↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Finance & Insurance > Which Insurance company
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Print this entire topic · 
TACK

Steve-d, spoke to 2 offices in essex and declined by both, they use the same underwriters i found out Big Cry
Post #28418 30th Mar 2010 8:57am
Knot Yet

England 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
Tack - no sorry that's where it differs - no mods and we off road using the estate vehicles so no need to insure for it.

However the benefit of Swiftcover is that its all online so you can play around with each element and see what its costing you -sorry I cant help further

J Defender 110 Puma Utility XS
Post #28427 30th Mar 2010 9:57am
heapster

Have a crack at Admiral - great value on the multicar policy and you can play around with each car on excess etc.
Post #28441 30th Mar 2010 12:17pm
TACK

Guys trying these companies you are suggesting but they are all saying they do not insure for green laning, I assume you are not declaring it? Rolling Eyes
Post #28445 30th Mar 2010 12:53pm
K9F

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
Tack,

Don't get tied up in the concerns of anyone elses insurance and what they are or are not declaring, 'if the Censored hits the proverbial' it's their worry not yours! Thumbs Up

Just concentrate on obtaining a policy for your needs. To get off-roading and green laning plus with six points and the extras you are trying to declare I would not expect you to have much of a choice or get 'bargain of the century!'

Who exactly at this moment in time will give you insurance?

Get a poll up we'll have a vote! Dog Thumbs Up Dog If you go through life with your head in the sand....all people will see is an ar5e!!

Treat every day as if it is your last....one day you will be right!!
Post #28446 30th Mar 2010 1:33pm
TACK

yeah..... i know Confused , cant beleive how crappy this is, no insurance company is concerned about the points, just the greenlaning cover.

these are the people than can insure me, Adrian Flux..............................thats it. oh and it went up to £754 over night Banging Head

spoke to nfu up north waiting for them to come back, as they are trying to convice their underwriters. at the moment the insurance ran out lunch time. so unless nfu comes up trumps i will be £754 lighter by the end of the day. but just as you said, i will have the right cover Smile
Post #28447 30th Mar 2010 1:47pm
AndrewS

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 130 Puma 2.2 SW Rimini Red
Tack why are you requesting greenlane cover? A greenlane is a legal right of way so there is no reason to specify it Thumbs Up As far as I can see this would be the same as asking for Motorway cover or B road cover Thumbs Up 130's have feeling's as well you know Smile
Post #28448 30th Mar 2010 2:03pm
markalpha

England 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Santorini Black
Tack NFU North Walsham Office told me I was covered where ever I drove it. Off road on foresty land was what I needed and they had no problems last time I spoke to them!
Post #28452 30th Mar 2010 2:29pm
heapster

AndrewS wrote:
Tack why are you requesting greenlane cover? A greenlane is a legal right of way so there is no reason to specify it Thumbs Up As far as I can see this would be the same as asking for Motorway cover or B road cover Thumbs Up

That's how I understood it - as long motor vehicles are allowed to be there by the local regs then you're on a valid public highway and will be covered. Just had a flick through the NFU policy document and there is no carveout for non-maintained rights of way (although other policies may do so). I suspect that most insurers believe that "greenlaning" to be completely off-road - rather than just driving down unmaintained rights of way.
Post #28465 30th Mar 2010 3:20pm
TACK

Andy, think i have made a rod for my own back and should have just carried on and never said anything to my insurer, the problem arose when i told tesco my current/now previous insurer, I had a winch and have changed the wheels and tyres from standard. This caused them to say we do not cover winches as we do not cover off roading. When i explained i do not do off road by green laning and what the winch was for, this caused the upset. Why do you need wider tyre questions etc.

I then started to look elsewhere and thought i better get myself suitably covered. Every insurance company I have spoken to deem's green laning as off roading, despite what anyone says, 4 branch's of the NFU have not even heard of the term green laning Question

Little stuff now cos I have spoken to every insurance company on the planet, so they all have my deatils. Do you declare you winch and mods Andy Question Chaces are like alot of people on here you have commercial cover for your business for your vehicles.

I challenged Tesco so much on the issue the guy i spoke to today said there has been a blocker on their system so i cant get insured with them, not just the defner, but any vehicle. he said there is a note 'DO NOT INSURE THIS CUSTOMER' Shocked Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter bit harsh Exclamation
Post #28469 30th Mar 2010 3:44pm
K9F

Tack,

Certain insurers are ignorant and have carte blanche reasons for refusal of insurance. Quite often due to their own ignorance there is no reasoning with them either - "Rules are rules!" They state. If you go to one of the comparison sites and request insurance on your vehicle with no extras it comes up with a myriad of insurers - go back to vehicle details and then fit say a winch or A bars and see how many drop off that same list. I've just been through it all myself!
Banging Head
For example NFU undewriters 'will not insure anyone in HM Forces or if you work on an airfield!' Censored
Banging Head
Churchill will not insure (as many others) if you have an A-Bar fitted irrespective of hard/soft types.
Banging Head
I wanted everything above board and wanted to declare everything - under these circumstances for me Adrian Flux were the only insurers that ticked all the right boxes allbeit a little more than I could have got it for if I had been a little clandestine with the facts or not wanted off-road cover. As with everything "you get what you pay for!" Anybody can get cheap insurance by the non-declaration of extras, invariably it is those that bleat the loudest when they find that their insurance is null and void or their pride and joy is carted off with all their extras on and no remuneration for them in the event of a write off.

Happy hunting and good luck! Let us know your final decision! Thumbs Up If you go through life with your head in the sand....all people will see is an ar5e!!

Post #28478 30th Mar 2010 4:18pm
TACK

K9F, went with Adrian Flux in the end, what a Censored ing nightmare. Induced by myself most probably Sad the world wide web could give me no right or wrong on the issue of insurance and green laning.

All the info I could find was statements of what Green Laning is, not a definative answer to yes or no or right or wrong. I am sure i am not the first to h this dlilema nor the last Confused

Now it is done, I might free up some defender2.net forum time and research this issue and see if I can get a proper answer on interpretation of the law.

If a guy on a moped is driving on a gravel track (byway) and the police stop him, they check he has the normal stuff, i.e. tax, insurance, mot. If he has that he is free to play, do they look any further into his insurance to see if he is cover for green laning/off roading? I don't think so. But what would happen if he killed him self or hit another person on it, would his insurance pay out?

Funny one, I think legally you ok with standard insurance, maybe not ok in the insurance companies eyes Exclamation

I am intrested in it anyway as either I now have the right policy or I just spanked a load of doh which I could have spent on mods and strippers Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter

Thumbs Up
Post #28488 30th Mar 2010 6:46pm
K9F

Another perspective: Should the police stop you or carry out a check using ANPR or whatever they call it, it checks MOT, insurance and tax! The basic fact that you may have told a pack of lies to possibly obtain cheap insurance that is not necessarily worth the paper it is written on is neither here nor there! Until of course something goes 'Pete Tong!' At least you should be able to sleep soundly at the wheel knowing you're covered!
Thumbs Up If you go through life with your head in the sand....all people will see is an ar5e!!

Post #28497 30th Mar 2010 7:26pm
Knot Yet

England 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
Tack - glad you've got it sorted Thumbs Up Defender 110 Puma Utility XS
Post #28504 30th Mar 2010 7:49pm
TACK

Thanks guys for your posts and Pm's over the last couple of days, without you and a pocket full of cash I wouldn't be in this mess in the first place, come back D3 Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter
Post #28523 30th Mar 2010 11:34pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>