↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Shaggydogs Running Restoration
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 16 of 19 <123 ... 1516 171819>
Print this entire topic · 
Rosco

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Montalcino Red
Still scratching my head at the obvious mistake 2007 - Stornoway Grey 90 XS SW - Gone
2002 - Black Discovery II - Gone
2014 - Montalcino Red 110 XS SW
Post #580489 25th Nov 2016 8:44pm
Mash

Guernsey 1998 Defender 90 300 Tdi HT Nato Green
All I can see is the deep freeze with some extra paint on Rolling with laughter
It's not that they are the later cappings and you need the eariles? 90 wolf - Jasmin http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic39408.html
90 V8 - Maggie http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic42564.html
110 TD5 - Buggsy http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic59029.html
52HG25 lightweight https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic72342.html
D3 Hse - Fiona
Capri 2l S - Anna

Think I might have a problem............
Post #580503 25th Nov 2016 9:17pm
mk1collector

England 2004 Defender 110 Td5 CSW Bonatti Grey
Didn't drill the holes for the cappings? And didn't t wash the galved bits before painting. Ray
My build thread
http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic17615.html
Post #580509 25th Nov 2016 9:34pm
shaggydog

United Kingdom 1991 Defender 110 200 Tdi USW Arles Blue
Well Done Mash!

Yes I had indeed bought the later style capping's for the corners. This meant I had to drill my own screw holes for the lights but not the end of the world.

As for the T-wash- I was advised to use a good quality Acid Etch primer which I have done. I did state the case should I T-wash it to which the response was "no need if your using etch primer, it does the same thing"
If there is any issues it will be going back to them to be sorted Rolling Eyes

Anyway, as this coat is only a protective (and indicative) coat it doesn't have to be perfect as it will be rubbed back at some point in the next 6-8 weeks.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

There we go! ready to fit.

The next few pictures are a bit sporadic as I only had 24hrs to get it done so we had to keep the pace up.

Click image to enlarge

I undid the windscreen, top of the B posts and the rear mounts and picked up the roof and slid it forward. This was then sat on axle stands in the tub with the windscreen resting on the spare wheel. Not elegant, but it worked! The old cappings were then removed by drilling out the old rivets and then pulling them apart. Note how the underneath is not painted. But sort of is? I will discuss this in a separate thread!

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

The cappings were then slowly replaced, which involved mostly panel beating and slightly aligning the holes. There was a foam sticky strip which was of course replaced to separate the Steel cappings from the Aluminium body, it also acts as some (minor) form of seal to keep moisture out. Sadly, although we got the roof off, back door off, old cappings off, new ones on, roof back on, back door back on daylight was fading and the frost was creeping in so Work was adjourned for the evening.

Click image to enlarge

The door was rehung and required the holes to be moved a bit in order for it all to align properly. Overall only 8 holes had to be created so I would say that is a win! The next day saw the lights re fitted (took over 2 hours in itself due to the spaghetti wiring), the roof lining put back in, the door seals re-fitted and all the other little odds and sods which come with it.

Slowly but surely I reversed out the garage and into the daylight.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

A very subtle difference but to me its the world! Future proofed the body for the next 10 years at least!

Tomorrow she will be handed over to the people doing the respray. This will be the longest I have ever been without her and I am terrified.

Me and my truck have been through some really tough times together, she is as much an extension of me as my hands are. So the thought of handing her over to people who damaged the paint to begin with doesn't fill me with joy.

I love my truck. I hope I get something decent in the mean time. Difficult times ahead Sad Running Restoration Thread http://www.defender2.net/forum/post323197.html#323197

Self confessed mileage hunter Very Happy
Post #581755 30th Nov 2016 9:20pm
Pickles

Australia 2013 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 CSW Keswick Green
TOP job Shaggy, I can see there's some real love & affection in the work that you're doing on your vehicle.
Regards, Pickles.
Post #581765 30th Nov 2016 9:35pm
shaggydog

Thanks Pickles.

I love my truck I really do, I'm not looking forward to tomorrow. Big Cry Running Restoration Thread http://www.defender2.net/forum/post323197.html#323197

Post #581775 30th Nov 2016 10:01pm
bm52

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Havana
is it about 4 or so years since you got the 110?
I remember often seeing fettling in your drive.
Post #581776 30th Nov 2016 10:09pm
Rosco

Shaggy, top work. Thumbs Up

I don't think any of us like being parted from our beloved trucks, but she'll be back before you know it, and I doubt the culprits of the original damage will be allowed anywhere near your pride and joy.

Let's just hope what ever they give you to keep you mobile in the meantime turns your head too much 2007 - Stornoway Grey 90 XS SW - Gone
Post #581782 30th Nov 2016 10:29pm
shaggydog

I got her via someone but pretty much direct from Environment Agency in May 2011 so best part of 5 years now. She had 124k on her and lots of rotten bits.

In that time I have done:
Spare wheel moved to Bonnet.
New timing belt
New wheels and tyres (replaced steels with modulars and Mastercraft Coursair mt 265/75/16)
New wipac crystal lights
Rear speakers installed
Removed rear bench seats
Removed Center seat and replaced with Cubbybox, radio and CB
New Mudflaps
New suspension (twice- once with 2" lift, second back to standard)
New rear crossmember
Swapped Mastercrafts for General Grabber At2's 265/75/16
New side steps
New Seat foams in front
Dog guard fitted
Cubby box removed, cb radio removed, center seat reinstated
Rear work lamp fitted
Swapped to Wolfs and 255/85/16 BFG Km2's (didn't get on very well) Swapped back to GG At2's
Roof insulated
Red bison loom
Rear utility conversion
Swapped Wheels for
Bulkhead repaired
Various seals and odds and sods.
New front UJ's
New Cylinder Head
New roof rack (well it came with a Td5 but that lasted 6 months)
New timing belt (again)
New cappings
New paint - (Hopefully!)
and thats just what I can think off off the top of my head

She now has 190k on her, 20k of those being since January this year. She pulls strong, starts on a quarter of a revolution, regularly returns 32.57mpg and is the best damn truck I could have ever asked for.

Tomorrow is going to hurt Neutral Running Restoration Thread http://www.defender2.net/forum/post323197.html#323197

Post #581785 30th Nov 2016 10:39pm
shaggydog

Rosco, I hope so! I hope they give me something useful at least!
Have a horrible feeling it will be a ford festa or something equally unhelpful and small and petrol.

The only thing they could give me which would turn my head would be a Ford F250 or a Doge ram Cummins and I think I am 99.99% certain they wont be giving me ether of them so I am fine.

The real kick in the teeth was to be "invited" down to there "Black Friday" event where I could get x amount off the new Discovery Sport or Range Rover Sport if I signed up to finance on the day.

I politely declined as they no longer have any commercial vehicles, to which the reply was "oh no we don't do lorries, only cars"

Rolling Eyes Running Restoration Thread http://www.defender2.net/forum/post323197.html#323197

Post #581789 30th Nov 2016 10:47pm
Rosco

It's amazing how out of touch some dealers are with their customers.

I've just handed mine over to the dealers to sort my heating issue. The service manager/advisor only lives round the corner so drops out the courtesy car on his way home, taking mine in the following morning. Great service as it saves me the 50 mile round trip.

However this evening he's dropped off a full fat disco, and expressly sorted the one with the full blown rear media system for the kids. I was forced to go out and see how this worked, quality check it, etc. Tomorrow I'll have to tell the kids our Land Rover isn't here Whistle Rolling with laughter

p.s. Polar Expressis pretty epic wherever it's watched 2007 - Stornoway Grey 90 XS SW - Gone
Post #581802 30th Nov 2016 11:24pm
BuckBlu110

United Kingdom 1994 Defender 110 BMW M57 3.0 Diesel CSW Buckingham Blue
Last year, I had mine driven into by a blind biddy, bent the front bumper and damaged the drivers side wing in the process, got on to the blower to the insurance who then put me in touch with the garage that was doing the repair, turned out they were a Mercedes dealership, I asked what the courtesy car was hoping maybe that I might get something similar, only to be told that they only had a 1.4 petrol corsa. I made it clear that I would be needing a vehicle that I could whack bales and feed and the odd soggy dog in it hoping that they might change their mind, but was given the reply that as long as it was in one piece and had the same amount of fuel in that it had when I picked it up, they didn't care! Shocked
Turns out I barely used the damn thing and pinched the old mans td5 for a week instead Rolling Eyes I couldn't bring myself to do what I threatened to do to it. Too small anyway. The dog would have hated it.
Any way, the garage did a fantastic job and got it better than before the accident.

It'll be fine shaggy, all those hours of hard work will pay off when you get her back looking good as new Thumbs Up
Post #581824 1st Dec 2016 12:50am
shaggydog

Erugh. 1.4 Petrol Corsa. Terrifying thought Shocked Thud Thud

I know, I hope its fine.

I have put in the hard work, held up my end of the agreement. They need to honour there end. They have had 3 months to organise it. Rolling Eyes Running Restoration Thread http://www.defender2.net/forum/post323197.html#323197

Post #581826 1st Dec 2016 1:05am
L110CDL

England 
My fingers are crossed for you shaggy Thumbs Up 1996 Golf Blue 300Tdi 110 Pick up. Keeper.

Clayton.
Post #582028 1st Dec 2016 10:49pm
shaggydog

Bit of a let down but got a brighter ending!

With tremendous trepidation I handed over the keys to my beloved truck stuffed to the roof with new Galv Doors, New Galv Front bumper, Wheel arch spats (Courtesy of the ultimate gentleman Dave H) ready to go off.

I have a new chap on the case who loves working on his motorbikes and loves old defenders which you can work on and actually get used! Much better contact and a much better feeling he will be on the case!

I waved goodbye to her with a lump in my throat and will now not see her again until February Big Cry

I was handed a set of keys to a Jaguar XF R-Sport which is very different to what I am used to Shocked The upside being I have to give it back on Saturday so I can pick up a Defender on Monday which is fantastic Very Happy Running Restoration Thread http://www.defender2.net/forum/post323197.html#323197

Post #582185 2nd Dec 2016 3:52pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 16 of 19 <123 ... 1516 171819>