↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > Sump problem!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 5 12345>
Print this entire topic · 
R380

Ireland 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Tonga Green
Sump problem!
Check out LR Technical Servivce Bulletin NO : LTB00110?29 January 2008. It appears it won't be a recall issue but rather a 'Wait and see who complains first and then we will fix it approach. Typical.

Tonga green HT County with factory fitted surface corrosion underneath ,baulky rear door latch and usual refinements... humour is that delicious perception of incongruity from a vantage point of ease and superiority...
Post #1441 22nd Feb 2008 11:52pm
JSG

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
Copy here

Click image to enlarge
Post #1444 23rd Feb 2008 11:24pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
red Defender

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Bonatti Grey
Thanks for the information. Whilst in Tunisia in January we met a tour guide who had 4 110's all off the road due to holes in the sump, and I believe two engine had blown up due to massive and rapid oil loss.
Have been to my dealership today and asked them to arrange a sump change before my next trip. Watch this space for the outcome. Whats broken now ?
Post #1461 26th Feb 2008 6:46pm
TJ101

Isle Of Man 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Montalcino Red
Hi Red,, is that Riders ??
If so, know them well enought to get some ammo, to fire at the dealer up here California F1, 75th 110 "Kermit", 50th Ann V8, 90 V8 Hybrid, 55 Series 1

Main Brian James Trailer Dealer for South West UK
Post #1462 26th Feb 2008 10:16pm
Icelandy

England 1985 Defender 110 Other PU Stornoway Grey
Have just taken delivery. Is it worth walking into my dealer and saying that i intend on doing some extreme offroad work, can i have the sump change please? Will they do this or do they require proof that it has been fouled first? If a job is worth doing....

Its worth doing well....

So get someone who knows what they are doing! Smile
Post #1472 27th Feb 2008 12:56pm
Petrovich

Russia 
Icelandy wrote:
Will they do this or do they require proof that it has been fouled first?

This is 100% proof Very Happy
(c)Пермяк
and you need to force them to change it
Or do it like this - just weld it by yourself or with local mechanic
 Defender 110 '07
Post #1476 27th Feb 2008 1:13pm
Icelandy

England 1985 Defender 110 Other PU Stornoway Grey
Guess that a trip to the dealer then...

Will let you all know how i get on. If a job is worth doing....

Its worth doing well....

So get someone who knows what they are doing! Smile
Post #1477 27th Feb 2008 1:14pm
AndrewS

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 130 Puma 2.2 SW Rimini Red
Just had a look at the sumps on my two 110s both are OK and the paint is not even marked Thumbs Up I expect they will fail at about the 60K mark and they will need new engines because they ran dry of oil Whistle

What I did find though was oil Censored out of the front and rear out-put shafts of the transfer box on the Utility Big Cry
Post #1483 27th Feb 2008 3:59pm
red Defender

Was about to go out and check my transfer box but remembered its at the dealers being mended again, total console failure.
The dealer is Riders, I have nothing but good to say about them, Gavin Pascoe, the Dealer Principle has got customer service right at the top of his priorities, Ill let you know the outcome with the sump. Big Cry Whats broken now ?
Post #1490 27th Feb 2008 5:59pm
AndrewS

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 130 Puma 2.2 SW Rimini Red
Fair play Charles you've got some patience Bow down Bow down I'm sure they will get it fixed one day.

The Red Pearl has just blown a front diff going up the M6 Big Cry Carl is dealing with LRA as I type this. Good old Land Rover Rolling Eyes

Last edited by AndrewS on 27th Feb 2008 9:17pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #1491 27th Feb 2008 6:16pm
red Defender

I hope so as we are off to Morocco again in April Thumbs Up Hope Carl gets a quicker service from LRA than I did, over 2 hours wait for a failed attempt to start it and then another 1 1/2 for recovery. Whats broken now ?
Post #1495 27th Feb 2008 6:57pm
R380

Ireland 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Tonga Green
Just had a chat with the dealer here in ireland about the sump issue . Presented them with a copy of the Tech bulletin and the superb pictures of sumpshaft carnage posted above and we have agreed to replace the sump with the new modified part at the first service. Amazing to think ther are 3, 90s and two 130 DCs parked in the lot ,all sold and the service manager had an encyclopaedic innocence with regard to the sump issue and potential warranty implications Shocked humour is that delicious perception of incongruity from a vantage point of ease and superiority...
Post #1501 27th Feb 2008 11:21pm
red Defender

Went to collect 110 today, all fixed Thumbs Up ABS and TC lights, adjusted sensors on both front wheels, dash failure needed a computer re set, we will see. They contacted LR about the sump and were told that it could not be done as a warranty claim as there is no sign of damage to the sump. I contacted the Customer service dept who spoke to the warranty team who told me that although I do use the vehicle off road and potentially in very extreme conditions they will not do anything until damage is done. Seems rather short sighted to me. My big issue is that of recovery of the vehicle if it does happen and dumps the oil in the middle of the Atlas mountains are they going to pick up the bill for recovery, given that it is a known problem, and I have explained my circumstances to them , some how I doubt it, gives you great faith in LR dosent it. Maybe the time has come to think about rejection. The agro to that is all the work thats been done. Twin battery system, winch bumper and winch, wired in rack and lights, bespoke storage and security in the back, spare wheel carrier, cubby box, the list goes on, weeks worth of work to remove it all and fit it to a new vehicle. Crying or Very sad Whats broken now ?
Post #1512 28th Feb 2008 6:47pm
BogMonster

Falkland Islands 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Corris Grey
Before I say this I fully accept that you shouldn't have to, but for peace of mind if I had this problem (I don't, I have a 2006 300Tdi which I intend to keep for a very long time!) I would firstly try to break it and if that failed then fork out the necessary cost out of my own pocket for peace of mind. I don't know how much a sump costs but I doubt whether it is more than £100 or so?
Post #1513 28th Feb 2008 7:17pm
red Defender

Have been out this afternoon trying to articulate the front and see how close the shaft came to the sump. Not conclusive, need to get the digger out at the weekend and make some holes to set the vehicle up with driver wheel stuffed up under the wheel arch and the near side off the ground, that should be as bad as it gets, but it will be stationary with no sudden jerks to compound the situation. As for buying a sump myself, I have thought about it but at the moment I believe it should be LR's problem to solve not mine, but if all else fails! Which Stanley are you in, Port Stanley by any chance, was anchored in Stanley in 82. Whats broken now ?
Post #1519 28th Feb 2008 7:58pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 5 12345>