↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > My Defender > My Wifes 90 - Project Monty
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 5 of 8 <12345678>
Print this entire topic · 
chrispy

Wales 1987 Defender 90 300 Tdi CSW Keswick Green
Thank you Andy, I just wish I had the rest of the cash to finish it quicker than we will. As it stands currently it won't be completed until early next year (maybe around Easter) and i'd really like to get it done asap Sad It's encouraging though when people post to say it's coming along nice, it gives you encouragement to keep going Thumbs Up
Post #422893 12th May 2015 2:23pm
gilarion

Wales 2007 Defender 90 Other CSW Trident Green
Have you considered doing the respray your self, a good compressor and gun will cost about £150.00 these days and spraying is not as difficult as you may think. With modern water based paints any problems you get are easily put right and the top lacquer providing you have a good mask and a well ventilated area or even outside on a wind free day are easy to apply..

Masking off is not that difficult if you take your time just give the whole vehicle a good rub with panel wipe and tack rags before you start.

I have sprayed several Land Rovers in my time and saved a fortune and I just learned how to do it with youtube videos and various web pages. For those who like Welsh Mountains and narrow boats have a look at my videos and photos at..

http://www.youtube.com/user/conwy1
Post #422915 12th May 2015 3:58pm
chrispy

I'd love to my friend but I have some serious health issues that prevents me from doing it myself. My knees are shot to pieces and I have neuropathy as well. It's something I was always interested in but left it too late sadly. Besides, the guy whose doing it is going to smooth out the mottling in the snorkel and mirrors and colour code them so it looks like the bonnet and roof, nice and flat. He took me through everything he was going to do and he sounds like the right bloke for the job.
Post #422917 12th May 2015 4:00pm
shaggydog

United Kingdom 1991 Defender 110 200 Tdi USW Arles Blue
Quote:
It's encouraging though when people post to say it's coming along nice, it gives you encouragement to keep going

Very true but remember to take a step back and see what you have and where you want to be.

I found myself suddenly looking at performance intercoolers and carpeted everything and TDCI seats and expensive stereo systems and suddenly realised I didn't need any of what I thought I did and that actually I was quite happy with what I had.

Remember to take some time to actually use it and work out what you really want.

I found I really would benefit from a Webasto install, heated windscreen and wing mirrors so at some point when it warms up enough and the weather is good enough I will crack on with them.

Keep the updates coming though your doing a great job Thumbs Up Running Restoration Thread http://www.defender2.net/forum/post323197.html#323197

Self confessed mileage hunter Very Happy
Post #423051 12th May 2015 10:31pm
chrispy

Thanks Shaggy my friend. Tomorrow I'm switching out the mirrors I put on the other day for a pair exactly the same only with heater elements in them. When I send the old pair back I'm swapping them for the Bolt on Bits RDX Command Console XL to save going through the refund malarkey and it's something we were going to get in a few weeks anyway. Also on the agenda tomorrow afternoon is to finish off the soundproofing / insulation and to add some 2 stroke to the fuel tank to see if it actually does quieten it down a little. I'm really enjoying this to be honest, it's bloody addictive this Defender.

Thanks for the encouragement Shaggy, I really do appreciate it my friend. Thumbs Up
Post #423057 12th May 2015 10:43pm
chrispy

The bloody weather put paid to switching out the mirrors so hopefully it'll be a nice day tomorrow and I can do it then along with finishing off the soundproofing and getting the bloody radio reconnected since the garage cocked it up when they installed some new switches for the wife two weeks ago.

I had this delivered for her today and getting the snap off hub delivered next week.

Click image to enlarge

My question is.....how difficult is it to change the hub and steering wheel from the standard one that's in there now? The hub is a bolt in one, no welding required which is bloody good news for me as i'd really like to try and put it in myself. Has anyone switched a steering wheel on a Defender before? If so how difficult was it? Am I better off taking it to a garage to get it done? Any advice, hints, tips would be greatly appreciated.

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green
Post #423859 15th May 2015 7:47pm
consumerize

United Kingdom 2004 Defender 90 2.5 TD SW Java Black
Your best bet is a steering wheel puller. You can get them on eBay for about £5.

The other alternative, if your feeling strong... Undo the central bolt. Do not remove it. Pull and wiggle the steering wheel until your veins in your eyes almost burst. If s miracle happens it will come loose. This is where leaving the bolt on a few turns comes in, as you don't smack yourself in the face with it!

I got mine off by removing the indicators shroud and hitting it with a lump hammer many times.

Having done this twice, a puller and £5 spent is the way forward.
Post #423941 15th May 2015 11:40pm
chrispy

Thanks my friend, i'll order one now Thumbs Up
Post #423964 16th May 2015 7:42am
chrispy

Click image to enlarge

Steal my wife's wheels now mo'fo! Just had a snap off hub and trendy new steering wheel installed by my local Landy bod. In total it come to £158.99 with fitting (£69 for the hub from Lince Race & Rally on eBay, £54.99 for the RDX wheel from Bolt on Bits eBay and £35 for the mechanic to fit) and it's a great way to discourage thieves. Along with the X Defend pedal lock and other hidden measures my local crime prevention officer reckons that other than building a moat around my house and raising the drawbridge there's not much more I can do to protect my wife's 90. I was going to put it on myself but my neuropathy is getting out of hand now and stopping me from doing so many things I fear the rest of this is going to be a cheque book build sorry lads. I forgot to ask the Landy bod to take photo's but every job from now on will be documented properly. I'm seriously cheesed off with this medical condition, it's stopping me from doing everything and it's f'ing annoying (pardon my abbreviated bad language).
Post #428401 3rd Jun 2015 7:24pm
chrispy

It was a massive mistake sending off my headlining to Top Gaitors off eBay to recover. First of all they lost my (new) rear above door panel and can't find it and when I got the headlining back none of it has stuck properly and is sagging everywhere like my Disco did after the sunroofs leaked. A Censored poor job as well which is a shame as i've had stuff off them before that has been spot on. Take a look for yourself :-

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Then they managed to bend the front section in half leaving a gigantic crease by the thin panel right by the sunroof.

Click image to enlarge

This is generally very shoddy work and had I paid for it i'd be complaining. As it stands i'm one rear panel and £98 on courier fee's down. The wife is going to strip it and recover it herself as she used to do car interiors herself many years ago only in leather. This one was supposed to be leather but they switched it to alcantara afterwards. It will be sold along with the roof as i've just purchased a new roof with alpine windows but without sunroof and i'm buying a brand new headlining from LaSalle so I know the quality will be there. For gear and handbrake gaitors i'd say use them but if this is the quality of their work recovering themselves then avoid them like the plague.

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green
Post #433173 23rd Jun 2015 10:42pm
shaggydog

United Kingdom 1991 Defender 110 200 Tdi USW Arles Blue
Oh Deer sounds like you have had a bit of a time of it Sad

Sorry to hear that looks like something has gone seriously wrong there. As you said, glad you didn't pay for it!

I would be very interested to see what you think of the Lasalle trim I have heard only good things! They have indeed got a very good reputation so hopefully should all fit together nicely.

Where did you get the new roof from in the end? Running Restoration Thread http://www.defender2.net/forum/post323197.html#323197

Self confessed mileage hunter Very Happy
Post #433177 23rd Jun 2015 10:58pm
GREENI

United Kingdom 
Bogus Neutral
Post #433179 23rd Jun 2015 11:08pm
chrispy

It was a guy on Just Series & Defenders group on facebook mate. He was breaking his 90 and i've been wanting a roof without a sunroof since the beginning so I can put a mud overhead console in. It turns out he also had the rear interior plastic window trims for sale too less than half the price of a new set. I was talking to the guy who owns LaSalle (Andrew) for about half hour one day last week and he knows his stuff when it comes to headlinings etc. I'm buying the set of three speaker roof pods he does also to go with it. His products look amazing I must admit and I cxan buy them in the colour the wife wants for her 90 also so need to recover it.
Post #433227 24th Jun 2015 7:29am
Anderzander

United Kingdom 
I've heard a lot of good things about lasalle - seen a few fitted too and they look good.

I think the only thing to be mindful of is they can be tricky to cut and fit - particularly with alpine windows.
Post #433374 24th Jun 2015 5:10pm
chrispy

I was under the impression they came with alpine windows already cut out. I'm pretty sure they do two version - one with one without. I bloody hope they do anyway lol.
Post #433381 24th Jun 2015 5:33pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 5 of 8 <12345678>