United Kingdom 
QED Whistle

Sorry Wink
Post #456125 18th Sep 2015 5:08pm
Rallymental

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Santorini Black
^^^^^^^^^
Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter
Sorry Catherine, I used to be a member as well, but you have to admit there are some odd people in it???
you must have noticed the socks, sandals, long shorts and tie? More often than not accompanied by a beard, they are also usually single Laughing

But then maybe not so odd, have you been to a Land Rover show.........................
Post #456458 20th Sep 2015 12:15am
CatherineF

United Kingdom 
Haha funnily enough I've not seen this breed as yet on a site. We've only been members since spring so they were probably still hibernating Smile

We've booked to go to Cirencester for new year and I plan on BBQing on new years day for a giggle. 2015 Audi Q3 Quattro S Line Plus 184 TDI Stronic
2010 90 SMC Over Land Nero Edition - Santorini Black Metallic (Now Departed)

Last edited by CatherineF on 20th Sep 2015 12:13pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #456513 20th Sep 2015 10:39am
Tiger

2004 Defender 110 Td5 CSW Java Black
We really didn't want a Caravan, but a tent was too much work, a Motorhome / Camper wouldn't be practical (plus we'd have to get rid of the 110 probably)

A tent is my 1st choice but with young kids it's hard work pitching and breaking camp, also it's hot sometimes in a tent. We also were at the point of needing a trailer to carry it all.

A VW camper van would be cool but too small and we tend to use the tent as a basecamp on holidays and go off so if it was our only transport a bit of a pain, a motorhome would be too big with the same issues.

When we are on holiday we live outside so this seems to make sense of us 2adults, 2kids + 1 dog, it's basic, a place to sleep but it's quick, can be left behind, has a toilet, a fridge and can carry 4 bikes.

It has no net curtains or brown twee fabric Thumbs Up

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

We also use a 'tent like' inflatable side awning

Click image to enlarge
Post #456514 20th Sep 2015 11:02am
gilarion

Wales 2007 Defender 90 Other CSW Trident Green
Rallymental wrote:
^^^^^^^^^
Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter
but you have to admit there are some odd people in it???
you must have noticed the socks, sandals, long shorts and tie? More often than not accompanied by a beard, they are also usually single Laughing

You are thinking of the Caravan and Camping club Laughing Very odd lot in that club Whistle

The Caravan club is much more select Thumbs Up For those who like Welsh Mountains and narrow boats have a look at my videos and photos at..

http://www.youtube.com/user/conwy1
Post #456538 20th Sep 2015 1:27pm
Thor

United Kingdom 2002 Defender 110 Td5 CSW Bonatti Grey
Thanks for all the replies, all points noted and will be thrown in the mix.

Tiger, yours looks lovely and very much out of my budget!

For the the clubs, I'm all about having a beard. Not a neat, groomed caravaners beard but one considerably more Viking in appearance.....mainly to annoy the woman Twisted Evil but there's never an acceptable time for sandals and crocs!

I had a walk around Oxford and Thame caravan centres today to get hands on experience. Both the Mrs and I really liked the Swift Charisma 570 and Avondale Dart 556. The Swift slightly won it for me due to being able to turn of the bunks into bike storage (for my new MTB Whistle ). The lay out just seems to fit, with the option of more beds than we'd originally thought about for the daughters friends who will no doubt be joining us.

Having a look on line and there seems to be a couple newer, in better/nice condition inside , with some nice extras like a weaning, winter cover etc and for a bit less money (£1500 or so less). Strong people are harder to kill and generally more useful!
Post #456655 20th Sep 2015 9:53pm
derbywill

England 2005 Defender 90 Td5 XS CSW Java Black
We bought our first van last year a 2001 Swift Challenger Fixed bed, that was the main requirement as we didn't want to be setting up a bed every night. Ours is a 4 birth but it's only for the 2 of us and it suits us well, but would be cramped if there was 4.
Once you have purchased the van the next big expense comes buying the gas bottles, Aqua rolls etc as that can set you back some, but least when you have them you can transfer to your next van.
We bought ours from a dealer which I'm glad we did because they showed us how to use everything and fitted new tyres and checked everything over, I must admit when we first went out, it was a bit of a learning curve but after a couple of times out you'll get used to it.
We tend to do a few Steam Rallies with ours so we bought a solar panel which can keep us running without mains for nearly a week! That's with using the shower and watching TV !
Hope this helps
Will 2005 90 XS
1954 86'' Series 1 tilt
Post #456723 21st Sep 2015 8:53am
Rallymental

Thor, Viking beards =good, especially if you can light it and make it smoulder in an Edward Teach style to frighten the kids.
I'm afraid though I believe Crocs to be an almost essential piece of modern caravan equipment, being able to be left out in the rain, easily slipped on to emergency walk the dog when half asleep, being able to keep them on in the shower and to walk back to the van without doing the squeaky walk in flip flops Tha then for no apparent reason twist as you slip and garrotte your big toe, of course, for men they should only be worn in suitable man colours like navy blue, black or olive green, never worn outside of the campsite and never, never regardless of the reason with socks (unless you are Dutch in which case all the above rules are void) Rolling with laughter
Post #456771 21st Sep 2015 11:47am
Thor

Rallymental, the holes in crocs......are there to allow your dignity to seep out! I'll risk injury and even death in my Reef flip flops thanks!!

No more Croc talk on my thread please!!! lol Twisted Evil Strong people are harder to kill and generally more useful!
Post #456841 21st Sep 2015 4:23pm
Tiger

2004 Defender 110 Td5 CSW Java Black
Quote:
Tiger, yours looks lovely and very much out of my budget!

It wasn't expensive, it's very very basic.
Post #456859 21st Sep 2015 5:10pm
Rallymental

Thor wrote:
Rallymental, the holes in crocs......are there to allow your dignity to seep out! I'll risk injury and even death in my Reef flip flops thanks!!

No more Croc talk on my thread please!!! lol Twisted Evil

Rolling with laughter Laughing Rolling with laughter Ok ok fair one!
Post #456873 21st Sep 2015 6:17pm
Rallymental

Tiger, what make/model is that then?
Post #456899 21st Sep 2015 7:29pm
Thor

Pulling up an old thread....Today I bought my first caravan.

Thanks again for your advice and input, it lead me to seriously geeky Internet research sessions!!!

I've bought a 2009 Sterling Europa 540. The same layout as the the Swift Charisma I was looking at, basically the same van. Going against some of the advice on here I bought privately as it seems that caravan centres/dealers were asking to much.

For example a caravan canter near me has a 2006 Sterling Europa 540 up for £8250. I stopped there on a work trip chatted with the guy there and wouldn't budge on the price, but would throw in a free starter pack (hook up cable, toilet cassette etc) with 6 month warranty.

My 2009 one has all the elec hook up including 3 pin adapter, French adapter, 2 clean water containers, grey water, toilet cassette, Isabella awning, porch awning, wheel lock, hitch lock, CRIS registered, TV/DVD player and a motor mover as well as lots of bits I've forgotten about, all, in the end for £7250. Spent a good few hours with the chap showing me it all working, and how to work it, hints and tips etc. Checked it for damp and it was fine, he had it stored when not in use. One owner from new, serviced annually with a 'service history book'.

I'm genuinely chuffed, and it towed no issues at all, other than having to come out of the GKN overdrive on one hill. The motor mover is epic!!! Down the side of my house on the gravel and on the back driveway, tow bar against the garage, no sweat at all.

I got home in the dark so the obligatory photos at the earliest oppertunity. Strong people are harder to kill and generally more useful!
Post #506831 21st Feb 2016 10:25pm
RoddyK05

Scotland 2004 Defender 90 Td5 SW Yellow
Thor, good on you getting your 'van at last, you will enjoy it. Seems a very good price you paid, our old 'van that we traded in was being sold by the dealer for a fiver under 6 grand - and that was a 2004 Sterling 490. We have to wait until April or so for our new one to be built/delivered then it's all systems go again. As well as holidays, we also stayed in the caravan - which we keep beside the house - for about 6 weeks while we got some major work done to the house, which saved our bacon as I'm sure it would have cost a few bob to rent somewhere suitable while we were ousted. I used to be a member of one of the clubs, but quite happily 'single' now after realising that we were not staying on enough of 'their' sites to make the discounts etc worth the price of membership. Happy towing and many happy holidays.
Post #506844 21st Feb 2016 10:54pm
Striker

Click image to enlarge

What caravan Is it? I suspect it's made in Europe. We've had burstner and tec caravans in the past and they are very well put together. Cheers Andy

Never Knowingly Understood
Post #506893 22nd Feb 2016 9:04am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>