Embarassed
The thought process behind the lay out was all done by Dormobile, we've just tweaked it to suit ourselves. We like the set up but have seen many other waggons that make us pea green !
Thats what makes landrovers so individual - eveyone has a diffrent need and makes the waggon fit the task. Very Happy

The cost of the doormobile set up was initanly high, but has now paid for it's self... the seats and fittings came to about £4000, which when devided by a typical night in a hotel at £50 per night came to 80 nights camping.
As we've done more than 100 nights over the last 2 yrs we're now into free camping Cool so it's been worth while !
As with all things I'd like to add more toys to waggon, but we are very happy with the basic set up we have at the moment and find that this type of arangement suits our stlye of camping. Thumbs Up
Happy camping! Poppy - TDCI (Puma) 110XS 2.2 - Camper conversion - see the build here - https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic56530.html
Post #36537 18th Jul 2010 9:54pm
110SEB

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Java Black
Brilliant pics, Wyvern. I'm hunting for a roof rack and am really pleased i've seen your Brownchurch. I have always considered them the proper Defender roofrack but have been looking around at all sorts. A G4 replica has been what i've had my eyes on recently, but wasn't sure about the aesthetics of the Brownchurch despite the fact that i like them so much. A Brownchurch is now top of my list. How do you get on with it?
Thumbs Up
Post #36582 19th Jul 2010 7:08pm
wyvern

Hi Seb,
Must confess that I've had the rack for over 15 yrs and this is the 3rd defender it's been on !
It's never let me down and we reguarly carry everything from racing Canoes & Bikes, Highlift Jack to sofas and garden waste on it. the awnings also spend a fair bit of time up there as well.

I like the fact it had a side all round for securing things to.
As for the price - it's probably the best value on the market !
Cons - the gutter triangular supports do go rusty so need changing every couple of years, but the rack is still 100% rust free.
Go for it!
Thumbs Up Poppy - TDCI (Puma) 110XS 2.2 - Camper conversion - see the build here - https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic56530.html
Post #36613 20th Jul 2010 6:37am
110SEB

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Java Black
Brownchurch black poly coated galvanized LR10 roofrack (just like yours in shape, Wyvern) with matching ladder ordered today! Will be picking it up some time next week. I cannot wait.

Pictures to follow. Brownchurch's yard is an interesting place - they have some nicely kitted our Defenders kicking around.

Chuffed to bits. Thumbs Up
Post #36722 21st Jul 2010 10:07pm
wyvern

Hi Seb,
Good for you!!
Thumbs Up
I'm sure that you'll enjoy the rack - it's a great tool!
looking forward to the pictures. Poppy - TDCI (Puma) 110XS 2.2 - Camper conversion - see the build here - https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic56530.html
Post #36726 22nd Jul 2010 6:29am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>