↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > Cornwall to Venice return
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
Steve B

United Kingdom 2000 Defender 90 Td5 SW Caledonian Blue
Hello Wyvern,

just found this thread and looks like you had a great trip, I am off to Lake Garda on the 19th August doing a similar trip to you.

I had planned on going France/Germany/Switzerland and over the Stelvio pass however you trip on the Old Cobbled road on the St Gossard pass sounds interesting, I tried google but cannot find it. I was wondering if you could point me in the right direction.

Also Luxembourg sounds good at .80 euros , with my 3 fuel tanks thats very tempting Very Happy

Regards,

Steve
Post #37647 4th Aug 2010 11:29pm
johnnyturbo2002

Spain 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 CSW Java Black
wyvern wrote:
bm52 wrote:

can you tell what speed you found comfortable cruising on the motorways? especially at 2000 rpm

thanks

I do a lot of motorway miles in the UK and found that the waggon sits very comfortably at about 55 - 60mph at around 2000rpm, which suits me as I'm no longer a speed freak, and enjoy not having to stop at the fuel pumps quite so often. Cool

Having said that, it also sits very comfortably at 70mph for long durations when the need arises.... which can be a shock if you're not paying attention to the dials and just going with the flow of traffic... Whistle

I just got back after five weeks through spain, and yes, motorways in France are crazy expensive..anyway, my speed was confortable pretty much anywhere, on motorways cruising at 60-75 was no problem. and yes, one does stop at the pump a bit more often, but the mileage is good no matter what for pushing a brick through the air. 2008 Defender 110 60 year Edition (sold unfortunately)
IN the hunt for another Puma for the wifey!
2008 Kia Sorento LX 😁 2.5crdi
Post #37808 9th Aug 2010 7:15pm
wyvern

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Firenze Red
Steve B wrote:

I had planned on going France/Germany/Switzerland and over the Stelvio pass however you trip on the Old Cobbled road on the St Gossard pass sounds interesting, I tried google but cannot find it. I was wondering if you could point me in the right direction.

Hi Steve ... sorry for the delay in replying but have been off on a course..
My Spelling is problem - the actual place we drove was the St Gotthard pass... sorry for the confusion!! Whistle

Driving from the Swiss side towards Italy you climb up the pass and the last 3 kms are cobbled - look out on the Right there is a little road that pulls off the main road -which winds all the way to the top, then at the top you hit the tourist land area, after that to get back on the old road keep to the small road again and follow the old road down all the way down the other side .... it's not to difficult to find if you're not going fast... look out for cyclists who ride tis road to miss the traiffic (..... but have to ride on the cobbles!! Shocked )
Your trip sounds fab as well let us know how you get on! Thumbs Up
Safe journies!
Wyvern Poppy - TDCI (Puma) 110XS 2.2 - Camper conversion - see the build here - https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic56530.html
Elgar -TDCI(Puma) 110XS Dormobile - now sold
Devon & Cornwall 4x4 Response - DC126
Post #38381 17th Aug 2010 7:42pm
HONEYMONSTER

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Bonatti Grey
Wyvern, gallery pics look great. Brings back fond memories from a few years back. A couple of mates and myself took the challenge to join a banger rally to Rome. We ended up going for an 88 Volvo 240 but unfortunately it didnt see us out of Cambridge before it went well "BANG!!" so with no time to lose we swopped over the graphics and took my 1990 Defender. It slightly broke the 500 pound budget but hell it was that of forfeit the rally so off we set. We drove down via Monaco were we managed to mingle in quite nicely with the Boat show punters getting a few free tipples and the on to Rome via Venice. Unfortunately for us along the way as to add fun to the Rally we were set a few challenges. Now imagine out shock when on the day we were to visit Venice we discovered todays challenge was to have your photo taken in St Marks Square with you spare type.. Shocked I know saw why everyone else had gone for something a little smaller. Gondoliers certainly werent made with transporting BFG Mud terrains in mind.. But hell it was a challenge and we werent to be out done. Needless to say after much grunting and apologies we made it (I'll upload a photo soon). The next day we drove on to Rome where we discovered we were probably the only vehicle that actually made it there in one piece.

Well After a nice day spent sightseeing we headed home via St Bernards Pass and Annecy and not a raised temperature all the way. The old girl did me proud.. It was a sad day when I sold my old green 90 Big Cry but I was just heading out to Afghanistan for work and Id found some lovely green pastures for her. Shes the gun wagon for a local shot now and looking very well for it.

May have to head for the Alps again when I get back in October, take the new beast through the footsteps of the old.

I'll upload some pics to my gallery shortly.
Post #38423 18th Aug 2010 6:03am
wyvern

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Firenze Red
Hi Honey monster ...
sounds like you had fun!! I can imagine the issues with trying to get to St Marks with a wheel - it was hard enough getting there with a camera! Mr. Green
Good to see that the Green waggon made it to the end of the rally and back... and is enjoying a happy retiirement.
where to next...? Poppy - TDCI (Puma) 110XS 2.2 - Camper conversion - see the build here - https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic56530.html
Elgar -TDCI(Puma) 110XS Dormobile - now sold
Devon & Cornwall 4x4 Response - DC126
Post #38425 18th Aug 2010 6:30am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12