↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Roof Rack Decision
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
ozzie1989

Wales 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Bonatti Grey
Roof Rack Decision
Having never thought of fitting a roof rack to the Defender previously I was recently, very kindly, gifted a roof rack by a friend of a family member. I don't think it's genuine, but a copy of the genuine rack.

Now I've done my research and quickly realised that whilst they look great they aren't very practical unless a base is fitted. It also needs some work as there are patches of rust and rusty water running out of it.

Firstly, does anyone know how much it would cost to have it stripped and re-coated?

Secondly, although I don't like the look of them as much, I may be tempted to sell it and put the money towards an aluminium rack. If I do this Bearmach have one on offer at the moment for £400 and wonder if anyone has had experience of fitting / using one? (Link: https://bearmach.com/silver-defender-110-roof-rack-ba-3860)

I have read lots of threads on here regarding which is the best rack but alas the big names would be out of my price range.

Thirdly, I don't often carry things on the roof, but thinking I would if the rack was there rather than struggling with fitting things in the back. Is it easiest to access with a rear ladder or via the bonnet?

Fourthly, if it's the bonnet does anyone make a black chequerplate for the 'puma hump' only rather than the full bonnet?

Thanks for your help Thumbs Up Now: 2010 2.4 TDCi 110 Utility Wagon
Then: 2004 2.5 TD5 90 Hard Top (X-Tech Edition)
Post #688583 24th Feb 2018 12:30pm
ginjez

2011 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 ST Santorini Black
Personally I'd not bother getting it recoated. If rusty water is coming out then it is probably as manky inside too. No experience of the Bearmach rack but I think it would be the better option!
Post #688630 24th Feb 2018 6:21pm
PumaPhil

Wales 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Aintree Green
I have a Flatdog Rax on my Puma, which is a fantastic piece of kit. I use the ladder on the back or stand on one of the rear wheels to load it. I try to keep this car 'shiney' so don't stand, or want to put checker plate on the bonnet.

On my older 90 I have a Brownchurch galvanised rack with ladder - this is great but really needs a floor. This Landy is less shiney, so I have a piece of checker plate on the bonnet and climbing bumper, then bonnet to load the rack is 100 times easier than using the ladder - this ladder and bonnet combination is the better solution in my opinion.
Post #688640 24th Feb 2018 7:27pm
ozzie1989

Thanks ginjez, thought you may say that to be honest!

Phil, I used to use a wheel step which I bought from a local farmers shop, they used to make it in the place next door. It looks as though Sealed have copied their design exactly and now sell one themselves. I found it a lot easier than standing on the wheel itself if it helps.

Click image to enlarge

I adjusted mine so that the step was closer to the top of the tyre though Thumbs Up

Thanks for the advice regarding the rack too! Now: 2010 2.4 TDCi 110 Utility Wagon
Post #688649 24th Feb 2018 8:16pm
PumaPhil

Wales 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Aintree Green
That step looks a good idea, might have to invest in one Thumbs Up
Post #688666 24th Feb 2018 10:00pm
Thon

United Kingdom 
Re: Roof Rack Decision
ozzie1989 wrote:
Thirdly, I don't often carry things on the roof, but thinking I would if the rack was there rather than struggling with fitting things in the back. Is it easiest to access with a rear ladder or via the bonnet?

This may be a controversial view to some but if you've managed this long without it, and it's not often that you might need to use it then my suggestion is to not bother.

They add weight, noise, reduce fuel consumption, raise C of G and unless you have a compelling reason to fit it, I would simply not bother, especially if it is manky and leaking rust. They're also a pain in the ass to fit and remove, and i'm lucky enough to have one that I can do single-handed. I only had mine fitted for the trans-European extravaganza I made last summer, with 2 roof boxes and 3 cargo boxes.

Click image to enlarge

If you do fit one, I would suggest that you have 2 choices - chequerplate on the bumper, bonnet and/or wings, or a ladder. Both have their advantages, but suffice to say I have never fallen off my ladder, but have fallen off the wings twice. My ladder is a specific design that is strapped onto the spare wheel and does not bolt to the body or rack. I have a Mantec wheel carrier which holds the weight.

Unless you're using it regularly I would suggest you give it a pass.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
Post #688679 24th Feb 2018 11:09pm
ozzie1989

Thon, great looking Landy and I love that rear ladder solution! Is that something you made or can your purchase them?

I suppose you are right regarding the rack, it would probably get used once or twice a month. I guess I got excited about having somewhere to mount a rear work light and some front spots, although I can mount them to the body as I had already planned.

The only regular thing I would use it for is step ladders or extending ladders. Other uses would be to put the kids bikes on (but then they're heavy to cart up onto the roof) and occasionally long pipes and trunking.

Most of the above I can get away with roof bars to be fair, but would need to purchase some new ones as I don't use my current Bearmach ones unless I really have to because they are way too fiddly to get on and off. Perhaps if I can find some decent bars that are easy to use I may be swayed in that direction...

Thanks for your wise words though! Now: 2010 2.4 TDCi 110 Utility Wagon
Post #688735 25th Feb 2018 10:29am
Thon

United Kingdom 
It's a Front Runner ladder, and works very well. Probably would work even better if you had a bumperette on the N/S rear crossmember to act as 1st step: -

https://www.frontrunneroutfitters.com/en/d...-step.html

I guess you need to consider your ratio of driving - loaded Vs unloaded. I do a lot of motorway miles and very, very rarely find the need to use it (I also have a trailer) so for me it was a no-brainer. It sounds as if you might get more use out of it than I ever would, and if you don't do mega miles it could be worthwhile for you, but for me it was just (a) drag

Rolling with laughter
Post #688878 25th Feb 2018 9:40pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1