↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Td5 > My second hand Intercooler repair
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
johnnyd

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
OK I am going to attempt to fit the intercooler today, first problem, my TD5 has a bull bar, I guess i need to remove that ? it looks like 3 bolts each side attach to the bumper, these seem to have non captive nuts, if i undo them, can i get the nuts back on easily ?

JD 2008 TDCi 2.4 XS CSW
Post #252552 20th Jul 2013 11:24am
diesel_jim

United Kingdom 2006 Defender 110 Td5 SW Epsom Green
You can do it with the bullbar in place, but it's fiddly. you'll probably gain time by removing it totally.

So, the 4 bolts (2 each side) that hold the bumper & bar in place, they attach to a captive nutplate which clips to the bottom of the bumper.

Sometimes the spring bit of this rusts away, so when you take both bolts out, the plate falls off (easy to get, some long nose pliers and you can pull it out of the front of the chassis once the bumper is removed)

When you re-assemble, it will take some fiddling and cursing to get the bolts to go through the nut plate. the tip is to be gentle, get the end of one bolt through the plate (nice coating of copper splip or grease helps for next time you need to remove it too). once one bolt is in, it's easy to get the next one one.

When you're tring to get the first bolt in to the plate, don't push down too hard before the threads have "caught", otherwise you'll end up screwing the bolt in and just pushing the nutplate down at an angle.

The 3rd bolt for the nudgebar will probably just go through the bumper with a nut on the back. this can stay in place, so the bumper and bar come off as one unit. this will make refitting easier (if not heavier!) as all the holes will line up.

Once the bar is off, open the bonnet, prop the bonnet open with a broom handle (or just remove it totally) as you will need to remove the bracket that holds the bonnet support bar.

take that plastic top cover off of the radiator (it has dzus type screws so only need to be turned 90 or so degrees to undo ) and take off the front rafiator grill (6 large cross head screws)

the front panel that the rad grill screws to, needs to come off, so there is a lower bolt either side (usually 13mm) that goes through to the inner wing, under the headlight, you can reach your hand under with a spanner) and two top studs/nuts. sometimes the nut comes off, sometimes the whole stud comes out, doesn't matter.

Then there's 4 small self tapping screws across the top.

then the fornt panel should come away. leaving the two ^ shaped bars, again 13mm bolts on the bottom, and usually a 10mm bolt on top, which goes through the bonnet catch as well.

Once that's done, 10mm bolts again, 3 either side, to remove the radiator top mounting brackets. as you look at the front of the vehicle, the LH bracket has the bonnet support rod on it. remove both of these.

Then remove the intercooler pipes, one each side.

There's 2 bolts that hold the intercooler to the main radiator (10mm I think)

Then the intercooler should be able to be wiggled away from the main rad.

Offer up the new intercooler, and see if the plastic tags need to be cut off of the main radiator. only about 1/2" of plastic needs to come off, you'll see them and it's pretty obvious where they are.

then "simply" refit the new intercooler and the rest of everything in place.

Job done. Whistle Whistle
Post #252556 20th Jul 2013 12:18pm
johnnyd

OK I am following the online pdf and Jamie's instructions but hit a snag....i seem to have two extra mounts on mine, one each side ?

Click image to enlarge
 2008 TDCi 2.4 XS CSW
Post #252573 20th Jul 2013 1:46pm
diesel_jim

That's the bracket that I mentioned that's held on with the 3x 10mm bolts (and the LH one has the bonnet support rod on it)
Post #252576 20th Jul 2013 1:59pm
johnnyd

Ah I missed that bit Wink

Also these look like the original rad and intercooler, and the Fins are like powder in places, does that matter? 2008 TDCi 2.4 XS CSW
Post #252580 20th Jul 2013 2:09pm
diesel_jim

In an ideal world, the fins would be perfect, but they do corrode away in time and turn to dust, as you see.

I'd put away a few pounds each week and keep an eye out for a new rad. They're not that expensive to replace.

The only PITA, is you need to do all what you're doing now... again... Rolling Eyes
Post #252583 20th Jul 2013 2:15pm
johnnyd

Fitted and wow....big difference even without a new mapping, that comes tomorrow Smile

Thanks for your help Jamie Wink

Quick question, i cant get the metal surround back on(it was a Censored to get off) as two lugs at the top seemed to slot in behind the bar brackets, do i just cut the lugs off?

Edit.....I cut them off Smile one thing has occurred though, the left retaining nut to secure the metal surround has dropped of into the headlight housing, so the grill now wobbles on the left, any ideas how I can get another nut in that headlight housing?

JD 2008 TDCi 2.4 XS CSW
Post #252612 20th Jul 2013 5:06pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12