Home > Camping, Caravanning and Holidays > Cornwall Trip
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
Little Tom

United Kingdom 2004 Defender 110 Td5 CSW Bonatti Grey
Cornwall Trip
Hello,

Tonight I will be driving the wife and kids down to Bath for the night and then on to Cornwall for the week. Hopefully the sunshine will hang around for a bit longer although we seem to have missed the best of it Rolling Eyes

I have fitted new Exmoor Trim Premium high backs in the second row for the two little'uns and they are very excited for thier first holiday in the Landy who we have christened Bruce. Laughing

My last defender was pre kids so they have never been in one before, it always amuses me how they always want to play in the back. They never asked to do that in the Audi, strange that...

Anyways, Cornwall. I've been a few times before but never in a Land Rover so assuming I make it down there are there any must do activities for us? Maybe a Grren Lane or perhaps just some nice drives?

Any ideas welcome, my kidsare 4 and 3 if that influences your suggestions..

Thanks Michael was just telling me a story about a friend of his who slept with a land rover, lonely nights in the desert..
Post #260509 22nd Aug 2013 9:41am
WarPig

England 1996 Defender 110 300 Tdi USW Bonatti Grey
How bizarre! I fitted Exmoor Classic High Back 2nd row seats in my 300tdi purposely for our drive down to Cornwall (from Sheffield) so my young lad would be more comfy. Infact I'm sat on a beach in St Ives as I type.

We planned a stopover just past Bristol (towing our caravan) but ended up just driving straight to St Ives in one go. Took 8.5 hrs including 3 short stops. The A30 from the M5 can be a pig on Fridays, but more so on Saturdays, so try and avoid travelling in the normal daytime rush. The M5 can be bad as well. We are leaving tomorrow after 2 weeks of baking sunshine, but we are setting off about 6am to try and avoid traffic.

The only problem with driving around Cornwall is when being on a narrow country lane when another car comes head on with no place to pass. Then it becomes a battle of the strongest, which the Defender mormally wins Thumbs Up

Enjoy your hols. Where you going exactly? And piccys of your new seats are required Thumbs Up
Post #260529 22nd Aug 2013 11:00am
uncas

United Kingdom 
There are some nice easy lanes to drive in Cornwall most are well signed or they were the last time we drove them, I have an old TOR route that we did a few years ago wher abouts in Cornwall are you going? We will be going down on Friday the 30th for two week staying at Treago farm campsite at Crantock there's a nice easy lane that starts just below the campsite that runs round the common and comes out near Cubert another easy one runs from The Healeys Cider farm. Sorry I can't remember the map references and all my route my details are in the caravan ready for the trip,

Uncas
Post #260537 22nd Aug 2013 11:59am
Little Tom

Thanks uncas and WarPig, we will be staying just outside Truro, weve hired out a little holiday home for the week and the only thing we had planned other than beaches was the Eden Project.

I will get some pics of the high backs on here for you, I'll probably start a new topic for them but I'll take the pics tonight before we set off. Smile

I remember last year when we did it in the Audi we had a few stand offs on narrow lanes but not too much hassle, at least I now have the option of going through the hedge to get out the way Laughing Michael was just telling me a story about a friend of his who slept with a land rover, lonely nights in the desert..
Post #260540 22nd Aug 2013 12:22pm
Little Tom

By the way 'Sat on a beach in St Ives!' thats just rubbing it in! Michael was just telling me a story about a friend of his who slept with a land rover, lonely nights in the desert..
Post #260542 22nd Aug 2013 12:35pm
barbel jim

United Kingdom 2005 Defender 90 Td5 HT Tonga Green
Newquay Zoo is a good shout , especially on a wet day. We have visited a few times, small and friendly and cheap in comparison with other cornish pricing Whistle
Post #260543 22nd Aug 2013 12:37pm
Little Tom

Barbel Jim, I take it your a Barbel angler? I was on the Royalty strecth a couple of years ago with two mates of mine. One of the best weekends fishing Ive ever had. Michael was just telling me a story about a friend of his who slept with a land rover, lonely nights in the desert..
Post #260551 22nd Aug 2013 1:09pm
barbel jim

Whistle Thumbs Up spent alot of time on the Ouse Although next week will be fishing the camel estuary for Bass Whistle
Post #260557 22nd Aug 2013 1:29pm
Little Tom

I hadnt heard of it but after a quick google Im now an expert on the camel estuary, it looks beautiful! Michael was just telling me a story about a friend of his who slept with a land rover, lonely nights in the desert..
Post #260559 22nd Aug 2013 1:33pm
barbel jim

Thats Cornwall Mr. Green I'll just wonder off over the rocks with a spinning rod and cast into the surf. See plenty of scenery and catch a few fish. In the evening take the family and the BBQ to a nice spot, use peeler crabs and straight out the sea and onto the grill- It don't get any fresher, although once we had to stop at the chippy Rolling with laughter
Post #260563 22nd Aug 2013 1:41pm
db950

United Kingdom 1997 Defender 110 300 Tdi HT Nato Green
Very strange, I fitted high back seats as well for our trip to Cornwall, but not exmoor I fitted tdci seats!!!!
Loved it down there, infact booked to go back to the same site next year while we was there, looked around the site and chose the pitch we wanted. 1997 Ex-MOD 110, Pop Top Camper
2014 Discovery 4 SE Tech
Instagram @the110camper
Post #260619 22nd Aug 2013 6:00pm
couplands

United Kingdom 2001 Defender 90 Td5 HT Oslo Blue
If you're not already, consider joining the National Trust. Most of the Cornish coast and therefore many car parks, are owned by them and you can then park for free.

There are plenty of NT places to visit and the coastal path is great to walk. We are doing it, bit by bit.

Eden Project and the Maritime Museum at Falmouth offer a years free entry if you pay for your first visit with gift aid.

A ferry trip from Falmouth to St Mawes (and fish and chips from http://www.watchhousestmawes.co.uk/) is always good fun or further up to Truro. You can check the webcams at St Mawes to get in the mood... http://www.stmawesharbour.co.uk/harbour-webcam

Have fun.. Very Happy

Cheers

Simon
Post #260636 22nd Aug 2013 6:50pm
GSLRO

United Kingdom 2002 Defender 110 Td5 CSW Chawton White
Not been to Cornwall for a V long time and then when I did it was driving an 11mtr coach holding up all the traffic.

But I have fitted some high back (heated) seats in my 110 Laughing

The Frame

[URL=]
Click image to enlarge
[/URL]

The Gap

[URL=]
Click image to enlarge
[/URL]

Sizing up

[URL=]
Click image to enlarge
[/URL]

Finished!

[URL=]
Click image to enlarge
[/URL]

[URL=]
Click image to enlarge
[/URL]

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green  Adventure isn't paved!
Post #260640 22nd Aug 2013 6:57pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
WarPig

England 1996 Defender 110 300 Tdi USW Bonatti Grey
^^^Neat job Thumbs Up
Post #261386 26th Aug 2013 2:55pm
barbel jim

Little Tom, Hope your having a great time, and have left some bass for me Mr. Green Mr. Green Just packing the rods as we speak, and hope to be wetting a line in under 48 hours Whistle
Post #261864 28th Aug 2013 12:08pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>