↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Help needed: Exmoor Trim 2nd row seats
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
EirikSH

Norway 2000 Defender 110 Td5 SW Cobar Blue
Help needed: Exmoor Trim 2nd row seats
I have a set of Exmoor Trim 2nd row seats, think the model is called the Classic, which I want to install in my Def. Problem is that I have no instructions, just a big box of seats, metal parts and bolts/nuts/screws.

Hopefully someone else have installed these and can give me some pointers, or maybe have the instructions in a drawer? Called Exmoor Trim and they said they should try to find some and e-mail me, but I haven't received anything yet.

Picture of one of the seats. The 40/60 needs to be removed, and I think I need to drill some holes.

Click image to enlarge

Front seat fitted straight forward. Added MUD rails to the drivers side.

Click image to enlarge
 Disco 3 MY2007
Disco 2 MY 2000
Defender MY2000
110 MY1983
Post #250751 11th Jul 2013 4:51pm
spudfan

Ireland 
I fitted three Exmoor Hi Back middle row seats to a 200 tdi some years ago. Hav'nt got the 200 tdi here as it is in storage (retired). As far as I remember it was very easy to fit the seats. The bases utilised the existing seat frame and the holes in the frame matched up to the new seat bases. The backs just screwed on with the fittings supplied. Your best bet is to contact Exmoor and ask them for instructions. Better still tell them that you are thinking of buying some and wanted to know how much work is involved in fitting them.
Personally I found it a waste to change the bases as the raised sides on the Exmoor bases makes them a little narrow for older children.So just take the Land Rover backs out and use the Exmoor ones. Take the backs out and perhaps you'll see how the Exmoor ones fit on. All I remember is that it was'nt difficult, or I would'nt have done it. 1982 88" 2.25 diesel
1992 110 200tdi csw -Zikali
2008 110 2.4 tdci csw-Zulu
2011 110 2.4 tdci csw-Masai
Post #250817 11th Jul 2013 10:25pm
EirikSH

I called Exmoor and they said they would look to find the instructions, but as I understood the model was discontinued. The seats have been in the shed for a while, and I guess the instructions got lost when we moved last year.

There is a base included, and I think I have figured out how they should go in. Spent the afternoon fitting the forward facing fold-aways in stead, they have also been in the shed for a while.

Ending up with 7 seats in total (from 9).

Click image to enlarge
 Disco 3 MY2007
Disco 2 MY 2000
Defender MY2000
110 MY1983
Post #250822 11th Jul 2013 11:00pm
WarPig

England 1996 Defender 110 300 Tdi USW Bonatti Grey
I fitted a set of Exmoor 2nd row Classic seats to my 300tdi yesterday. I took lots of photos of how I did it, and I have all the instructions. Problem is, ive exceeded my photo bucket bandwidth allowance and can't link any photos until the end of this week Big Cry

I used my existing seat frames and the installation was easy. But my seats were the three individual sests, not the 60/40 split seats that you have. Im guessing you will need to source the three individual seat frames?

There is a metal plate sitting under the leather/fabric of the Exmoor seat sides. Sadly this meant I had to puncture holes through the leather to reveal these holes Shocked Whilst I do have the same brackets as you have in your photo, for now Ive just used the parts from my original seats.

Hopefully in a few days I will be able to post all my photos up here. Can you wait that long?

Meanwhile, heres a couple I have already uploaded to my gallery.

Before...

Click image to enlarge

After...

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

I assume you have these fixings...

Click image to enlarge

For now Ive just used these 5 bolts that came with the seats...

Click image to enlarge

Puncturing the leather to reveal the holes...

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

But I woulldnt go puncturing any holes just yet as it all depends on which brackets you use. I will try and photograph the instructions and post them up tomorrow Thumbs Up
Post #250825 11th Jul 2013 11:31pm
EirikSH

Thanks alot, that's really amazing, just what I was looking for. I can PM you my e-mail if you want to send me some pictures.

A bit worrying is that my kit seems to be missing some of the brackets on your picture, but on the other side they seem to be quite easy to make in the garage. In my kit I also have three seat bases, and as far as I've been to figure out I need to drill a few holes to fit these to the car.

According to the website using the original fittings should increase the legroom in the second row, not sure if that's really the case. Disco 3 MY2007
Disco 2 MY 2000
Defender MY2000
110 MY1983
Post #250833 12th Jul 2013 12:07am
WarPig

PM received, ill send you my photos tonight.
Post #250858 12th Jul 2013 8:44am
WarPig

Right, here goes...

I did purchase a set of the brackets & fixings that you have, to use on my Exmoor seats. But for now I decided to fit them using the replacement fixings that were used on my original seats. I think that the fixings you (and me) have are to allow the backrests to be positioned further back than normal, to give more leg room, and perhaps to allow the backrests to fully recline horizintal? I purchased my Exmoor seats from Trakkers.

Heres a photo of the instructions that came with my Exmoor seats...

And a photo of the only fixings that I used. These replaced the original fixings...

Click image to enlarge

First I removed my 3 individual seats (with frames) from my Defender. Then I removed the plastic shrouds from the two outer seats that cover the fixings...

Click image to enlarge

Starting with one of the outer seats, I removed the back rest by removing the two 13mm bolts (one each side), I also removed the reclining lock bolt (these can be thrown away as Exmoor supply new bolts & washers, but you do need to keep the brass sleeve from the locking bolt?...

Click image to enlarge

Then I turned the seat upside down and removed the two bolts that fix the seat base to the frame...

Click image to enlarge

Now is a good time to clean/paint the seat frames if needed.

Then I offered the new Exmoor seat base upto the frame and refitted it using the two bolts supplied in the fitting kit...

Click image to enlarge

Now to the back rest. On the side of the back rest at the bottom are a number of captive threads, but these are hidden under the leather/fabric. These threads need exposing by puncturing a hole in the leather Big Cry.
Exmoor do supply a template that lets you know where these holes are, and more importantly, which holes need revealing. Depending on which brackets/fixings you are using, depends on which threaded holes you need to reveal (see the instruction sheet photos).

As I was just using the same fixings I had removed from my original seats, I checked which holes I needed to reveal before puncturing through the leather. In fact I checked and double checked about six times Shocked . I then got scared and had to sit down with a cup of tea. Puncturing your nice new leather seats isnt a pleasant experience Shocked

So I took a sharp tool and made the puncture, then widened this puncture with a screwdriver...

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

I then checked that the replacement bolt that fixes the back rest to the seat frame was going to fit into the thread ok. I then removed the bolt.

Click image to enlarge

Now comes a slightly fiddly bit. Somehow you need to offer the back rest upto the frame and pass the bolt through the frame and into the threaded hole youve revealed. But you also need to make sure that you fit one of the supplied white washers inbetween the back rest and the seat frame. Heres a photo of the seat base in place, and the backrest bolt & washer partially in place...

Click image to enlarge

Pass the bolt through the seat frame, through the washer and into the backrest. And then do the same on the other side of the backrest.

Then puncture the hole for the locking bolt that secures the backrest upright.

IMPORTANT - CHECK WHICH SIDE OF THE SEAT YOU NEED TO FIT THIS BOLT, THE OFFSIDE SEAT NEEDS THIS BOLT ON THE OFFSIDE OF THE BACKREST. THE NEARSIDE SEAT NEEDS THIS BOLT ON THE NEARSIDE OF THE BACKREST.

Exmoor supply a new bolt, but you need to retain and reuse the brass sleeve from your existing bolt. Heres a photo of the locking bolt in place (I must have done this before attaching the backrest to the frame)...

Click image to enlarge

And thats the first outer seat done! Now repeat with the other outer seat. The centre seat is the same but obviously doesn't have the reclining locking bolt fitted, because this seat is secured in place by the two outer seats.

I cleaned up the seat box and then fitted my new seats, fitting the centre seat first, followed by the two outer seats.

Now go and make yourself a nice cup of tea.
Post #250972 12th Jul 2013 9:45pm
EirikSH

Wow, thanks alot, that was a good write-up. The photo of the instructions seems to be missing though.

Another issue is that I don't have the template for puncturing the leather, but I could probably figure this out by using the brackets as templates. I will be using the seat bases that came with the kit as the 40/60 won't fit.

I also have a crazy lot of bolts and nuts that came with the kit, and also some lock&key mechanisms. Disco 3 MY2007
Disco 2 MY 2000
Defender MY2000
110 MY1983
Post #250977 12th Jul 2013 9:56pm
WarPig

Ive sent you an email with further info.

Im in the process of adding the instruction photos. If you feel along the side of the backrest at the bottom, you will feel the holes under the fabric. But obviously we arent sure which holes you need for the brackets you have. Paerhaps try getting in touch with Exmoors distributors such as Trakkers, Bearmach, Keith Gott?

http://www.exmoortrim.co.uk/world-wide-distributors.html
http://www.trakkers.co.uk

Last edited by WarPig on 12th Jul 2013 10:25pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #250988 12th Jul 2013 10:20pm
EirikSH

Amazing stuff, thanks again. Will also try to post some pictures as I progress on this project. Disco 3 MY2007
Disco 2 MY 2000
Defender MY2000
110 MY1983
Post #250989 12th Jul 2013 10:24pm
WarPig

Sent you another email Thumbs Up

Heres the instructions. To be honest they arent brilliant, and the photos on them are even worse, but they did the job...

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

This diagram when at full size can act as a template over your backrest sides, showing where the holes are. But you can feel for them with your fingers anyway...

Click image to enlarge
Post #250996 12th Jul 2013 11:08pm
WarPig

Fitted a set of Exmoor Trim nylon seat covers to the 2nd row seats. Its a shame to cover the nice leather permanently but when loading up with camping gear theres a risk of scratching the seats. These covers can be fitted/removed in 5 mins so they work well for me...

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green
Post #257223 8th Aug 2013 12:19pm
LandRoverAnorak

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
They look good. How much were they, Steve?

Oh, and what have you got in the back?? Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia
Post #257225 8th Aug 2013 12:23pm
WarPig

They worked out at about £75 for the set, but with next day postage it came to just over £80. They are made to fit their Classic High & Low back seats.

I'm just in the process of loading up the 110 for out 2 week trip to St Ives, towing the caravan. So in the back there are 3 awnings!!! The ones you can see in the photo are the two annex awnings that zip onto each end of the main awning.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green
Post #257229 8th Aug 2013 12:33pm
LandRoverAnorak

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
Thanks. May have to invest in a set of those myself. I've only just removed the plastic from mine, mainly because it was starting to look tatty. My kids are still of an age where they climb up into them though Rolling Eyes

Have a nice hols Thumbs Up Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia
Post #257233 8th Aug 2013 12:41pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>