↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > Puma Clutch Death Rattle Again
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 7 1234567>
Print this entire topic · 
Allan

Australia 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SVX Station Wagon Santorini Black
Puma Clutch Death Rattle Again
The wife drove the SVX home from work today to have me listen to the death rattle of another Puma clutch. This is the second time in 19000km. The first time it was fitted with a modified version. I think possibly from a noddy type car. Can Land Rover/Ford not build a clutch. My question is, has their been a further clutch update, or do I have to put up with this crap until I weaken and sell it? Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad

Allan
Post #35318 29th Jun 2010 4:17pm
bob neville

Spain 2001 Defender 90 Td5 SW Epsom Green
Apparently there is but ....

Mine had it fitted last week. Picked vehicle up, clutch bites about 1/4 " off the floor and it was like an on/off switch.

Back in dealer, they have changed the slave cylinder, gearbox out to do the work, no better. They have just changed the master cylinder and I am waiting to here if that has resolved the issue.

Not a lot left to change so it had better be OK.

Bob
Post #35319 29th Jun 2010 4:41pm
MK

Chile 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Chawton White
This is really an issue. Tomorrow I`m visiting the dealer to check on the clutch (2nd one). Apparently LR is not capable to design a good one. I think at the end IŽll to get a bespoke design with jap specs (mitsubishi, toyota, etc) Puma 110" SW

Earth first. Other planets later
Post #35320 29th Jun 2010 4:43pm
mse

United Kingdom 2016 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Scotia Grey
Im having my third fitted tomorrow

Same deal - my car has only done 14k (miles) total!

1st clutch
2nd - Modified Version
3rd - Restricted revised version tomorrow.

Here is hoping.

My question to LR was what damage is the rattle doing...or has done - i dont know, nor did they although they did make some personal assurances which would not be fair to repeat Mike
Post #35322 29th Jun 2010 5:16pm
bob neville

Good luck Mike - that is the one I have had fitted.

Master cylinder did not resolve the issue - basically the vehicle is undriveable.

I will find out Wednesday what the next steps are - a revised, revised restricted version ?

Bob
Post #35323 29th Jun 2010 5:23pm
mse

bob neville wrote:
Good luck Mike - that is the one I have had fitted.

Master cylinder did not resolve the issue - basically the vehicle is undriveable.

I will find out Wednesday what the next steps are - a revised, revised restricted version ?

Bob

I think you will recall in one of my other posts - My clutch was at the dealers some weeks ago - its just been getting a time to get it in.

mine certainly isnt undrivable, but it certainly makes some noise in various conditions when worked and has some selection issues seperately.

The new selector solved the selection rattle (again!)

BTW the updated clutch has to be released by warranty - so if yours wasnt you didnt get it...it took a week and proof to get them to approve it some months ago. Mike
Post #35324 29th Jun 2010 5:27pm
Robofarmer

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Stornoway Grey
On my way down the main rd this morning i went for fifth gear and it would not go in! or 6th or 4th or 3rd!!! . pulled over and turn engine off and started in gear. drove half a mile and it sounded like world war three was kick,n off in the gear box! . has anybody had the same? This is my first gear box problem and it has done 38k.. . LR have taken it away to sort under warranty but as i am due to drive across france , switzeland and into italy in six wks time i,m not happy Evil or Very Mad Big Cry Big Cry . 2008 110 County utility
ex 1988 defender 90 ,td
ex 1970 series III
Post #35326 29th Jun 2010 6:29pm
mrwoo

United Kingdom 2004 Defender 90 Td5 CSW Epsom Green
Robofarmer wrote:
On my way down the main rd this morning i went for fifth gear and it would not go in! or 6th or 4th or 3rd!!! . pulled over and turn engine off and started in gear. drove half a mile and it sounded like world war three was kick,n off in the gear box! . has anybody had the same? This is my first gear box problem and it has done 38k.. . LR have taken it away to sort under warranty but as i am due to drive across france , switzeland and into italy in six wks time i,m not happy Evil or Very Mad Big Cry Big Cry .

It could be a gear selector issue see here - Thumbs Up

http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic3324.html?highlight=selector

Technical Service Bulletin No.LTB00211
30 April 2009

Subject/Concern: Transmission Stuck in Gear, Selector Shaft Detents Now Available

Models: Defender (LD) 2.4 Puma Diesel 2.4 Puma Diesel VIN-range: 7A732615 Onwards

Markets: All
Section: 308-03

Summary: This Technical Bulletin is to advise that the transmission selector shaft detents are now available as a serviceable part. Therefore it is no longer necessary to replace the complete transmission assembly for concerns related to the transmission selector shaft detents (transmission stuck in gear).

Should it become necessary to replace the transmission selector shaft detents, refer to the new procedure detailed in Global Technical Reference GTR Workshop Manual, section 308-03.

Parts Required:
Description Part Number Quantity
Transmission Detent Kit LR017294 1

Labour Time:
Operation Description Operation No. Time
Selector Shaft Detents – renew 37.16.75 4.9 hours 1964 Series IIA SWB Truck Cab - gone
1981 Series III SWB Hardtop - gone
1982 Series III SWB Hardtop - gone
1997 300Tdi Defender 90 Hardtop - gone
1983 Series III SWB Station Wagon - gone
1979 Series III SWB Station Wagon - gone
2007 90 CSW - gone
2010 USW XS - gone
2010 110 USW - gone

1959 Series II Truck Cab
1984 Series III CSW
2004 TD5 90 CSW
Post #35328 29th Jun 2010 6:42pm
Robofarmer

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Stornoway Grey
[quote="mrwoo"]
Robofarmer wrote:
On my way down the main rd this morning i went for fifth gear and it would not go in! or 6th or 4th or 3rd!!! . pulled over and turn engine off and started in gear. drove half a mile and it sounded like world war three was kick,n off in the gear box! . has anybody had the same? This is my first gear box problem and it has done 38k.. . LR have taken it away to sort under warranty but as i am due to drive across france , switzeland and into italy in six wks time i,m not happy Evil or Very Mad Big Cry Big Cry .

It could be a gear selector issue see here - Thumbs Up

http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic3324.html?highlight=selector

Technical Service Bulletin No.LTB00211
30 April 2009

Subject/Concern: Transmission Stuck in Gear, Selector Shaft Detents Now Available

Models: Defender (LD) 2.4 Puma Diesel 2.4 Puma Diesel VIN-range: 7A732615 Onwards

Markets: All
Section: 308-03

Summary: This Technical Bulletin is to advise that the transmission selector shaft detents are now available as a serviceable part. Therefore it is no longer necessary to replace the complete transmission assembly for concerns related to the transmission selector shaft detents (transmission stuck in gear).

Should it become necessary to replace the transmission selector shaft detents, refer to the new procedure detailed in Global Technical Reference GTR Workshop Manual, section 308-03.

Thanks for that info mr woo i,ll take alook ! Thumbs Up Thumbs Up 2008 110 County utility
ex 1988 defender 90 ,td
ex 1970 series III
Post #35329 29th Jun 2010 6:50pm
Higgers

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Firenze Red
bob neville wrote:
Apparently there is but ....

Mine had it fitted last week. Picked vehicle up, clutch bites about 1/4 " off the floor and it was like an on/off switch.

Back in dealer, they have changed the slave cylinder, gearbox out to do the work, no better. They have just changed the master cylinder and I am waiting to here if that has resolved the issue.

Not a lot left to change so it had better be OK.

Bob

Mine was exactly the same, on or off with the clutch. Then did the Pot Noodle Challenge which was only light off roading, occasionally ticking along on anti stall.

Now its exactly the same as before, ie rattly.
Post #35341 29th Jun 2010 8:46pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
bob neville

Mike

I have had no confirmation as to exactly what version has been fitted but the dealer did say it was different to the version 2 I had fitted a couple of months ago, maybe there is a version 2.5 Laughing

There was a mod to some of the pipework that also had to be done with the new clutch, which they did Friday when they were not happy with the clutch operation.

What they can't work out is why there is no adjustment at all - so I will have to wait to see what the resolution is.

They were trying to resolve the very notchy gear change, which the v2 did for a while, and that is why they went for a later version of the clutch. The new one did make changes up a lot better, provided you could get used to the on/off aspect, but there was no way you could change down through the box - I could not select any lower gear without stopping.

Bob

Bob
Post #35347 29th Jun 2010 9:16pm
mse

The clutch should bite at a normal point not a 1/4 down.

The change was to replace some small part - so not the major change v2 was. I was told, but have forgotten - they will be keeping it if the clutch points arent the same - I dont expect silky gear changes though.

I do wonder if there is something up with the gearboxes - i know this shouldnt be a factor, but it makes you wonder - how many times do you change a clutch before considering something else is causing the faults. (im not talking mine now) Mike
Post #35354 29th Jun 2010 10:45pm
Allan

Australia 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SVX Station Wagon Santorini Black
I think my clutch rattle started a couple of months ago. I went for a trip down south, about 200km non stop in warm conditions, slowed to 50 km in the town and stopped to turn into shops for booze. When I turned into the drive it seemed to chatter like a bag of spanners. has done this a few times since but now very obvious rattle as it did when the first clutch sh.t its self. Does anyone know if its the pressure plate or the driven plate centre springs that go?

Allan
Post #35360 30th Jun 2010 1:28am
MK

Chile 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Chawton White
Well, tomorrow I`m visiting the stealer to check the clutch (supposed to be V2). After reading this thread I`m confused. Is there any newer bulletin regarding the clutch plate?

thanks
MK Puma 110" SW

Earth first. Other planets later
Post #35364 30th Jun 2010 3:10am
bob neville

MK wrote:
Well, tomorrow I`m visiting the stealer to check the clutch (supposed to be V2). After reading this thread I`m confused. Is there any newer bulletin regarding the clutch plate?

thanks
MK

MK

I will try and explain what my dealer has just told me.

There are three versions of clutches , the original, the upgraded (v2) and the restricted/revised that Mike is having fitted - this is not on general release from what I was told.

The problem my vehicle has is that with it's second revised v2 the clutch bites at about 1/4" off the floor. It has had a new slave cylinder and new master cylinder plus revised pipework. After the new master was fitted last night everything appeared to be fixed, the same as at the weekend. However, after being parked overnight the clutch bite position returned to 1/4" off the floor. The dealer agrees that the vehicle is undriveable and the problem is now with the LR technical team.

Bob
Post #35384 30th Jun 2010 12:43pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 7 1234567>