↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > Air conditioner servicing
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
BigWheels

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Tonga Green
Air conditioner servicing
I use my a/c a lot more than I ever thought I would. How often should they be serviced (filter, coolant) & is servicing part of the annual check, or would I have to ask for it to be checked specifically? Land Rover Defenders. 67 years heritage, minimal appearance changes, still going strong all over the world. Not a fashion vehicle, but fashionable to own. Made for the needy, not the greedy. Ta ta Defender
Post #314871 9th Mar 2014 10:42pm
munch90

England 
you are supposed to change the filters , drier etc but no one ever does if everything ok ( no pump problems etc )
normal ac service is : remove gas weight it and make sure not lots leaked out then vacuum system ( 25 mins ) to remove moisture then measure amount of oil removed ( you can't remove all the oil unless complete strip down or flush ) machine should do leak test if ok then fill with gas and add bit extra oil then removed and if it was a bit low on gas but passed leak test you can add a small bit of uv dye to aid leak finding in the future , then run and check pressures with ac on

and put a ac bomb in cabin to freshen it up and kill the bugs in the air pipes

you normally find ac will work better after even if it was full of gas

really should be done every 2 years
they say even a good system with no detectable leaks will lose 10% gas a year

don't be tempted to use a small top up can from motor factors most have sealers in them and it will never work as good again
Post #314878 9th Mar 2014 10:54pm
driver9

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
Most manufacturers recommend air con is serviced and re-gassed every 2 years. Local garage did my Puma because the stealer was too expensive.
Post #314930 10th Mar 2014 8:14am
lrmaniac

Portugal 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Keswick Green
munch90 wrote:
you are supposed to change the filters , drier etc but no one ever does if everything ok ( no pump problems etc )

I turned the AC on the other day (could not find a balance between hot /cold so had to turn tha AC on) and there was a strange smell coming inside the cabin- like mold or something - that dispaear after five minutes or so...

But it was not the first time...

So I was wondering if there are any filter for the Vent/AC that should be cleaned or changed? You mentioned this, can tell where they're located, or how to? Page of the workshop manual perhaps ? (Did look but could not find Embarassed ) Regards
Joao

'10 Land Rover Defender 110 CC
'08 BMW F800GS
'64 SIIA Forward Control
'69 SIIA 109 ZA CKD
Post #314966 10th Mar 2014 12:20pm
munch90

England 
no pollen ( CABIN ) filter on puma

you need to put a aircon sanitiser (sometimes called a aircon bomb ) through it

its like a aerosol spray that you set off inside then close doors (DONT SIT IN CAR ) with aircon running and it kills the mold etc in the system.

FOLLOW INSTRUCTIONS ON THE AEROSOL FOR EXACT WAY TO DO IT
Post #314970 10th Mar 2014 12:51pm
jimbob7

lrmaniac wrote:
munch90 wrote:

I turned the AC on the other day (could not find a balance between hot /cold so had to turn tha AC on) and there was a strange smell coming inside the cabin- like mold or something - that dispaear after five minutes or so...

So I was wondering if there are any filter for the Vent/AC that should be cleaned or changed? You mentioned this, can tell where they're located, or how to? Page of the workshop manual perhaps ? (Did look but could not find Embarassed )

Condensation left to stagnate on the air-con condensor is often the cause of bad smelling air-con.As said, look for "air-con bomb".
Like this.
http://www.micksgarage.com/proddetails.asp...p;pk=521af Pov.spec,ftw. 2006, 110,TD5.
Post #314971 10th Mar 2014 12:59pm
munch90

England 
lrmaniac wrote:
munch90 wrote:

So I was wondering if there are any filter for the Vent/AC that should be cleaned or changed? You mentioned this, can tell where they're located, or how to? Page of the workshop manual perhaps ? (Did look but could not find Embarassed )

no pollen ( CABIN ) filter on puma

you need to put a aircon sanitiser (sometimes called a aircon bomb ) through it

its like a aerosol spray that you set off inside then close doors (DONT SIT IN CAR ) with aircon running and it kills the mould / bacteria etc in the system.

FOLLOW INSTRUCTIONS ON THE AEROSOL FOR EXACT WAY TO DO IT
Post #314972 10th Mar 2014 1:04pm
jimbob7

Re: Air conditioner servicing
BigWheels wrote:
I use my a/c a lot more than I ever thought I would. How often should they be serviced (filter, coolant) & is servicing part of the annual check, or would I have to ask for it to be checked specifically?

Usin your air-con a lot is a good thing,it helps stops the rubber hoses and seals from perishing. Pov.spec,ftw. 2006, 110,TD5.
Post #314973 10th Mar 2014 1:05pm
WelshGas

Wales 2010 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Santorini Black
I personally use my AC all the time. Keeps the inside nice and dry, especially with the wet winter we have experienced. Thumbs Up LANDYWATCH

Neighbourhood Watch for Land Rover Owners

http://www.landywatch.co.uk/smf2/index.php
Post #315086 10th Mar 2014 8:56pm
martinfiattech

England 
I`am aware there is no pollen filter fitted as standard and to the best of my knowledge I`cant see where it may go.
Is there a aftermarket or harsh conditions filter option out there as I`am not to keen on the smell (so far so good) when it arrives. It will get air bommed. Just watch the plastics I`ve seen a dash badly marked by them.

I was wondering about making a pollen filter myself to go over the heater motor intake and measuring the motor current draw to see if it made a difference.

Has anyone any ideas...
Post #316303 15th Mar 2014 11:35pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
Devon 4x4 do a pollen filter. Thumbs Up Diesel$ Live$ Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #316326 16th Mar 2014 1:07am
munch90

England 
Fitting a filter wont help with smell . The smell is coming from inside aircon system
Post #316423 16th Mar 2014 4:51pm
K9F

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
Change your undercrackers! Rolling with laughter If you go through life with your head in the sand....all people will see is an ar5e!!

Treat every day as if it is your last....one day you will be right!!
Post #316425 16th Mar 2014 4:59pm
martinfiattech

England 
Thanks for that steve will have a look at there site, always get hay fever every year, hope fully this will either slow down or stop the nasties lurking in the evaporator.

Go commandooooooooooo...
Post #316474 16th Mar 2014 8:06pm
90 Dreamer

United Kingdom 2016 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Corris Grey
custom90steve wrote:
Devon 4x4 do a pollen filter. Thumbs Up

Sorry old post but am i right in thinking it sits below the NS wing top grille??
Post #786875 14th Aug 2019 10:30pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>