↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Removing the door cards
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Jim_Bean

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Santorini Black
Removing the door cards
I have a strange twangy rattle on the drivers door when I close it. She's only 5 months old but the dealer can't even look at it for another 3 weeks.

Is this something a newbie can have a go at?

Are the door cards easy enough to remove and replace? I don't want to screw the warranty up but I'm concerned that the window will drop down into the door or jam if not repaired.

Any tips?
Post #288278 7th Dec 2013 12:02am
custom90

United Kingdom 
Ideally you want a universal trim removal tool.
Once the door handles are unscrewed it pops off towards you all around the extremities. Main thing to watch is damaging paint so just use a little tape or similar to protect it. Diesel$ Live$ Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #288285 7th Dec 2013 12:27am
leeds

United Kingdom 
Best advice?

Get a GOOD working relationship with A dealership.

Small jobs should be able to be fitted in by a main dealership a lot faster then 3 weeks.

A good working relationship means that the dealership knows when you need the vehicle back in a hurry or when it does not matter if it takes a day or too longer then originally planned. Give them that information means if need be it is easier for them to fit in someone else's urgent job.

Talk to the mechanics and service manager and show them that you are a LR enthusiast. Show them mods that they would not see from the typical Chelsea tractor driver, talk about your plans and ask for their advice.

Our local dealership will fit in small jobs for us in a few days and have even done it on the same day when we have requested it.

So you need to work on that good relationship for any future issues that might arise.

Brendan
Post #288289 7th Dec 2013 12:36am
Jim_Bean

I agree and have tried this approach. There is one person there that is a through and through defender guy BUT it's not often him that I speak with.

The service manager is a young lad in a very expensive suit who has no clue at all.

I tried the defender enthusiast approach but the response was "have you tried the new Discovery 4 sir? A much better vehicle".

The only other large Land Rover dealer close to me, Evans Halshaw in Stoke, is worse. The lad there called it a "one one oh". If they don't know the name of their own vehicles I'm not leaving it with them to fix!

I'll wait for my slot on the 18th and see if I can talk directly with the technicians again.
Post #288478 7th Dec 2013 10:17pm
leeds

United Kingdom 
It sounds like you have met what appears to be a general problem that exists in more city based Land Rover dealership. Rural based dealerships in general seem to have a much better attitude to Defenders and their owners.

We had problems with one of the local city based LR dealership when we bought a new Defender from them. We had to show the salesman where the battery was, he was just a car salesman. We had various minor niggles to sort out and after banging my head against the 'suit wall' I lost my temper with them and got in contact with the service director for the group who was LR through and through and brought up on Series vehicles. Armed with his mobile number and one phone call from him to garage and the 'suit wall' disappeared.

About three years ago we swapped to a rural based dealership where they are used to farmers and Defenders. No problems whatsoever with the service staff. Phone them up explain the issues and any time scale constraits and when it has been important they have fitted us in the same day. Also they have phoned us up and asked if they can delay completion time on our vehicles when they know we are not desperate for our vehicle back. Both service manager and parts manager have given us advice/part numbers and like to know what we have been up to.

So your choices appear to be
1) put up with bad service or find alternative dealership
2) try going over suits head
3) try a chat with Mike at Land Rover Customer Services his details are on the forum.

Whilst your current issues are currently minor, do try to find a way of getting a good working relationship with a dealership. It might be difficult but good luck with it.

Brendan
Post #288491 7th Dec 2013 11:41pm
Jim_Bean

Thanks for the advice Brendan. I'll call them again and see if I can move this along.

I agree that a good relationship with the dealer would be very valuable. Especially with all the faults I've had so far!

I'll try and go past that suited chimp and speak with the workshop manager. I just wish the dealer had the asme enthusiasm for the Defender as for the rest of the line-up.
Post #288790 9th Dec 2013 11:33am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1