↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Td5 > Another Headlight problem (all groan)
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
That's an encouraging find!

Loose relays are a common problem in Defenders, and loose main and "ignition on" relays on the Puma are a copmmon cause of starting problems (usually the ones where the temp gauge goes straight to the max).

The usual solution is to gently bend the prongs of the relay into a very slight banana shape so as to improve the contact. It should be quite difficult to pull a relay out - most Defender ones seem to fall out!

One of the things I've never really understood is why LR fitted the fuse panel under the dash on the Puma facing downwards. When I bought my 2007, I was surprised to find a strip of clear adhesive tape over the top of each bank of fuses. When I pulled the tape off, all the fuses fell out, they were that loose. The tape, as far as I know, was the factory solution.
Post #378148 11th Dec 2014 5:37pm
ARC99

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Cairns Blue
@ Blackwolf.................. Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Don't make old people mad.
We don't like being old in the first place,
so it doesn't take much to Censored us off.

Richard
Post #378156 11th Dec 2014 6:06pm
barbel jim

United Kingdom 2005 Defender 90 Td5 HT Tonga Green
Sounds like a very good excuse to stay on the bank, fish all night Whistle Whistle Whistle

Cant help with the switch problem
Post #378215 11th Dec 2014 9:00pm
michaelwl

South Africa 2002 Defender 110 Td5 SW Alpine White
@ Blackwolf Yep, that's the factory solution. I still have the tape covering the fuses on my 2002 TD5 Smile 2002 110 TD5 White
1981 S3 R6 Matt Green - Now used as game viewer
2013 Discovery 4 XS
Post #378307 12th Dec 2014 7:55am
jhnstap

United Kingdom 2005 Defender 90 Td5 XS CSW Tonga Green
blackwolf wrote:
That's an encouraging find!

Loose relays are a common problem in Defenders, and loose main and "ignition on" relays on the Puma are a copmmon cause of starting problems (usually the ones where the temp gauge goes straight to the max).

The usual solution is to gently bend the prongs of the relay into a very slight banana shape so as to improve the contact. It should be quite difficult to pull a relay out - most Defender ones seem to fall out!

One of the things I've never really understood is why LR fitted the fuse panel under the dash on the Puma facing downwards. When I bought my 2007, I was surprised to find a strip of clear adhesive tape over the top of each bank of fuses. When I pulled the tape off, all the fuses fell out, they were that loose. The tape, as far as I know, was the factory solution.

Blackwolf

That is exactly what we did with male connectors,the female connection looked twisted so aligned that as well-process of elimination so will have wait and see-drove for an hour last night with no problem, again for 20 minutes this morning-Oh the joys of Land Rover ownership Very Happy I do my thing and you do yours. I am not in this world to live up to your expectations, and you are not in this world to live up to mine
Post #378320 12th Dec 2014 9:11am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12