↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Dealership & Sponsor Feedback > What makes good or bad then?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
Print this entire topic · 
JASPERTHEHORSE

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Orkney Grey
What makes good or bad then?
Neutral

Ive got a little thread going on in the stratstone section but Im really curious about this.

Just what exactly makes a dealership bad or indeed good?

In essence if youve had a bad experience what was it? why was it bad, what would you have done to have made the experience better if it was your own dealership.

Likewise

If youve had a great experience what was it and what made it great?

I guess this is open to both sales and service sides.

Thumbs Up
Post #75039 9th Jun 2011 6:55pm
BigMike

United Kingdom 
Is question this for personal interest or do you have some kind of agenda?
Post #75054 9th Jun 2011 7:37pm
JASPERTHEHORSE

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Orkney Grey
Both.....

Personal and professional interest in this subject.

Personally Im a land rover fanatic

Professionally, Im the general sales manager for newcastle land rover, Stratstone.

Hows that for an honest reply?

Wink
Post #75387 11th Jun 2011 7:54pm
22900013A

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Keswick Green
A good experience with any sale (from baked beans to landrovers) would be one where the customer gets value for money, gets honest, sincere and knowledgeable advice, is treated with respect and dignity, is listened to in the event of a problem, and that problem is rectified promptly and correctly.

A bad experience would be the opposite of this. 2011 110 USW
1973 Series III 1-Ton
1972 Series III 1-Ton Cherrypicker
1969 IIA 1-Ton
1966 IIA 88"
Post #75394 11th Jun 2011 8:04pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
BigMike

United Kingdom 
Very good Jasper. Might have also been good if you had stated that on the other thread, and possibly put your role in your signature, or make it clear who you are. Not having a go by the way, but dealers (in general, not talking about you as obviously I dont know you) are terrible in terms of the way they treat customers who often will know more about the vehicles than they do. Mikes list (mse) on the other thread is worthy of note, and I have also experienced almost all the things he mentions.

for your info/research, I have had big problems with James Edwards Brock (who have just renamed themselves hunters for some unknown reason), had good personal service from hillendale (though their technical side is poor) and absolutely incredible service and attitude coupled with genuine mechanical ability from Lakeland. So despite the fact that Lakeland is 60 miles away from me, and brock around 10, Hillendale 20, I will go to Lakeland every time. And I am not unusual in this. Many people from the aea I live go to Lakeland despite having a dealer (with a Censored poor reputation) on the doorstep.

And here's something else that you might find useful (or might not). When my vehicle (MY10 90) is worked on, I want to talk to the mechanic who's working on it. I dont want to talk to a blow dried haired recptionist with a nice smile and a tight top, I want to talk to the mechanic. And I want to be able to go into the workshop with him and talk/look/show him the vehicle and any concerns I may have. I dont want to sit on a comfortable sofa watching sky sodding news with a latte and a biscuit and a "it'll be about an hour sir". I don't want to be called Sir, I want to be called Mike. I don't want to be told that I can't go into the workshop for "health and safety" sodding reasons, I want to be in there discussing the vehicle direct with the guy. And I want to take it back to that same guy. I dont want a relayed message from an administrator with an explanation that he or she does not understand, only for me to ask a question and the person to say "oh, I ll have to ask, Ill need to get back to you" etc.

I also want reasonable service costs. I can service a vehicle myself, though clearly I need the stamp to remain in warranty. In fact I can service a vehicle far more comprehensively than any dealer can for time reasons, so when I take it in to a main dealer, I am not going to pay double the cost of my local independent who will let me use his ramp, share a coffee, have a laugh and help me do the service and stamp the book. He knows damn well that I'm not an idiot, and will let me get on with it. However, if the main dealer serice prices were half way reasonable, for time saving reasons I would say fair enough, get on with it, but I would still want to talk to the mechanic about it, and keep taking it to the same guy.

I could go on for pages about this stuff, as I'm sure the other guys could.

Oh, and now I'm on a roll, I want a mechanic at a dealer who is actually a mechanic, not a "fitter". I do not want a guy working on my vehicle who just reads IDS, sees a fault and replaces a part. i want him to think "why is this happening, is it just a faulty part or is there something else going on?" and us to discuss it, and for him to use his experience and expertise to discuss it with me thoroughly.

rant over.
Post #75396 11th Jun 2011 8:14pm
kingofthesparks

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Fuji White
Could not have put it better sir , sorry mike Thumbs Up
Post #75397 11th Jun 2011 8:18pm
BigMike

United Kingdom 
22900013A wrote:
A good experience with any sale (from baked beans to landrovers) would be one where the customer gets value for money, gets honest, sincere and knowledgeable advice, is treated with respect and dignity, is listened to in the event of a problem, and that problem is rectified promptly and correctly.

A bad experience would be the opposite of this.

Agreed. Though I don't want to have my arse kissed, just be treated like a normal human being.

On the day I picked up my latest 90 from the dealer (guy salmon in stockport), the guy was nowhere to be seen at the appointed time. I waited 20 minutes and saw my arse. Asked reception what was going on, she called him and he was on a test drive. fine I said, I ll see someone else. Ended up dealing with the sales manager (nice bloke) only for the original sales guy to come over an hour late and say he would now take over. No sorry, no nothing. I said I dont think so old son, you're an hour late and that's taking the Censored . evidently you've made the sale and move on the to the next one. He wandered off. I wouldn't buy a mars bar from them after that.
Post #75399 11th Jun 2011 8:22pm
willy eckerslike

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 HCPU Keswick Green
Good Topic, dealers should ask more often for feedback if they truly want to improve their service quality. Unfortunately the Defender is just a thorn in the side of a lot of dealers. As we discussed Mike, if a dealer took some time to check for and fix leaks, panel fit, door seals, loose bolts, and maybe some waxoyl type treatment , before waving it of with it's new owner they would certainly save themselves and the customer some time and heartache. 8 hrs in the workshop prior to handover and I reckon alot of problems could be sorted before they develop. Of course this shoudn't be necessary but unfortunately it is. Original Member Pie n Pea Club.
110 HCPU Tipper
Post #75404 11th Jun 2011 8:47pm
BigMike

United Kingdom 
New defenders in XS spec are over 30 grand. It's way past time that they actually did a proper PDI.

Imaigne if a dealer put out a press release that they would do a "double" (ie fully comprehensive) PDI and waxoyl as standard. The net cost to them would be minimal, yet the kudos and PR they'd get would work wonders for them, sales wise (assuming of course prices were competitive). Team that with a personal service and "come into the workshop and talk to the mechanic" and it'd be fabulous.
Post #75406 11th Jun 2011 8:53pm
willy eckerslike

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 HCPU Keswick Green
It should be compulsory for all Dealership Principals to drive a Defender for a year. Sorted Original Member Pie n Pea Club.
110 HCPU Tipper
Post #75407 11th Jun 2011 9:03pm
pom

Fair play for throwing yourselves to the wolves!

It's not just this site that thinks your service department in poo, check out a couple of pages of other enthusiast sites saying the same.

Maybe put the Service Manager on gardening leave or send him/her to Mcdonalds to learn customer service ? I would find it hard to believe the whole service department is bad ?

cheers

Pom
Post #75418 11th Jun 2011 10:01pm
Glynparry25

Wales 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS DCPU Tonga Green
I have now been involved with about 5-6 different LR dealers (UK and Germany). There are simple areas to look at, and most have already been covered above.

Personalised service- Calling people 'Sir'.... If they drive a Range Rover, yes, but most Defender driver are the workers out there, and we aren't 'Sirs' (Well, maybe a few are). It is a crazy feeling if you walk into a place and the sales/ service rep knows who you are, and calls you by your name.

BIG ONE: If you say you are going to call in an hour- do it. Even if it is bad news. There is nothing worse than not knowing.

Work quality- I work on vehicles every day and there is nothing worse than someone getting their car back and the work is untidy. How hard is it to wipe down the dashboard, hoover the carpets or give it a quick wash before giving it back- When I did my mechanics course we spent the first 3 months learning to valet a car properly.

Service desk- Run a course so they know what they are talking about- yes they are there to just book your car in with a mechanic, but it is better when you are explaining the problem when they actually know what you are talking about- also means you don't pick the car up later and there is 'no fault found' because they described it to the mechanic wrong.

If you need to see how it is done, send the service staff down to Ripon Land Rover- they have provided me with the best service wherever I have been.... Second place goes to Paderborn Land Rover (Germany) as their service is awesome but prices are too steep.

Glyn Dog Sheep
Post #75437 12th Jun 2011 8:35am
22900013A

Glynparry25 wrote:

Personalised service- Calling people 'Sir'.... If they drive a Range Rover, yes, but most Defender driver are the workers out there, and we aren't 'Sirs' (Well, maybe a few are). It is a crazy feeling if you walk into a place and the sales/ service rep knows who you are, and calls you by your name.

Interesting that, some years ago I applied for a job at Landrover in Derby, and in the interview the guy was telling me all about this - how to spot who should be called what, and how important it was to get it right. Sadly the vacancy got pulled before I could be offered the job. Neutral 2011 110 USW
1973 Series III 1-Ton
1969 IIA 1-Ton
1966 IIA 88"
Post #75445 12th Jun 2011 9:22am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Zagato
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 
In complete contrast to Guy Salmon in Crawley who were just not interested in selling anything I've been very pleased with Harwoods at Edenbridge, they called me a week after I bought the 110 to see if I was happy with the vehicle and their staff service. After the recall work they called me a week later to check everything was OK and I was happy with the service I received. I've had 3 calls so far to check all is OK.

I've also had a call from central LR to check all is well and when would I buy another Shocked and had another call trying to sell me Autoglym lifeshine - yeah I'll jump at that Laughing £399 for a valet and polish Rolling Eyes He said "by applying this polish to the window you will have a deeper clarity and see better through it" Rolling with laughter Best joke I'd heard all week Rolling Eyes
Post #75446 12th Jun 2011 9:26am
22900013A

I didn't wait for Lookers to call me, I have been in regular touch with them since I bought it!

Funnily enough Hartwell at Oxford didn't seem particularly interested in selling me a 110, and they told me it was not possible to spec a base vehicle with aircon etc, and that I would have to buy an XS. Doesn't bode well to try and lock horns with a Landrover nut under those circumstances, like Scotty in star trek I read the manuals...have to give em credit they were polite enough but it came over they just weren't interested. Lookers London were a lot better but they knew who I was and knew I was visiting... 2011 110 USW
1973 Series III 1-Ton
1969 IIA 1-Ton
1966 IIA 88"

Last edited by 22900013A on 12th Jun 2011 3:27pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #75450 12th Jun 2011 9:37am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>