↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Camping, Caravanning and Holidays > Caravaning advice
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
Print this entire topic · 
Thor

United Kingdom 2002 Defender 110 Td5 CSW Bonatti Grey
Caravaning advice
After a weekend away in my mates VW Transporter campervan the Mrs and I discussed getting one but came to the conclusion that a caravan would better suit us for various reasons...the main one (for me) being it's an ideal reason to keep the 110.

On the likes of auto trader I see caravans for sale from a couple hundred pounds to well beyond our budget. After some thought, I'm thinking of buying near the lower end of the price range for our first one so should it not be used enough etc it's not a massive loss of money.

We're a family of four, one of those being a big dog. So am thinking 4-5 berth for a bit of extra room and in case we take a friend along for the little one.

Any one have any advice for me they could offer regarding makes/models/things to look for/what to avoid etc etc?

Whilst long term we have a pretty healthyish budget but for a first one I'm thinking sub £3k could get us what looks like a decent starter caravan with enough beds, shower, toilet, cover and awning. I see the decor looks a little dated in them but it's something we could live with for a couple of years while we get inducted into caravan ownership.

My 110 has a NAS rear step and tow bar which in my opinion looks a little high, I imagine I'd have to look at mounting some sort of drop plate. I doubt I'm re inventing the wheel here so does anyone else tow a caravan with a NAS step?

Thanks in advance for any advice offered! Off now to look at B+E licensing as I unfortunately passed my driving test the beginning of '97 Sad Strong people are harder to kill and generally more useful!
Post #336858 9th Jun 2014 12:24pm
ARC99

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Cairns Blue
On older vans I would look out for DAMP, you can pick a tester for a small amount of cash, also check the ALL tyres for date of manufacture , 7 years is the life whether worn or not. Don't make old people mad.
We don't like being old in the first place,
so it doesn't take much to Censored us off.

Richard
Post #336942 9th Jun 2014 5:08pm
Hudwinker

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Tamar Blue
Thor - I went through a similar process but started with a VW California - fantastic van with every extra we could buy. I kept this for 18 months. It was black and got as many looks as the defender. The problem we found is that it was just not practical for a family of 5 - 3 young kids and a very small space even with the awning. Your decision to go for the caravan is the right one and I swapped the Cal for a defender and bought a Hobby 720 which can comfortable sleep 7. The problem with Hobby's is they tend to have a lot of little faults so buying one that is 5 years plus and lost all its value and been put in to full working order is the way forward. Ebay is the best option or Gumtree and you tend to find that families buy them and all the bits that go with caravan dream only to sell them because they do not use them. If you do buy second hand then I would get it fully serviced before using it to make sure it is safe. Happy caravanning.
Post #337011 9th Jun 2014 8:51pm
Thor

Thank you both for the replies. I'll order my self a damp tester soon.

Hudwinker - The California is an expensive way to start things! The transporter/caravelle is one of my favourite vehicles of all time. I had a transporter Kombi for a good few years, though someone decided they wanted it more than I did and broke into my house to get the keys Crying or Very sad

I'll have a look at the hobby vans now.

I've found a local company to do my B+E so will get that done sooner rather than later.

Will caravan prices fluctuate a little in the winter/out of season? We may miss this summer and look to buy later in the year as we have the full Disney holiday plus Caribbean cruise coming so may make sense to wait till after the mega spend.

My old 174bhp T5. No California but a tasty van to carry my bikes around.

[/URL]

Thanks again for the advise......the research continues

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green  Strong people are harder to kill and generally more useful!
Post #337279 10th Jun 2014 7:17pm
Hudwinker

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Tamar Blue
Thor

Great looking van and rock solid residuals. You can buy as many bolt on bits as you can for the defender! My old Cal below:

Click image to enlarge

I would leave the caravan purchase until the end of the season - winter as there will be bargains to be had particularly if it is a wet summer. Be careful with some of the 'dealers' as they are not regulated and may misrepresent the true.

Good luck with the caravan best advice I can offer is keep your tool kit close!
Post #337536 11th Jun 2014 7:06pm
mick

England 2010 Defender 130 Puma 2.4 HCPU Rimini Red
Coachman are about the best British van we have a Hymer as the others say get a damp meter and your best bying from a dealer to start with get it hpi checked as well
Post #337838 12th Jun 2014 10:38pm
Jake the dog

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Firenze Red
Thor we take our 10 year old daughter and 2 border collies with us in our caravan. The dogs sleep under the end bunks, on some caravans you can lift/remove the bottom bunk which gives a great sleeping area for the woofers and keeps them out of the way, really good on wet days! Worth considering!
Post #337841 12th Jun 2014 10:52pm
Thor

Great looking Cali Hudwinker!!!

Good shout Jake, I'll deffo keep the dogs sleeping arrangements in mind when viewing. Most important piece of kit will be ear plugs as my beast snores like a drunken man!!!

Found a local company to do my B+E. Will be booking that for the end of next month as soon as my licence comes back from the DVLA as my photo licence runs out tomorrow!

Cheers for the advices!!! Strong people are harder to kill and generally more useful!
Post #337948 13th Jun 2014 6:12pm
Thor

Right, B+E now passed with not even a single minor fault 😎 so the research begins.

Already had a look at insurance which doesn't seem to bad at all.

Next on the list is move a fence post as I can easily gain another 18 inches - two feet and have the father in-law knock us up some new, more secure gates at work.

I'll also be visiting the local caravan centres to see what's what.

I have a NAS step on my 110 so going to look dig out the thread on here about the Westfalia swan neck tow bar thing that lowers the tow ball height Strong people are harder to kill and generally more useful!
Post #456051 18th Sep 2015 12:21pm
Rallymental

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Santorini Black
If I can add a bit of advice?
I would be very careful of buying via ebay etc the odd caravan gets stolen about as much as defenders! When we bought our first van we found it on the caravan club website, you cant list anything or even get the sellers details without joining so it gives a little more security. Out first van also came with absolutely everything we needed to using it as it came from a family that was giving it up to use the money for something else.
As others have said, damp is a killer for vans and it isn't always obvious, look out for 'spongy' walls and bouncy floors and walk away from both. If there is damp anywhere walk away, you wont cure it once it starts unless you want to spend fortunes.
All caravan owners have their favorites and all have their pros and cons. We have always had Baileys, probably for no other reason than our first was a Bailey, but their newer vans have a clever construction technique which pretty much eliminates any possibility for damp and it makes them lighter to move about. If you cant hitch up directly and pull out from wherever you store it then maybe think about a motor mover, I know it sounds like a bit of flash gimmickry but if its at all tricky to get the van in or out, you will argue! And that can spoil the weekend/holiday it also allows you to get it in a tighter space through having more control.
Hope that helps a bit.
Post #456059 18th Sep 2015 12:55pm
Iggle piggle

United Kingdom 1989 Defender 90 V8 Petrol ST Alpine White
Here is a good place to look
http://www.caravanfinder.co.uk/

we had the same thoughts as you when we started caravaning, start off with an older one, just don't do what we did & buy the first pile of rotting wood you look at! Rolling Eyes

After 12 months & a very expensive lesson learnt we traded it in for a new Elddis Super-storm
I loved that caravan but we just were not using it enough so it had to go! Big Cry
Post #456070 18th Sep 2015 1:52pm
Rallymental

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Santorini Black
Just re-read my post, sorry didn't mean to scare you with the caravan club thing, you don't have to remain a member, unless you're into the whole socks, sandals, shorts and tie thing Rolling with laughter
Post #456074 18th Sep 2015 2:02pm
pjb

as all have said DAMP is the biggest problem for vans.

Lots of other things, but damp is the killer

You may be better buying from a dealer swindon/reading/Oxford Caravans is one we have bought from before and they damp check the vans & give a warranty but you might have to stretch the budget a bit Whistle

We caravan once a month, we really enjoy long weekends with our dogs - daughter has now grown up & "borrows" the van sometimes Very Happy

We started off with a Sprite 400 - 30+ years ago , moved to trailer tents back to caravans to motorhomes & then back to caravans.

Towed our Swift to South Wales loads of times with our 1957 Series in the 80's great memories.

Now a Swift Conqueror and would recommend Swift as a brand.

Good luck & best advice is go local the first time you go away, so you can go home & get all the things you have forgotten Whistle 2020 P300 HSE
Post #456085 18th Sep 2015 2:22pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
gilarion

Wales 2007 Defender 90 Other CSW Trident Green
As has been said check for damp, also check that the piping for gas is OK and that all electrics are fine. Obviously if you buy from a dealer they will have done all these checks for you. You can get very good deals from the lower price second hand range of caravans from caravan sellers.

Best advice I can give if you purchase a caravan is to buy an Awning for it either new or second hand as it doubles the living space and with a good fan heater the awning will keep warm in the evening. For those who like Welsh Mountains and narrow boats have a look at my videos and photos at..

http://www.youtube.com/user/conwy1
Post #456093 18th Sep 2015 2:58pm
CatherineF

United Kingdom 
Rallymental wrote:
Just re-read my post, sorry didn't mean to scare you with the caravan club thing, you don't have to remain a member, unless you're into the whole socks, sandals, shorts and tie thing Rolling with laughter

I'm a member of the caravan club Surprised 2015 Audi Q3 Quattro S Line Plus 184 TDI Stronic
2010 90 SMC Over Land Nero Edition - Santorini Black Metallic (Now Departed)
Post #456113 18th Sep 2015 4:34pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>