Home > My Defender > Rosco's Montalcino 110
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 7 of 12 <123 ... 678 ... 101112>
Print this entire topic · 
okennedy

Ireland 
Great thread - keep it going (obviously when you have a chance!) Thumbs Up
Post #655373 6th Oct 2017 2:55pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Rosco

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Montalcino Red
Time for an update I suppose.

The new year marked 3 years of ownership for me, and also the end of the warranty. Over the previous 6 months my contact at the dealer had picked up a couple of things that they would sort under warranty and we agreed come November we’d discuss what was needed and get it booked in, and to also sort the first MOT. I should have read the warning signs when it took over a week of trying to get it booked in, but on the 8th December the 110 was collected and a nice Evoque left in its place for 7 days.

And after 3 years of waiting for decent snow……

Click image to enlarge

To be fair the Evoque was great in the snow, but I’d much rather have had my Defender. Phone on the 7th day (the Friday) to confirm the bodyshop has been busy, but they will get it back to me Tuesday/Wednesday next week. That was the last I heard off them until I called to inform them the vehicle is no longer taxed as the DVLA have cancelled the direct debit as the MOT had expired. Took a bit of explaining to them why I hadn’t sorted the tax out, and they assured me of an update in an hour. Two days later, “it’ll be back Thursday.”

Thursday came around and true to form, at the 11th hour, “sorry, but your car is still at the body shop. It’ll be back and MOT’d tomorrow.”
“OK” I say, “I’ll collect it Saturday.”
Sadly Friday also passes without any confirmation that its back with them, or that the MOT has been carried out, so I can’t tax it, and I have to cancel.

Monday, no communication from the service department, but an email from the technician who has done a vehicle health check at the same time as the MOT, and recorded his findings on a video link. The health check points out the wipers are worn, and the brake discs are at 60%. No drama’s, I can sort these myself, but it does highlight that three of the items its gone in to have done under warranty, haven’t been!!!
Yet another phone call, and the response to the three items
Bumper fixing bolt is corroded – “we swapped that after the MOT”
Lower mesh grill hasn’t been repainted – “we fitted that after the MOT” (despite being sat at the body shop for 3 weeks???)
Replace dummy hinge brackets as finish is bubbling – I’ve provided an aluminium set from Huttopia, as this is the second set that needs replacing but they have literally fitted them. No attempt to paint them. “Erm, I’m not sure why they haven’t painted them”

They also decided to tell me at this point they haven’t replaced the side steps as they are damaged. Fair enough, but why wait until now. They’ve already told me it’s had everything done that I listed out, after a previous visit to agree what they were going to sort out. Now changing their mind on what was previously agreed.

They’ve had it four weeks now. Its left me speechless at the incompetence, and I dread to think what else they haven’t bothered with.

The upshot is they are returning it to the body shop today, and I will collect Saturday, but I won’t be holding my breath Evil or Very Mad

On a positive note, its now MOT'd, but only after they knocked it back on a loose number plate and headlight out of alignment. 2007 - Stornoway Grey 90 XS SW - Gone
2002 - Black Discovery II - Gone
2014 - Montalcino Red 110 XS SW
Post #677200 9th Jan 2018 2:59pm
TJ101

Isle Of Man 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Montalcino Red
Rosco

No consolation to you,,, But i am so glad i look after mine myself !!! One word Numptys !!!! California F1, 75th 110 "Kermit", 50th Ann V8, 90 V8 Hybrid, 55 Series 1

Main Brian James Trailer Dealer for South West UK
Post #677201 9th Jan 2018 3:21pm
markalpha

England 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Santorini Black
I feel your pain Rosco. You are not alone with issues with Dealers Big Cry
Post #677270 9th Jan 2018 8:22pm
Rosco

Thanks gents.

I think I can safely say that I'll be cancelling my service agreement once it's back in my hands and using an independent/doing more of my own maintenance from now on.

The most irritating thing is all the previous dealings have been 5 star, but sadly for me the contact has moved onwards and upwards (and I wish him all the best at it) and revealed just how much he was personally doing to achieve the customer service. The muppets left filling his place couldn't give a monkeys.

It's been a real sour point of ownership, but sadly is echo' by Jaguar driving colleagues. You buy them because we like the vehicles, but all suffer at the hands of the dealers Rolling Eyes 2007 - Stornoway Grey 90 XS SW - Gone
Post #677299 9th Jan 2018 9:27pm
Morepower

New Zealand 
I feel for you Rosco... The 90 needed quite a significant list of warranty work (New Roof, Diff, Heater Box, and the front wings aligning plus the usual list of corroded bolts etc)... Popped into the Dealer 1st week of October... Arranged to drop it in 1st Week of November... Still not got it back and haven't heard a peep from them...
Although, I did speak to them when the Skytag reported that the battery was going flat.... Actually I think I'll call them tomorrow...

Regards

Tim It doesn't matter how bad it is, It can always get worse...

2013 Bowler 110 (Sold)
2016 Bowler 90 Rally Spec (Sold)
Post #677313 9th Jan 2018 9:53pm
jst

2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Stornoway Grey
They have had it since first week in Nov! Really! Must be a rechassis and respray after 9 weeks! Cheers

James
110 XS Utility
130 Puma Station wagon/camper (in the making)
90 Puma Hardtop
Post #677317 9th Jan 2018 10:00pm
Rosco

The rate they are working at I'll have it back in time for 2019's social weekend James Rolling with laughter

Tim, I'd be climbing the walls if they'd have had it that long, especially when they can't be bothered to keep you updated. And it's that, that is really winding me up. The total lack of ability to pick up the phone and in a timely fashion say "ever so sorry, but it's not ready yet". I'm pretty laid back about things in life, but poor customer service pushes buttons. Evil or Very Mad

Now, the comment today after realising they've not painted the hinge blocks was we'll send it back to the body shop today, and it will be ready Saturday. My jaguar driving colleague drives past the dealers on his way home and has confirmed, it's still there with its unpainted hinge blocks.
Given tomorrow is Wednesday, anyone taking bets at what point they realise it's not ready? Rolling Eyes 2007 - Stornoway Grey 90 XS SW - Gone
Post #677328 9th Jan 2018 10:26pm
Morepower

New Zealand 
TBH I think the problem is JLR... The WHOLE roof needed replacing and wasn't available when I dropped the 90 in... I also stressed that I wanted all the seals replacing as they never seal correctly once they've been off... Another issue which maybe holding the job up is the Dealer has to send the 90 to Glasgow for painting!!! (Dealer is in Sterling)... I will phone them today and report back as it's been 5 weeks since I've heard ANYTHING... Luckily we have the 110 and my Giulietta QV to run around in as we'd be stuffed if the 90 was our only form of transport...

Regards

Tim It doesn't matter how bad it is, It can always get worse...

2013 Bowler 110 (Sold)
2016 Bowler 90 Rally Spec (Sold)
Post #677369 10th Jan 2018 8:26am
Rosco

OK, quick update, mostly because I'm dubious about the level of quality.

Car went back to the body shop yesterday at 10am. The dealer has rang to say the body shop are finished with it and sending it back today and all will be ready for the pre-arranged Saturday collection.

I know the hinge blocks are only small, but what level of quality will the finish be, having been with them for only slightly more than 24 hours?

Also who's footing the diesel bill for all this extra to and fro? 2007 - Stornoway Grey 90 XS SW - Gone
Post #677697 11th Jan 2018 5:23pm
TJ101

If the bookshop gets on and does the job, 24 hours is more than enough to have a quality job on just the blocks ! California F1, 75th 110 "Kermit", 50th Ann V8, 90 V8 Hybrid, 55 Series 1

Post #677699 11th Jan 2018 5:31pm
Rosco

Tim I'd have more faith if it had gone to a bookshop Laughing

But thanks for the reassurance. Just keen to get it back now. 2007 - Stornoway Grey 90 XS SW - Gone
Post #677709 11th Jan 2018 5:54pm
TJ101

Darn Phone !!!!! Rolling with laughter California F1, 75th 110 "Kermit", 50th Ann V8, 90 V8 Hybrid, 55 Series 1

Post #677710 11th Jan 2018 6:03pm
Rosco

So I had the call Friday afternoon to confirm the 110 was back from the body shop, again, so agreed to collect it 10am this morning. Got there as arranged to find the service contact I've been dealing with "not in today, but they've left you this" and just handed my keys and the copy of the MOT.

Being the sceptical sort now they've had it so long, I took my time and had a walk round it before I left. All of three minutes later I'm back in the service reception handing my keys back. Cue another 40 mins taking the after sales manager and workshop manger round the vehicle, again.

To be fair most of the work has been done, and to a reasonable standard, but they've not changed the few door bolts with surface rust, the rear step, missing interior trim clip or washed it since coming back from the body shop. In fact they'd managed to leave some old rags and sanding belt paper in the boot Rolling Eyes

They've also let me know today they aren't changing the side steps due to damage to the underside of them. Why not tell me before???

To be fair to the ASM he was very apologetic, and I think he's genuinely embarrassed about the poor level of communication from his staff. I suspect they'll be having conversations Monday.

Up shot, they've still got the 110 whilst they sort the outstanding items, have agreed to swap all the door bolts, and will also give the tow pack a lick over in hammerite as it looks poor against the refinished cross member, and I've another week in the Evoque.

What is they say about trusting your gut instinct? Evil or Very Mad 2007 - Stornoway Grey 90 XS SW - Gone
Post #678246 13th Jan 2018 10:07pm
mk1collector

England 2004 Defender 110 Td5 CSW Bonatti Grey
We picked ours up on Friday in the dark (they had parked it well away from any lights) it all looked good as it should being the third attempt at fixing the problems and causing more damage while trying. Unfortunately we realised today that since they re-covered the drivers seat back (that they damaged while replacing the seat foam that had collapsed) now the heated seat doesn't work and the wife says the seat now rocks around Rolling Eyes keep your chin up, yours will be fixed completely one day Thumbs Up Ray
My build thread
http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic17615.html
Post #678285 14th Jan 2018 1:34am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 7 of 12 <123 ... 678 ... 101112>