Page 3 of 3 <123
Print this entire topic · 
Djcla

United Kingdom 
thats made me laugh a lot Blackwolf Laughing
Post #766860 4th Apr 2019 4:11pm
Bluest

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Java Black
I agree with Blackwolf, except if you aren't too old there may be some distant light at the end of the tunnel. At the point where there are so few internal combustion engines left and they aren't worth bothering with, we will hopefully be left alone. Much like if you own a steam traction engine, noone will care how much soot Poor's from your exhaust as it will be insignificant in the grand scheme of things. 2007 110 TDCi Station Wagon XS
Post #766873 4th Apr 2019 4:36pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
Yes, but unless diesel and petrol is a byproduct from the manufacture of hemp underwear, you won't be able to buy fuel! Big Cry
Post #766878 4th Apr 2019 4:53pm
Procta

United Kingdom 
I had this worry last year with my cars, just to see if they will pass, But that was the least of my worries, The mot tester was a right jobs worth, Didn't give a monkeys about the exhaust setup, but was silly about the noise of my 306 exhaust system ( exhaust loud) Its not even loud at all. Just a simple powerflow stainless steal decat system. The defender went though no bother and I had put a full blown cheap decat system on that, ( that was well rotten)
So I found if you have a friendly MOT tester, they should just pass the motor as normal, My old mot tester, Didn't even give too Censored about it, He said you can shove a full blown pipe with out a back box and it I will still pass it. Shame that garage doesn't mot cars anymore. Defender TD5 90 ---/--- Peugeot 306 HDI hatch back

Success is 90% Inspiration and 4 minutes Preparation # you can make it!
Post #766927 4th Apr 2019 8:50pm
landy andy

2006 Defender 110 Td5 USW Zermatt Silver
They won’t be allowed to remove covers from anything, so if you keep the acoustic cover they won’t be able to see what is fitted which I doubt they are even interested in. For later vehicles I can see them eventually being able to plug something in and find out about maps, egrs, and stuff, but not on the Td5 as it isn’t standard plug wiring and doesn’t get involved with the egr.
Post #766940 4th Apr 2019 10:42pm
Procta

United Kingdom 
i think a lot of testers don't bother going to in depth with a few things. I think most are more bothered if it passes the smoke test. so just be careful who maps these. Defender TD5 90 ---/--- Peugeot 306 HDI hatch back

Success is 90% Inspiration and 4 minutes Preparation # you can make it!
Post #766948 5th Apr 2019 6:14am
Supacat

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS DCPU Keswick Green
blackwolf wrote:
There are however two other considerations which you may want to bear in mind.

Firstly, whether or not the MOT tester notices, to use a vehicle on the road which has the factory-fitted emissions interfered with is now illegal, so technically if you have removed a FF cat or EGR, or simply run a map with the EGR deleted you are committing an offence. It is an offence which is unlikely to be detected, though.

Secondly, if you are stopped for a VOSA check and your vehicle is decatted or has had the EGR removed, then it is overwhelmingly likely that this will be detected and you will get (a) a fine and (b) a prohibition notice. Whilst it is fairly unlikely that you will be stopped for a VOSA check if you use your Defender as a "Chelsea Tractor" type SUV, if you have the "working truck" look, and especially if you are towing a big IW trailer, then it becomes very likely that you will be pulled sooner or later. (If you have the trailer on the back, you'd better have a good answer to the tachograph question too)!

A 3rd must be the insurance implications of knowingly running an illegal/unfit vehicle.
Post #766998 5th Apr 2019 12:42pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
Indeed, good point.
Post #767018 5th Apr 2019 1:35pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 3 of 3 <123