↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Dealership & Sponsor Feedback > JAMES FRENCH STANDLAKE OXFORDSHIRE.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
K9F

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
JAMES FRENCH STANDLAKE OXFORDSHIRE.
Have used this independant for several years and despite moving over an hour away still utilise him today. Excellent service and has picked up warranty work for me in the past. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!

Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

Linky Thingy:

http://www.james-french.co.uk/ If you go through life with your head in the sand....all people will see is an ar5e!!

Treat every day as if it is your last....one day you will be right!!
Post #20140 15th Dec 2009 11:28am
eutek

United Kingdom 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
I got my Defender from him, service was very good. I've been back to get some accessories, and he gave me at a price too good to be refused.

Everyone I have dealt with there has been 100% professional.
Post #27403 18th Mar 2010 9:18pm
TC

United Kingdom 
Mine also came from James French.

First class service, significantly better than any franchised dealer I have dealt with. Would recommend them to anyone.

My 03 TD5 had a dodgy drivers side window which surfaced a week after picking it up; arranged to get the car back over to them. When I arrived, the car went straight into the workshop. Large fresh brew in my hand, I wandered around to the workshop stuck my hed around the door and asked if I could come in - no worries!

Thoroughly enjoyed the couple of hours there, both the lads in the shop new their stuff and you got an instant sense of no bull. A bit of service / customer fault finding traced the prob back to a dodgy switch (there was a brand new window motor at the ready just in case but not needed). They also dealt swiftly with my squeaky clutch problem.

Nice people, know there stuff and certainly do not rush you.

Highly recommended.

Cheers

TC
Post #47761 7th Dec 2010 9:13pm
22900013A

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Keswick Green
This is useful as they are only down the road from me. 2011 110 USW
1973 Series III 1-Ton
1972 Series III 1-Ton Cherrypicker
1969 IIA 1-Ton
1966 IIA 88"
Post #49738 25th Dec 2010 2:30pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
pom

can they do LR warranty work same as a stealer ?

Pom
Post #49763 25th Dec 2010 9:17pm
K9F

pom wrote:

Pom

No independant can!!! The clue's in the 'independant' bit of the title! They will pick up some jobs if it's worthwhile i.e You're paying to have other work/accessories fitted at the same time! If you go through life with your head in the sand....all people will see is an ar5e!!

Post #49786 26th Dec 2010 10:34am
RED-DOT

Scotland 
Their used cars on Ebay seem to be ++% more than anyone else.. has anyone else noticed that? 2008 RS4 gone, 123d M Sport, and a Puma 90 XS..
Post #49831 26th Dec 2010 7:32pm
Lorryman100

RED-DOT wrote:

Their used cars on Ebay seem to be ++% more than anyone else.. has anyone else noticed that?

thats probably down to the high seller fees on fleabay.....
Post #49834 26th Dec 2010 8:24pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
TC

United Kingdom 
I paid what I deemed fair market value for my truck. It wasn't perfect but then again it is a 7 year old used landy!

The after sales is excellent, they know what they are talking about and they don't mess you around.

Mine has had a bit of work done under their own warranty terms and they simply don't quibble. The owner said to me that he just wants his customers to be happy, his team back that up. If you are fair, they will be fair in return. What is really telling is that each time I have been in, there have been numerous people in and out and everyone is on first name terms, this for me shows they pay attention to their customers.

I can see myself in the market for a new Puma in the future, I will without doubt be going to see them to source it, either new or used.

Compared to the average franchise, they are streets ahead; I have no vested interest, I just feel that people like this should be commended and promoted.
Thumbs Up
Post #52985 14th Jan 2011 6:26pm
K9F

TC wrote:
Compared to the average franchise, they are streets ahead; I have no vested interest, I just feel that people like this should be commended and promoted. Thumbs Up

Good point - well presented...'Steve' is the 'head honcho' in the workshop and whatever issue/fault/query you may have he will provide a no nonsense, clear and concise answer over the phone without any commitment to you taking your vehicle to them.
The advice is always given courteously and sensibly with no waffle or bull5hit....The labour rates are far lower than any dealer but the standard of service far exceeds that of the same dealers in my opinion!
In mitigation TH Whites of Wootton Bassett do come very close and are also a helpful amiable bunch....Westovers in Christchurch???? Less said the better but they are 'So far up their own ar535 you find yourself speaking to a pair of heels. If you go through life with your head in the sand....all people will see is an ar5e!!

Post #52995 14th Jan 2011 7:26pm
TC

United Kingdom 
K9F wrote:
TC wrote:
Compared to the average franchise, they are streets ahead; I have no vested interest, I just feel that people like this should be commended and promoted. Thumbs Up

Good point - well presented...'Steve' is the 'head honcho' in the workshop and whatever issue/fault/query you may have he will provide a no nonsense, clear and concise answer over the phone without any commitment to you taking your vehicle to them.
The advice is always given courteously and sensibly with no waffle or bull5hit....The labour rates are far lower than any dealer but the standard of service far exceeds that of the same dealers in my opinion!
In mitigation TH Whites of Wootton Bassett do come very close and are also a helpful amiable bunch....Westovers in Christchurch???? Less said the better but they are 'So far up their own ar535 you find yourself speaking to a pair of heels.

Steve is sound. No bull. You feel that you are in trusted company. Gave me some spot on advice with regards winches only yesterday evening Thumbs Up
Post #53007 14th Jan 2011 8:07pm
Captain Speaking

2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 CSW Tonga Green
I can only echo what everyone else has said about JF. They looked after my D3 and sorted all the usual Censored (faulty tailgate lock, injectors, suspension, turbo blah blah) and then I got my Defender from them. Their retail pricinhg is high, but their attitude is great and service team (especially Steve) excellent.

Good old-fashioned service without the b*llocks you get from a dealer.
Post #151597 24th Jun 2012 12:25am
pjb

I can only reiterate what everyone else has said.

On monday last week I had the misfortune to hit the curbs in a RRS when avoiding a lorry that was determined to drive me off the road.

I hit it so hard that the steerting went from being straight on straight ahead to being nearly 40 degrees off centre.

I prepared for the worst !!

Took car in on tuesday morning without an appointment, they put on a spare set of wheels & tyres as I had fxxked 2 of mine & then put it on 4 wheel alignment to get as near as possible as I needed the car to go to appointment in london.

They did all this whilst I waited & booked the car in on Friday to be sorted.

In on Friday a couple of parts replaced, the wheels refurbed & car back as good as new today

First class service

Regards

Paul 2020 P300 HSE
Post #151845 25th Jun 2012 4:45pm
Lodelaner

United Kingdom 1988 Defender 90 V8 Petrol ST Shire Blue
K9F wrote:
pom wrote:

Pom

No independant can!!! The clue's in the 'independant' bit of the title! They will pick up some jobs if it's worthwhile i.e You're paying to have other work/accessories fitted at the same time!

Sorry to pick up an old thread, but Independants can do warranty work as LR pay a fixed warranty labour rate. They just need to be VAT registered. JB

@Lodelaner Instagram

Youtube greenlaning and other LR related content
Post #151852 25th Jun 2012 5:11pm
JSG

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
They are the best independant I've ever used. I traded my old TD5 110 CSW in for a P38 with them and got a very good price.

I had a few problems with the P38 and they sorted them out quickly with no quibbles at all. I'd use them for servicing the Defender over any other independant. John

http://www.hampshire4x4response.co.uk

2011 Tdci 110 CSW XS
Post #151872 25th Jun 2012 6:00pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>