↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > 2014 2.2tdci Galv Chassis Project
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
GUM97

United Kingdom 1997 Defender 90 300 Tdi HT Stornoway Grey
Just for reference, I first used Richards about 4 (maybe 5) years ago, and then most recently about 2 months ago. The quality over that period of time has improved massively. I'd agree with Gilarion's comments about the first chassis I had off them, but the latest one was brilliant, and I didn't have to do anything on it! Thumbs Up An engine to TDi for!
"Land Rover- Proudly turning drivers into mechanics since 1948"
Post #384577 3rd Jan 2015 7:33pm
Cuthbert

If the original Puma chassis is fabricated by GKN - and you don't want any mods to the chassis done. Can you buy a chassis as a spare via a range of dealers and just get your local galvaniser to dip it for you?

If the quality of the galvanising is key to your purchasing decision - there might be an advantage in dealing direct with the galvaniser?

Cleaning out threads is a form of positive therapy for those who cannot stomach watching TV for the masses.
Post #384591 3rd Jan 2015 8:03pm
big steve

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Montalcino Red
Indeed I did we had a 110 that landrover sold to foleys but they didn't want it to go to a dealer for warranty work so thus galvanising the chassis voided it then we bolted a 3.2 in to it and that was that one 2011 warranty free defender Smile

Steve 2015 2.2 tdci hardtop xs
3.2 conversion DONE 238bhp and 707nm torque and thats just the start ;-P
hybrid turbo in build -done ready to fit
ashcroft atb in transfer box
6 speed auto in build
Post #384592 3rd Jan 2015 8:07pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
JustStarting

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Barolo Black
Cuthbert wrote:
If the original Puma chassis is fabricated by GKN - and you don't want any mods to the chassis done. Can you buy a chassis as a spare via a range of dealers and just get your local galvaniser to dip it for you?

If the quality of the galvanising is key to your purchasing decision - there might be an advantage in dealing direct with the galvaniser?

Cleaning out threads is a form of positive therapy for those who cannot stomach watching TV for the masses.

Good question? I will make some enquiries but I suspect that the bulk discount that Richards and Marsland get makes theirs comparatively cheaper ? MY2015 110 Urban Truck Expedition Spec
2005 Td5 TwinCab
1998 110 CSW 300tdi
Post #384661 3rd Jan 2015 10:51pm
JustStarting

big steve wrote:
Indeed I did we had a 110 that landrover sold to foleys but they didn't want it to go to a dealer for warranty work so thus galvanising the chassis voided it then we bolted a 3.2 in to it and that was that one 2011 warranty free defender Smile

Steve

Hi Steve

What Chassis did you use please?

Also did you do anything other than the engine swap that you could recommend? MY2015 110 Urban Truck Expedition Spec
2005 Td5 TwinCab
1998 110 CSW 300tdi
Post #384662 3rd Jan 2015 10:52pm
big steve

It was the original unit just galvanised to void the warranty
A lot of people question as to why such a new vehicle has a Galv chassis
Is it really worth unless you know you will be keeping it forever guaranteed ?
Steve 2015 2.2 tdci hardtop xs
6 speed auto in build
Post #384684 4th Jan 2015 12:09am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Cuthbert

Remember that a hot dip zinc galvanised chassis does not grant a free pass to The Eternal World. At the end of the day it is a 'sacrificial' coating, that dependant upon the conditions you expose it to will affect how long the underlying steel remains in tip top condition.

It is also perfectly acceptable to have it re-galvanised if and when the zinc coating deteriorates to the point at which the chassis begins to show signs of slight surface rust appearing. No need to buy a new chassis - just take it back to the galvanisers - if you are still alive and interested in Defenders at that point.
Post #384693 4th Jan 2015 12:34am
JustStarting

Thanks Cuthbert I had read you could re coat as needed

I was looking to clean the chassis off, prime it and then cover it in Schultz or similar

Steve the only reason I was looking at Galv was that it's hopefully a keeper but even if not I know that I will 100% continue to use it off road and for days away etc

Are standard chassis's significantly cheaper? MY2015 110 Urban Truck Expedition Spec
2005 Td5 TwinCab
1998 110 CSW 300tdi
Post #384696 4th Jan 2015 12:42am
big steve

Personally I would only use a standard genuine chassis for rebuilding yours onto I'd order it from landrover using your vin then it can't be wrong ? 2015 2.2 tdci hardtop xs
6 speed auto in build
Post #384753 4th Jan 2015 11:47am
dondiddy

Scotland 1998 Defender 90 300 Tdi ST Nato Green
Worth noting perhaps! A new chassis from Landrover is much more expensive than a replacement galvanised chassis from the likes of Richards/Marshland etc. At 2009 prices a 90 chassis was around £3,500 plus a £1,000 surcharge as you had to give back your old chassis.You did get it delivered free to your door for that price though! A replacement galvanised chassis was not an option for me as the vehicle in question was a Wolf and no one did an aftermarket chassis for it. Prices for all swb chassis were about the same at £3,500 so the fact that it was a Wolf did not make it any more expensive than a standard chassis! Also a "new" chassis from Landrover could be several years old and have been stored outside all the time as was the case with mine! Smile
Post #384798 4th Jan 2015 2:16pm
Cuthbert

On my last visit to the galvanisers, we were discussing the return of a large steel fabrication for re-galvanising. The managing director was bemused as to why this large item was being returned as the integrity of the steelwork was absolutely fine. The customer however had noted that the shiny as-new galvanised finish had gone slightly matt. "Perfectly normal" said our technical guru "and it doesn't affect the anti-corrosion capability at all". Still the customer wanted the just-dipped effect - so our man got paid twice within months to re-do the job.

Customers! ..... what do they know?

The steel fabrication, now re-dipped will still outlive the customer (and his off-spring), even when the finish turns matt.
Post #384971 4th Jan 2015 9:32pm
millepet

Belgium 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Orkney Grey

Click image to enlarge

I had an accident with my MY2009 Tdci 110SW, and I am forced to replace the chassis. I bought a Richards chassis. If someone is interested, I will discribe the swap.

Click image to enlarge
Post #745603 13th Dec 2018 9:23pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12