Page 3 of 8 <12345678>
Print this entire topic · 
steve E

Wales 
Really enjoying your build mate Thumbs Up
Post #417867 21st Apr 2015 10:18am
chrispy

Wales 1987 Defender 90 300 Tdi CSW Keswick Green
Thank you Steve. I've just five minutes ago taken delivery of these LED spot lamps for the rubber A bar. Hopefully these will be installed on Thursday along with connecting up the rear LED work lamp wiring. These spots produce very little heat so there's not much risk of the glass breaking in cold weather and they're powered by 9 really bright LED's in each lamp. The WIPAC version of these cost £250 which is so far out of my price range it's not real Shocked

Click image to enlarge

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green
Post #417876 21st Apr 2015 10:47am
chrispy

After a weekend spent p***ing about with the rear worklights which would work and then they wouldn't I decided to spend Sunday afternoon soundproofing the roof in anticipation of our new leather headliner arriving sometime in the next two weeks when it's been recovered.

First of all I wiped down the roof where there seemed to be some oily substance covering it and then out came the silver space pads. These are brilliant I have to say. Sticky one side and shiny the other it's ideal for insulation and soundproofing and so easy to trim with a scissors or stanley knife it really is brilliant.

Starting at the back door and working forward.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

These soundproof / insulation panels come in boxes of 30 with each panel measuring 187mm x 265mm with a thickness of 2mm from a company on eBay called the sound-deadening-shop. It actually comes from a Soviet Navy formula if you believe that and costs £39.99 for a box with free postage. Being made of foil on the one side it's positively necessary if you wantg to stop the government / Bilderburg group / NWO from reading your thoughts and brain waves. Anyway, i've found i'll need an extra box to finish off the front cabin and also the rear walls to totally cover it 100%. Originally I thought one box would be enough but I was massively wrong, so it turns out quite expensive to do it all but being severely OCD I have to finish the job as I started.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Overall i'm really pleased with how this job is going as this Silent Coat stuff is lovely (and very easy) to work with. That's it for me now, i'm off to watch Orphan Black. I'll update this thread at the end of next week when the soundproofing will be finished and a few more jobs will be complete.

Thanks for reading.

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green
Post #419256 26th Apr 2015 8:14pm
Anderzander

United Kingdom 
I've used that in the back of mine - just the floor, wheel boxes, and side panels so far.

Did you roller yours ?
Post #419266 26th Apr 2015 8:30pm
chrispy

Not roller no why?
Post #419269 26th Apr 2015 8:32pm
Anderzander

United Kingdom 
I thought I could tell from the pictures that you hadn't,

I'm no expert, but it gives a firmer bond to the panel and blends the edges into each other - both of which help it do its thing.

I used our old wall paper roller - which looks a little like this:

Click image to enlarge

It's quite therapeutic rolling it out.
Post #419271 26th Apr 2015 8:46pm
chrispy

No I didn't bother with that as the headlining is going over it and they were put on quite firmly anyway. I tried once or twice to pull a piece off and it was on there good and proper.
Post #419273 26th Apr 2015 8:48pm
steventheplumber

England 1987 Defender 90 200 Tdi HT Keswick Green
Have read your post with interest, have had ours for just over a year. Would not be without her, all the best.

Click image to enlarge
Post #421350 5th May 2015 4:53pm
chrispy

Thanks my friend, my wife wouldn't be without hers either. We have major plans for it but at the moment things are on hold while we replenish our savings. Since buying it we've spent a little too much too quickly when we wanted to do it gradually where we wouldn't notice so much the money spent.

Last edited by chrispy on 6th May 2015 2:25pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #421433 5th May 2015 9:31pm
steventheplumber

Total understand they have a of draining money more than the government/ tax man. Have a list as long as your arm but you do have to put the brakes on!
Post #421553 6th May 2015 12:59pm
chrispy

The next thing to be done will be installing the leather headlining which we have fortunately had done for free front and back. After that it will just be the smaller bits until we can find someone local (ish) to do a good paint job for a price we can afford. I've been quoted £3k by some and they want the 90 for a month to do that, that's ridiculous. They want to do bits and bobs on this while doing other jobs at the same time. I have a budget of around £1.5k for the paint and the wife wants the bottom a matt green (almost a NATO green) and the top in gloss black (maybe a Santorini Black).

What do you have planned for your Steve?
Post #421573 6th May 2015 2:24pm
steventheplumber

Was hoping to get a respray done this year was quoted 2k plus a month to do. She is my everyday transport so have to work something out. Needs new bulkhead first or some good welding. Have changed both axles, heated leather seats, turbo sound proofed and lined the back, fitted a lock box to name a few jobs this year. I find that when you start a job more appear, so going on the if it ain't broke dont fix it motto at the mo! Lucas oil additive keeps her quite good investment. My wife wants her in British racing green.
Post #421602 6th May 2015 4:53pm
chrispy

The price of resprays is ridiculous these days. Ours is primered ready but they want to strip it all off and start again. She wants it done in a NATO green like on the Discovery in the picture below but with a gloss black roof. I quite like it to be honest.

Click image to enlarge

Yours sounds a good project. If it were me rather than Censored about with welding i'd get a new galv bulkhead. I've seen them being auctioned off on eBay and fetching less than a grand. By the time you mess about welding etc it'll only come back again further down the line. When it's your everyday transport it's a pain in the arse I know. I've got a TD5 Disco so whenever one is in the shop being worked on we have the other to use fortunately. Does the oil additive really quieten the engine significantly enough? My wife's 300Tdi was rebuilt but it sounds like a bloody tractor, I really need to insulate the bonnet etc.

Post #421644 6th May 2015 7:23pm
BuckBlu110

United Kingdom 1994 Defender 110 BMW M57 3.0 Diesel CSW Buckingham Blue
I had my 300 110 resprayed January last year, £1800 including vat, bloody good job they made of it too!
Chrispy, what about Keswick to compliment the santorini?
Post #421650 6th May 2015 7:35pm
chrispy

We thought about Keswick but it's a little lighter than what she wants and there's also quite a lot of Keswicks about now. We've seen a Defender in this colour with a black roof restored by an American company for someone and it looked absolutely boss, it seems to have stuck with the wife and she keeps going on about it.

So, £1800 for a 110 would make my guesstimate of £1500 (give or take £100 or so) about right as there are no dents to fill, no rust to treat, nothing that will cause extra work.
Post #421656 6th May 2015 7:44pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 3 of 8 <12345678>