↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Dealership & Sponsor Feedback > Yan The Landy Man
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Print this entire topic · 
kaney

United Kingdom 2005 Defender 90 Td5 CSW Epsom Green
GUM97 wrote:
Avoid at all costs. I've never heard anything good about him, and my brief dealings were (to be polite), unpleasant.

RUBBISH I am from Bolton he has a superb mechanic go through them Full MOT done before sale lot's of people I know has bought of him with no issues and yes he get's Censored ed off with time wasters and is quite blunt when it comes to them.
I have just bought a Defender off him which the only issue on the MOT was pitting on the disc brakes which he had taken off and sorted there and then, So you now have heard something good about him if you want to spread hear says.

Click image to enlarge
Post #910904 5th Jul 2021 10:45pm
Paul Smortions

United Kingdom 1998 Defender 110 300 Tdi USW Coniston Green
I made the mistake of buying from Jan without googling his name. A very pretty 110 with a late 300tdi and a roll cage, a combo I'd been looking for for some time. He described it on ebay as being in excellent condition throughout.

I bought the vehicle unseen as it was at the other end of the country in the middle of lockdown - many people would consider this unwise but in fact it gives you extra legal protections under the Sale of Goods Act. It means you accept the word of the dealer, rather than relying on your own assessment, and can hold him to his word if the vehicle is not as described.

When it was delivered I quickly discovered that it had terrible brakes. All discs and pads needed changing, plus some pipework and calipers (so badly corroded they had to be cut from the vehicle). It also gave out apocalyptic clouds of black smoke under load; turns out the diesel pump was knackered and about to fall out of the engine bay. Various other faults included bodge repairs to half shafts and cam shaft, non-locking door locks, failing diffs, leaking transfer box and oil filter etc etc.

I took Jan to the small claims court for costs of the major issues and won nearly £4000 in compensation. Hilarious considering I'd offered him the chance to settle out of court for half that. Wise up Jan, dishonesty sometimes comes back to bite you 😎
Post #917346 17th Aug 2021 6:19am
LandRoverAnorak

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
Thanks for the first hand account, Paul and welcome to the forum. Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia
Post #917349 17th Aug 2021 6:42am
Leamreject

Italy 2011 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Fuji White
If they are a genuine business, distance selling clauses can come back and bite them in the arse if they misrepresent the goods you have bought. Thumbs Up Ride like you stole it!!
If I’m not on a bike it’s because only a 4x4 will do…
2011 2.4 Puma 90 HT
Post #917350 17th Aug 2021 6:55am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
jim4244

England 1998 Defender 90 300 Tdi CSW Epsom Green
£4000! Great result! 👍

Jim
Post #917382 17th Aug 2021 10:03am
boxoftricks

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Zermatt Silver
Great result Jim and a shame that not more individuals take this type of action. He sounds like a liability.
Post #917386 17th Aug 2021 10:24am
defender9

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 SW Keswick Green
Living up this part of the country, you do hear about the dealers who you need to be very wary of and Yan the Landy Man is one of these. Unfortunately with all the hype around Land Rovers these last few years many people have been drawn in to wanting to get into Land Rovers with little or no knowledge of them and something which looks all nice and shiny on the outside can harbour a myriad of problems. My local Indy often gets vehicles in which have recently been bought and need to have problems fixed. All that glitters is not gold as they say.
Post #917389 17th Aug 2021 10:33am
Huttopia

United Kingdom 
Paul Smortions wrote:
I made the mistake of buying from Jan without googling his name. A very pretty 110 with a late 300tdi and a roll cage, a combo I'd been looking for for some time. He described it on ebay as being in excellent condition throughout.

I bought the vehicle unseen as it was at the other end of the country in the middle of lockdown - many people would consider this unwise but in fact it gives you extra legal protections under the Sale of Goods Act. It means you accept the word of the dealer, rather than relying on your own assessment, and can hold him to his word if the vehicle is not as described.

When it was delivered I quickly discovered that it had terrible brakes. All discs and pads needed changing, plus some pipework and calipers (so badly corroded they had to be cut from the vehicle). It also gave out apocalyptic clouds of black smoke under load; turns out the diesel pump was knackered and about to fall out of the engine bay. Various other faults included bodge repairs to half shafts and cam shaft, non-locking door locks, failing diffs, leaking transfer box and oil filter etc etc.

I took Jan to the small claims court for costs of the major issues and won nearly £4000 in compensation. Hilarious considering I'd offered him the chance to settle out of court for half that. Wise up Jan, dishonesty sometimes comes back to bite you 😎

Does it though? Let's say you are the one in 50 who followed up and managed to get some money back via the courts. He is still in business, still selling the same tarted up crud that no one else will touch, and making what I suspect is a healthy profit doing so. Your £4k spread across the profit on the other 49 deals is buttons!

Does trading standards still exist?
Post #917393 17th Aug 2021 10:52am
jimbo55

United Kingdom 
Went to look at a couple he had for sale when I got my defender, some of the chassis repairs were shocking and could poke through them with my finger, his response was “well it passed an mot” so was clearly using a dodgy mot place. In addition when I walked away without buying he said I wouldn’t find a better one in my budget even though he didn’t know my budget (which was significantly higher than the ones he was selling)

Wouldn’t even bother wasting my time looking at anything he has for sale again to be honest. He doesn’t have a clue about what he is actually selling and would definitely avoid
Post #917401 17th Aug 2021 11:24am
Paul Smortions

Yes Huttopia you do have a point, I'm sure Jan is doing very nicely out of other people's inexperience. There are certainly enough tales of woe on forums like this one. From rotten chassis (what's the plural of chassis?!) to stolen vehicles seized by police.

I'm under no illusions that I've taught him a lesson, but the more people hold him to account the better. And if 49 people got scammed, I'm glad I'm the one who stopped him scamming me. I think trading standards is a thing of the past, which is a shame really because most people lack the time, energy, money and knowledge required to use the courts.
Post #917406 17th Aug 2021 12:52pm
Huttopia

United Kingdom 
/\ absolutely right, and well done on pursuing it. Did you use the MCOL / small claims process? It is quite straightforward if you are reasonably well organised. It is just a shame to have to commit mentally to a battle when there are lots of other more interesing things to be doing!
Post #917411 17th Aug 2021 1:15pm
Paul Smortions

Yes, MCOL. I've used it before a few times to scare money out of non-paying clients. Usually just sending people a dummy copy of the claim form is enough to get results. Jan was more stubborn though. Even after the judge gave him a month to pay me, he waited until just before midnight on the final day to transfer the money 😂
Post #917430 17th Aug 2021 4:56pm
Huttopia

United Kingdom 
Well that is a result. It obviously irked him to be made to return the money, and that alone is worth something.
Post #917435 17th Aug 2021 5:13pm
lightning

United Kingdom 
My friend bought a 300tdi from him some time ago, it was solid enough and looked like it had a new chassis but needed a ton of minor jobs doing.

lt was sold as having done 40,000 miles, but it was only the engine that had done that mileage, the rest had done a lot more.
lt drove well though.

The main issue though, was that none of the numbers matched the V5 (my friend was naive and failed to check when she bought it so had to share the blame for this)

Unable to sell the Landy due to the non matching numbers, to his credit Yan bought it back off her, although at a couple of thousand less than the £12,000 she'd paid for it.

l am not sure what happened to it after that.
Post #936770 8th Jan 2022 12:56am
jim4244

England 1998 Defender 90 300 Tdi CSW Epsom Green
No doubt he gave it a quick clean up, checked that all his previous dodgy repairs were holding up and then resold it at a good profit….

I can’t believe that this guy is still in business?

Jim
Post #936819 8th Jan 2022 1:47pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>