↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Wheels & Tyres > Wheel arch extensions, are protruding wheels / tyres policed
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
pob1968

Thanks, always good to look to the positive Big Cry
I told my insurance I have new wheels so that bit is not a concern, lets face it show me a standard Defender, everyone changes stuff. 110 Hardtop
Post #332859 22nd May 2014 8:42pm
Leenorthants

United Kingdom 
ickle wrote:
Why would you get three points per corner? As long as the tyres are legal (tread depth / damage/ load rating / speed rating etc) there isn't a problem with the tyres at all.

You can't get points for defective wheel arches unless they're sharpened to razors and likely to cause injury to a pedestrian!

Keith

If your tyres protrude too far, you will get pulled Confused
Post #332861 22nd May 2014 8:46pm
ickle

France 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 CSW Alpine White
If you've got Carlos Fandango wheels and tyres fitted and the boys in blue want an excuse to pull you over, that's probably all they need, and if you give them a load of attitude they may quite rightly prosecute for an unroadworthy (?) vehicle.

But you won't get three points per corner if the tyres are good and as long as you're sensible with tyre choice & are not driving like you stole it, you're unlikely to ever get pulled.
Post #332866 22nd May 2014 9:02pm
K9F

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
Laughing

Leenorthants wrote:
If your tyres protrude too far, you will get pulled Confused

Interesting comment....Care to quantify exactly how far is 'too far?' Opinions and perceptions of this distance would vary considerably from person to person I think.

ickle wrote:
If you've got Carlos Fandango wheels and tyres fitted and the boys in blue want an excuse to pull you over,

Only 'tug' I ever have are the self-instigated ones. Shocked Even when I had an altercation with a Citroen my saving grace were the protruding tyres that prevented any damage to the bodywork as I ripped off his front offside wing. The Police were more interested in chatting amicably about my pride and joy and how good it looked rather than issues with the wheel tyre combo.

Amusing read if you're remotely interested.....

http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic4297.html?highlight=citroen

No spacers!

Click image to enlarge
 If you go through life with your head in the sand....all people will see is an ar5e!!

Treat every day as if it is your last....one day you will be right!!
Post #332919 23rd May 2014 12:07am
pob1968

I think there is a bit of drama here, I am not worried now people have posted info and photos of their Landy's Smile I am legal in so much as I rang my insurance company, they said as long as the wheels are the same size I am fine, I said they were the same diameter. They never mentioned tyre width or offset or tyre type, I never mentioned it either. As far as police interest I think if I did get asked to rectify it I would quickly buy a set of extended wheel aches and fit those. My mate is a copper and I spoke with him the other day when he came round for a cup of tea and he just said "your truck looks great, you will have to take me for a play in the mud" Smile 110 Hardtop
Post #332975 23rd May 2014 10:16am
K9F

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
'Wider tyres and wider wheels' are as they are detailed on my policy. There were no implications regarding a price hike due to the declaration and no interest in sizing/rolling radius.
There will always be those that will pour scoff and scorn on ideas and intended modifications. Best not to ask for opinion, get on with it, and then as long as it's not too radical react to anything that may occur as a result. Fekete got pulled for his wheels and was 'advised' to do something about it which he did so no real drama!

fekete wrote:
.........the regs say you can have 30mm sticking out ?..... I have been pulled and told to get extended wheel arches.....Which i have got but not fitted yet.....they are still in the back of the landy ready for my next pull Whistle...mine stick out about 75mm Mr. Green

http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic5309.h...extensions

Here are the guidelines.....

http://eur-lex.europa.eu/LexUriServ/LexUri...49:EN:HTML If you go through life with your head in the sand....all people will see is an ar5e!!

Treat every day as if it is your last....one day you will be right!!
Post #332977 23rd May 2014 10:40am
What puddle?

United Kingdom 
The only thing I would be concerned about is the insurance company. When I have been in the same situation I have kept emails and even printed them out. Believe me, it is vital to be honest with them. Tell them EXACTLY what you have and get them to acknowledge the email or phone call. I have said this before, both my sister-in-law and niece work for a motor insurance firm and they tell me stories of the company bailing out of claims. Writing off your pride and joy, then finding they won't pay out is just FAR too risky. It might add £50 to your policy, so what? Now left.
Post #333580 25th May 2014 9:20pm
martinfiattech

England 
From an mot tester`s point of view we can`t fail it, it`s not in the reason for rejection list.
We can fail it if it fouls the body, brakes, ect.
It is listed in the none component manual advisory section. (iirc)
However the tester is well within there rights to refuse to test said vehicle, I already have. There is nothing you can do about this but go to another site. After all it`s there licence and the testing station`s rating within vosa to be considered. Would you risk your job ???
If I myself get what I think is a dodgy vehicle, I take photos of it and keep them for later court use, this has saved my ass twice so far, we counter suied said customer and won !!
I don`t think he saw that one coming his face in court when the video played was fantastic he got up and walked out !!!!

The police can and will pull you. then you may have to have it re mot`ed. so keep your old wheels and tyres, cat, ect... Excuse the spelling I`am better with spanners and wires.
Post #333884 27th May 2014 11:08am
steveyorks

England 1993 Defender 90 200 Tdi CSW Barolo Black
Its not something I would have chosen to get involved with when I was policing. As you have found the law is not easy to understand on this issue and a certain amount of subjectivity is involved. I might have done some research if I stopped you and you were particularly unpleasant and I felt it was worth the hassle as you deserved the penalty. I would say that the worst you would get would be a rectification notice resulting in some replacement wheels before your trip to the MOT station to get yourr form stamped but Id hazard a guess you will drive around un molested for many years.
Post #346345 19th Jul 2014 9:14pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12