↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Shaggydogs Running Restoration
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 19 <123 ... 171819>
Print this entire topic · 
shaggydog

United Kingdom 1991 Defender 110 200 Tdi USW Arles Blue
Time to move on
Well, today I think the decision was pretty much made for me today to sell and buy a newer one.

I know everyone is probably bored of my flipping and flopping between buy new or rebuild old.

However, 1 workshop has declined to quote for replacing my bulkhead on the basis of it will take too long in there workshop and be uneconomical (never a good sign). Another has come back and said it will be £5000, ex vat to start with, but could potentially spiral upwards to £10k.

As such, I'm out. I love her to pieces, but I cannot justify that sort of expense.

If I had the time or the facility I would do it myself, but currently I'm not in that position.

So shortly she will be appearing in the for sale section and I will be looking for something a bit newer.

Click image to enlarge
Post #334209 28th May 2014 6:39pm
Retroanaconda

Scotland 
£5,000 to change a bulkhead!? Is it gold plated or something!?

It's no more than a weekend's work, especially in a fully fitted out workshop with access to parts etc.
Post #334232 28th May 2014 7:33pm
g-mack

United Kingdom 
seems a bit expensive that! would be a shame for you to sell if you really dont want to! i have a sneaky suspicion your after something newer! lol Cool My 109 thread

my youtube channel
Post #334235 28th May 2014 7:37pm
shaggydog

Quote:
£5,000 to change a bulkhead!? Is it gold plated or something!?

It's no more than a weekend's work, especially in a fully fitted out workshop with access to parts etc.

According to the workshop I spoke to they can only get TD5 bulkheads in a condition they would be happy to fit and they need a lot of work to be adapted to fit. Lots of holes in the wrong places, lots of square tabs missing which need to be cut for plastic clips to go in. As well as adapting the bell transmission tunnel, and modifying the wiper mechanism. and that's after you have stripped the wings, windscreen, dashboard, wiring, assuming all the fixings come out cleanly (23 years old and seized tight).

If I had the time, the money and the facility's I would be all over it and doing it myself but I just can't commit to it at the moment which is why I am being forced to out source it.

Quote:
seems a bit expensive that! would be a shame for you to sell if you really dont want to! I have a sneaky suspicion your after something newer!

It does seem expensive to me, but given the amount of work and potential for bits to break or fail or be found to be damaged as well I think it is fair for the amount of work and hassle it is. Yes I would love to keep her but as you have picked up there have been times lately where it would have been nice to have a newer one.
Post #334269 28th May 2014 9:49pm
shaggydog

Well, given my last post you may be forgiven for wandering why I am getting quotes done, well......

Looking around near me I could not find a Td5 or TDCI 110 of a spec I was happy with or in a condition I wanted.
I made a concious decision that if I am going to sell up I may as well replace it with exactly what I want- otherwise I will never be happy. As such every vehicle I looked at ether looked nice but had some issues underneath, was the wrong colour, or had exactly the same issues I have now, but 10k more expensive to buy! This combined insurance increases and all the hassle of selling my 110 and loans and it just got to complicated.

In the end, it came down to money and heart. I would need to get a loan of about £15k to by the sort of vehicle I want. Compared to a £7k loan to get my 110 to exactly the way I want it, plus I get to keep the vehicle I love.

So out came a copy of LRO and in the back I started knocking on doors with my phone. I got in contact with:

Harwoods Tonbridge
The Man For Land Rover - thatched garage
RCV
Black Paw 4x4
Gigglepin
Foley Special Vehicles

Verdict?

Harwoods Tonbridge,
Speaking to Jamie who has always done me well we quickly decided that Harwoods wouldn't be able to quote competitively however was happy to continue with support and parts, nothing ventured- nothing gained

The Man For Land Rovers- Thatched Garage
Spoke to Ben, very helpful chap who knew what he was talking about. Haven't been down to see them yet but they have given me a good "over the phone" quote will be interesting to see how it compares when I visit.

RCV
Having quoted to do the bulkhead patch have said they don't have the workshop time to carry out a full bulkhead swap as well as other jobs, which is fair enough and I admire there honesty if it is a little inconvenient. They did however highly recommend Black Paw 4x4 and passed my details onto them after asking permission to do so, which is always the sign of a good company Thumbs Up

Black Paw 4x4
Spoke to Martin who spent a long phone call with me going through exactly what it was that I wanted and what I would be using it for. I have sent off some photos to him as York is a long way to go for a hours appointment however given the quality and very competitive quote he supplied it might be worth a trundle up to York to have a visit and bolt it down a bit tighter.

Gigglepin
Having heard many very good recommendations about them and there work I was disappointed when they charged me £60 for a Vehicle inspection, and then even more disappointed when this inspection turned up with a 7 bullet pointed, single sentence list on a piece of A4 paper which told me what I could have told them. They are yet to provide me with a quote having originally taken my 110 to them on the 21st of May. Not overly impressed.

Foley Special Vehicles
Spoke to the man himself, Paul Foley who spent a hour and a half with me really making sure he understood what I wanted from the rebuild work and what I used it for and what type of work I expected. Had a good nose round poking and prodding and took it on a test drive with me and proclaimed it to be a Good sound example which was defiantly worth the investment, one of the better 200 Tdi's he has driven given its age. However he did observe that it was a very difficult decision with how far to take it. he agreed that yes it could be a cut the top of the bulkhead and weld in a new one but would only last 5 years before deteriorating again. The middle doors are a definite concern however he did point out (unbeknown to me) that my front passenger door has already been replaced once, but already was perforated with rust and has aluminium corrosion already well set in. This combined with a few other points which were pointed out to me which others had failed to do. At the end of the meeting we had decided on doing a expensive rebuild list, which includes, new bulkhead, new doors, new roof, new tub cappings, utility conversion, new windscreen hinges, and respray as well as other small bits. Also quoting for a budget rebuild which includes patch bulkhead, patch repair doors, utility conversion, new cappings, and a machine polish. I look forward to the quote email on Monday morning.

Its all getting very interesting and things are looking up.
Post #336462 7th Jun 2014 6:32pm
Go Beyond

United Kingdom 
Borrow £25k and come and collect my 130 ...
Post #336466 7th Jun 2014 6:36pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
g-mack

United Kingdom 
foley's really do seem good. i would expect to be paying a premium for a company with this reputation. if you can get new doors bulkhead resray etc for 7k ish your gonna have a very nice tdi!!!!! My 109 thread

my youtube channel
Post #336468 7th Jun 2014 6:49pm
shaggydog

Now see that's not fair Matt, I had made my decision Neutral But that's a hell of an offer Razz

Though could pop down tomorrow if your free, or after work during the week?

Need to compare notes on some things.

Also by sheer coincidence while at Foleys today a chap came in with a 300Tdi version of mine and in the back to be fitted was a radio cubby painted grey to match the interior and covered with Techno cloth trim and I must say did look fantastic!
Post #336469 7th Jun 2014 6:52pm
Go Beyond

United Kingdom 
I'm sure I'll be around at some point tomorrow, text me mid morning and we'll get together Thumbs Up
Post #336470 7th Jun 2014 6:54pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
shaggydog

Quote:
if you can get new doors bulkhead resray etc for 7k ish your gonna have a very nice tdi!!!!!

I know! Much more reasonable compared to some of the quotes Shocked

Can't wait for the work to be done but wont be done for some time yet. They have a lead time of 2 months at the moment which is a good sign! I always worry when someone says ohhh can do it next week.....
Post #336472 7th Jun 2014 7:07pm
shaggydog

Will do Matt Thumbs Up
Post #336474 7th Jun 2014 7:21pm
Go Beyond

United Kingdom 
We trimmed that cubby last week, used the fabric from the chaps centre seat Mr. Green
Post #336476 7th Jun 2014 7:40pm
shaggydog

Changed out my bonnet bushes today in the sunshine.

Even got mum to help lift the bonnet on!

Annoyingly, the genuine parts bush hinges which I took all my measurements off were too small and rattled like a rattly thing. Annoyingly, my exact copies also rattled like a rattly thing so in a quiet period at work cut a pair of slightly bigger ones!

Much better fit and slides much nicer in the loops but haven't driven it yet so will see what a difference it has made on Monday.

Click image to enlarge

Also adjusted the bonnet shut moving the rubber capped bolts down to touch the slam plate which has made the bonnet much more stable as before it was pivoting on the catch and rocking side to side.

Still not convinced it is right though but I can't find a way of adjusting the pin length or height.

Click image to enlarge

Any Suggestions?
Post #336672 8th Jun 2014 6:24pm
Retroanaconda

Scotland 
The pin can be adjusted by rotating it, this will screw it in or out and adjust the height of the bonnet.

They're bloody tight though, mine too a bit set of mole grips to get it moving!
Post #338204 15th Jun 2014 9:30am
shaggydog

Polishing is boring-but rewarding!
Seriously guys, polishing dull paintwork must be the most boring but at the end rewarding thing to do on a defender. I have never polished mine because its a working vehicle and the paintwork was so far gone I never saw the point. However, I have Jury duty looming up and I have decided this is going to be my coping mechanism.

Decided before I go in for a (very) expensive re-spray I thought I would give her a T cut and see what the effects were.

First of all gave her a good wash down with good old fairy liquid (harsh I know but cuts all the oil and grime off) then give the panel a good going over with a polishing cloth and some T-cut with Blue restore in it. This seems to work wonders though does have the unfortunate by product of turning your fingernails blue.

From there I buff off with a clean sock then apply a layer of Autoglym super resin polish stuff. this honestly seems to remove the blue which you have so carefully just put on but it does do a very good job of finding bits you have missed which you can then give a go over. I then remove that with a nice clean rag and give it a bit of a buff up and hey presto looks massively improved!

What do you think:

Click image to enlarge

Wing polished, bonnet unpolished.

Click image to enlarge

Wing and door polished, rear door and bonnet unpolished.

Click image to enlarge

Front passenger door polished, rear door B-post and hinges unpolished.

Also makes the shadowing effect left by the old Environment Agency Stickers much less visible.

Only problem is I am starting to look like this

Post #341404 28th Jun 2014 12:04pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 19 <123 ... 171819>