↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Technical > Electric windows without the ignition on
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
discoch1

Switzerland 2002 Defender 110 Td5 CSW Zermatt Silver
Electric windows without the ignition on
I know this sounds a crazy question, but is it possible to operate the electric windows on a 110 td5 2002 without having the ignition on.
There is nothing more anoying than being on a camp site late at night and having to turn the ignition almost on just to open or close the window and having the fuel pump sounding as if you are about to start up and drive out.
The same goes for being parked up near wild/tame animals and wanting to photo without the glass in the way.
It frightens the living daylights out of horses or deer!

Any ideas?
Post #33947 8th Jun 2010 3:31pm
K9F

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
Just bypass the ignition switch. I cannot speak for a TD5 as I don't have the diagrams but I have had a quick look at the Puma ones. On a Puma by disconnecting terminals IN1 and 1 on ignition switch S176 and linking them together this would theoretically make the windows operable without the requirement for the ignition to be manually switched on. Disadvantage of course would be easy access for any toe rag that can get a length of wire through your door seal to operate your window.

Just a thought! Dog Thumbs Up Dog If you go through life with your head in the sand....all people will see is an ar5e!!

Treat every day as if it is your last....one day you will be right!!
Post #33952 8th Jun 2010 4:01pm
dm_td5

Australia 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Zermatt Silver
Have a look here: http://www.aulro.com/afvb/projects-tutoria...r-lrs.html 110 2.4TDCi
110 300Tdi

LROCV ::: AULRO.com
Post #34012 9th Jun 2010 9:04am
K9F

dm_td5 wrote:
Have a look here: http://www.aulro.com/afvb/projects-tutoria...r-lrs.html

Have just tried but you need to register to view!!!! Can you not cut and paste possibly? If you go through life with your head in the sand....all people will see is an ar5e!!

Post #34013 9th Jun 2010 9:10am
dm_td5

Australia 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Zermatt Silver
The link is to a thread on the forum with details and pictures of what one of the members has done to allow the windows to open/close like on a D2 by adding a delay circuit. Very good but a little difficult to copy across to here. 110 2.4TDCi
110 300Tdi

LROCV ::: AULRO.com
Post #34019 9th Jun 2010 10:52am
discoch1

Hi guys.

I was going to reply yesterday, but got bogged down with work:::::Smile

The bi pass sounds a good idea and I'll have to find time to dig in the wiring charts.
The link I have also just tried but as you say you have to register. Try to get round to doing that as well.

With regard to the easy access, well I have a second alarm fitted, that also works at long range if I can see someone is to close to my beasty.
Silly thing is the second alarm has about 500m range and the crudy Landrover Lucas thing I have to stand right next to the door to get it to respond.

My biggest problem is sometimes I am right out in the wilds somewhere on a photo shoot early in the morning
and I cant take the photo because the fuel pump starts up Bzzzzz.

Anybody any other Ideas.

Greetings from cooking hot Switzerland
Post #34121 10th Jun 2010 1:59pm
K9F

Discoch 1,

For your needs bypassing the ignition switch is the best solution, by doing this with the window supply only you don't need to touch the ignition switch for window operation and therefore your fuel pump will not run. It is also the cheapest option too with just a length of cable, a few tywraps and a couple of in-line splices needed.

With regards to alarm activation there is a simple solution to extend the alarm box aerial. I cannot speak for the TD5 but on the Puma it has been the most practical and quickest modification you can do. I am sure if you have a search on the forums there must be the same modification option on a TD5 or someone with TD5 experience can advise if it is possible.

Let us know the path you take. Thumbs Up If you go through life with your head in the sand....all people will see is an ar5e!!

Post #34125 10th Jun 2010 2:31pm
Zinke

United Kingdom 2003 Defender 90 Td5 HT Epsom Green
The mod for the TD5 alarm is exactly the same as the Puma, just the control box is in a slightly different place. If you remove the dash panel you will see it behind where the speedo lives.
Post #34182 10th Jun 2010 11:32pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Mad Cow

England 2007 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Zermatt Silver
How about bypassing the ignition but instead of just splicing the cables together connect them via a switch (possibly in a concealed location)?

That way when you leave the vehicle you can disengage the electic windows for security. Or just leave the cables in the normal position but bridge them through the switch, that way windows will disengage normally with the ignition unless you choose to over-ride them by flicking the switch.

And this is how you do the alarm remote modification, did to mine and it's great.

http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic2149.html? MAD COW

2007 90 Hard Top - 2009 BMW F800GS - 2002 CCM 604E Dual Sport

Project90

Last edited by Mad Cow on 11th Jun 2010 1:48pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #34205 11th Jun 2010 1:45pm
K9F

Mad Cow wrote:
How about bypassing the ignition but instead of just splicing the cables together connect them via a switch (possibly in a concealed location)?

Good idea! Thumbs Up

Alarm modification still amazes me on it's practicality and fuctionality I can get mine to operate from a good 25-30 metres. If you go through life with your head in the sand....all people will see is an ar5e!!

Post #34207 11th Jun 2010 1:47pm
discoch1

@Mad Cow

I did ask AndewS I think last December on the link that is posted but as I hadn't been on the forum long
enough he wasn't prepared to help me out with the alarm.

I too also thought of putting a switch in for the window connections. It is good that somone elso has come up with this idea. So I am not alone.

Maybe AndrewS will get back to me?
Post #34219 11th Jun 2010 3:06pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1