↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Wheels & Tyres > Which spare wheel carrier?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 5 of 5 <12345
Print this entire topic · 
LandRoverAnorak

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
zone30 wrote:
zone30 wrote:
What about these guys, any good?
http://www.extreme4x4.co.uk/acatalog/REAR_WHEEL_CARRIERS.html

Anyone???

It's mentioned elsewhere that they are made by Safari Equip. Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia
Post #311912 26th Feb 2014 5:15pm
nakatanenga

Germany 
Our current webshop is not able to be run as multilangual, but guess, we are working on a new shop system. This will take a while because of lots of reasons (PIA to be honest Shocked ). We are not putting any more efforts in our current system than absolutely necessary.

Currently we have a couple of thousand part no's online an not only "a dozen" like market participant Entrequ

Our Distributor in the UK is www.overlander4x4.com and their site is english.

I personally try to help with technical questions, "teasers", product facts, international inquiries etc as good as i can. WANTED:

SII or SIII in max 1.5k
Post #311921 26th Feb 2014 6:14pm
paulnb57

Is there anything available that is reasonably priced, galvanised, works with a drop down tailgate and doesn't require repositioning of any of the rear lights? SVX leds fitted....

Paul
Post #311988 26th Feb 2014 11:04pm
sven

Norway 2009 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 SVX Soft Top Santorini Black
For my 90 SVX softtop it seems like a single pivot spare wheel carrier is the only option.

The upper mount of the Safari Equip carrier is in conflict with the softtop fastener fixing.

Have tried to get hold of a Sonic/Allisport but with no luck.

Anyone? 2009 Land Rover Defender 90 SVX Soft top 60th Anniversary Edition
Post #313342 4th Mar 2014 8:42am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
domcoutts

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS DCPU Bonatti Grey
Just to add to the two previous posts... Really need a carrier for my DC with drop down tailgate that is single pivot and doesn't require support from/or drilling into the bodywork. Come on manufacturers!!!
Post #314319 7th Mar 2014 6:10pm
SailingTom

United Kingdom 
I'm another like the above posts as the upper mounts all wont work with my soft top.
The Sonic one seemed perfect (despite the cost) Surely its proving if even on here, with the amount of pickup owners that there is a market for a more budget version to the same concept.
I'd buy one if it was around the price of the standard ones! as it is im not going to have a spare in my next one despite wanting one.

Maybe nakatanenga could consider producing the same one there planning with a bar to secure shut like the extreme one pictured for all us owners with tailgates Whistle
It will be less work than the one for rear doors honest! Thumbs Up

P.s I've also pm'd nakatanenga to see if there are any plans/ could be plans for a tailgate version of there new wheel carrier. Ive also said ill happily send a design if they wish so we will have to see.

If not ill have a word with another maker of defender steel products who could definitely make/ design one if the interest was there.

Cheers Tom Defender puma dormobile camper
Post #314334 7th Mar 2014 6:58pm
Supacat

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS DCPU Keswick Green
http://rijidijoffroad.bounce.com.au/#/kit-page/4551195113

These guys make a good kit,just need to get someone to assemble/weld in uk. Particularly like the bearing used.

I'd just be after a version compatible with a rear step bumper.
Post #314424 8th Mar 2014 7:05am
leeds

United Kingdom 
The Nakatanenga and Safari Equip single pivot wheel carriers are designed to work with a hinged rear door. Now the mount which goes on the door is below the 'waist' level of the back of a Defender.

My understanding is that a standard Safari Equip wheel carrier will work with a hinged rear half door on a pick up if it is the reinforced type.

Now if that is the case I would imagine that the Nakatanenga and Safari Equip single pivot would work with a hinged half door.

To convert a single pivot wheel carrier to work with a drop down tail gate? Please remember that this is a minority market and Safari Equip already does one version already for a drop down tail gate, which does require some drilling.

Now is it commercially viable to alter a Nakatanenga or Safari Equip single pivot to work with a drop down tailgate??

Personally I would have doubts about it being a commercially available option. There again I may well be wrong.

Brendan
Post #314566 8th Mar 2014 9:22pm
SailingTom

United Kingdom 
Your probably right Brendan

Might be worth a survey to see though as seems to be interest form people wanting such a product, I've spoken to people who have said the same and then seeing others wanting similar on here also shows interest.

I'm not sure it would be a minority market though as the sonic is the only carrier for people with drop down tailgates and hoods that allows them to fit properly (not just soft tops but all double cabs/ pickups with 3/4 hoods included of which there are a great many). along with many owners who equally don't want to drill extra holes for mounting?

It might be a case of if the product was available you'd be surprised as I cant be the only one who would like a £200- £500 range sonic equivalent? I'm sure the Sonic would have sold even more if it was cheaper. It must prove the demand in how quickly they always sell second hand?

Also i'd of thought it would make more commercial sense having 2 options of the same carrier and im certain that a tailgate version would be cheaper to produce than the door version, the big plus being that there would be no real competition for it either presuming it could be a similar cost, compared to the only other being a different price range all together.

Dont take it as a dig, its just personally i think its a missed opportunity.

Cheers Tom Very Happy Defender puma dormobile camper
Post #314592 8th Mar 2014 10:32pm
d j hutton

England 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Orkney Grey
leeds wrote:
Well 8 years+ with Safari Equip standard wheel carrier, modified for radio mounts 150,000 miles. With a lot of those miles on rough tracks. Zero problems.

OK powder coating has started to go but I can live with that, or take it off and get it recoated

Got one of these on the 90 and its been great, been on probably 7 years. Some powder coat coming off on sharp angles but I took the option of galvanising then powder coat. Don't know whether they still offer that option but it means no rust, even if you chip the powder coat.

DJ

I'd be interested in getting a modification for a radio aerial mount, any more details on that Brendan? 1989 200tdi 90 csw
2011 110 usw Orkney grey

Buy British 🇬🇧

Defender Clothing Designs available at http://www.rangesports.com/acatalog/Defender-Stuff.html
Post #314598 8th Mar 2014 10:59pm
domcoutts

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS DCPU Bonatti Grey
SailingTom wrote:
Your probably right Brendan

Might be worth a survey to see though as seems to be interest form people wanting such a product, I've spoken to people who have said the same and then seeing others wanting similar on here also shows interest.

I'm not sure it would be a minority market though as the sonic is the only carrier for people with drop down tailgates and hoods that allows them to fit properly (not just soft tops but all double cabs/ pickups with 3/4 hoods included of which there are a great many). along with many owners who equally don't want to drill extra holes for mounting?

It might be a case of if the product was available you'd be surprised as I cant be the only one who would like a £200- £500 range sonic equivalent? I'm sure the Sonic would have sold even more if it was cheaper. It must prove the demand in how quickly they always sell second hand?

Also i'd of thought it would make more commercial sense having 2 options of the same carrier and im certain that a tailgate version would be cheaper to produce than the door version, the big plus being that there would be no real competition for it either presuming it could be a similar cost, compared to the only other being a different price range all together.

Dont take it as a dig, its just personally i think its a missed opportunity.

Cheers Tom Very Happy

I second this! ... It seems bizarre to me that there are so many single pivot options available for those with doors, when the wheel already has an exterior mount, whilst those of us who have no existing method of mounting the spare outside of the vehicle, are presented soley with the hugely expensive and completely elusive Sonic carrier.

The load area is severely restricted whilst the spare remains in its original place, it's not an exciting bolt-on toy we're after, it's a vital modification! Until I can find a solution, my spare remains in the shed, where it's of absolutely no use whatsoever.

I fitted a carrier to a previous vehicle that required fixing to the bodywork... When it bent and tore the bodywork after someone decided to stand on it for a better view at the point-to-point, I'm not doing it again!

I really don't see that it would take much to attach a longer arm and carrier to a hefty pivot. And as Tom rightly points out, it requires far less engineering to create a carrier arm that is simply latched closed across the tailgate than one that has to open and close securely in tandem with a door!

I've said it before, but literally almost every pick up and 4x4 you comes across in Africa has one, if not two, single pivot wheel carriers attached to their rear end. Substantial, with well-engineered components and mechanisms, they are ten to a penny, readily available and I'm certain, very affordable. Why therefore does it feel like I'm asking the impossible!?
Post #314621 9th Mar 2014 1:04am
wimvanzomeren

Netherlands 2011 Defender 130 Puma 2.4 HCPU Barolo Black
shaggydog wrote:
Depends how tall you are I think

I'm 6'2" and I can see fine over my 265,75,16's no problems but I have heard of shorter people trying it and not liking it.

Do you know where to buy?
Post #879874 21st Jan 2021 9:38am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 5 of 5 <12345