↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Steering wheel advice
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Rudski

Steering wheel advice
I hope some of you knowledgeable peeps can help with this.

I understand that the steering wheel thing has been done to death, I have been researching this as another security measure and have reviewed the threads using the search facility also.

I have decided on momo jet 14"steering wheel
Rdx slimline 48 spline boss
Snap off quick release

I have read that 64 plt built before or upto sept 2014 then the above will fit Thumbs Up

Then just to confuse me mud stuffs site states if it's a 2015 my with DSC then its a different kind of boss. The car was registered in Sept 2014 on a 64 plt but also has DSC, where do I find which model year it is to clarify Question I've checked the V5 which doesn't tell me.

Thanks Thumbs Up
Post #411059 26th Mar 2015 11:09am
munch90

England 
think the easy way is if dsc fitted , then you need a special/different boss because off the steering angel sensor fitted below the wheel
Post #411064 26th Mar 2015 11:30am
Go Beyond

United Kingdom 
As munch90 says Bow down - If the vehicle has DSC fitted then you need a 2015/DSC boss Thumbs Up
Post #411066 26th Mar 2015 11:35am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Griff_L322

Wales 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Corris Grey
Yes, with a June 15 HT XS 90 on its way also looking at a new steering wheel we want the slimest boss and momo wheel not sure which one yet, the bowler tested was very nice from Conway LR
Post #411082 26th Mar 2015 12:40pm
Rudski

Thanks guys,

I thought it was to do with wheel spin and yaw picked up with sensors on the vehicle, I didn't realise that the steering had a sensor aswell.

So if I'm picking this up right as long as I get the correct boss I can still get the steering wheel and snap off boss that I want Question

Does it cause any problems with the fitting, special tools etc Question

Thanks again for the replies Thumbs Up
Post #411092 26th Mar 2015 1:31pm
5 POT

United Kingdom 2005 Defender 110 Td5 SW Java Black
Nitram on here used a similar set up but a Momo Millenium and Twisted Slim line boss with a snap off quick release.

As long as the boss is 15MY for DSC there is no extra tools needed for fitting.
Post #411113 26th Mar 2015 2:26pm
Rudski

Thanks 5 pot

I've just found the info from bolt on bits, just need to keep away from the collar sensor adjacent to the steering wheel. Thumbs Up

Once again excellent feedback Bow down
Post #411114 26th Mar 2015 2:32pm
Rudski

Iv'e just spoken to twisted. A very helpful chap with regards to this DSC issue.
They have manufactured a slimline boss approximately 25mm thick, this is fitted with the millenium sport wheel But they seem to think there might be an issue fitting the snap off system because of a lip on the boss, has anybody on here overcome this or used their system Question

They have said a customer had to adapt it using a bigger washer to allow fitment was it anyone on here Question

Cheers
Mark
Post #411130 26th Mar 2015 3:03pm
nitram17

it was me....the twisted is the slimmest on the market but only combined with a mono millennium wheel.
I combined it with a Murray snap off it is great but expensive......but we'll worth it......the Murray snap of does not directly fit the boss but it is easily sorted ------i got mine machined to fit but you could use a washer to raise the wider part of the boss so as to make it flat to fit the snap off. or you can simply file it down flat with a grinder.......its only there to position the wheel but as the wheel is firmly secured by the screws you don't need it .....also your snap off may fit as its just a quirk of the murray one that causes a problem...........
I'm at work now soand using a tablet so the quality of this post could be better.....look at my posts or lorrymans or gilarians. for a rounded picture .....I'm out tonight. but if you want to pm me for any info I will try to help.....its deffo the thinnest setup if your using a snap off and the twisted boss. could not be made any thinner imo. and the snap off is play free up to now!
Post #411149 26th Mar 2015 5:11pm
Rudski

Thanks nitram
Yes it seems twisted is the thinnest out there but as you say it has a lip that fouls the snap off system,

I'm waiting for Land Rover solutions to call back with their dimensions for the boss they supply, obviously not as thin as twisted kit but quite a bit cheaper and hopefully a straight bolt up job without extra work.

Thanks for the reply Thumbs Up
Cheers mark
Post #411156 26th Mar 2015 5:28pm
nitram17

Have a look here for some more pics of the twisted boss and murray snap off !
http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic34822.html
Post #411675 28th Mar 2015 12:41pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1