↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Technical > ABS mod problems
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
JWL

England 2002 Defender 110 Td5 SW Coniston Green
ABS mod problems
I've got my ABS unit all apart ready to sort out the joining of the wires but..........the guide for a Defender has different wire colours to the Discovery. On the Discovery it's a yellow/green wire on the Defender??????????????
Post #263400 3rd Sep 2013 3:09pm
JWL

I carried on with the mod of re-routing the wiring within the modulator block to the solonoids after a bit of detective work with the trusty multimeter and perusing the wiring diagrams of Defenders and Discovery 2s on the t'internet. Hopefully I've got it right, well it all seems to work properly, the ABS and the TC work when asked to. The lights are out, just hope they stay out. It has been taking a couple of days from resetting to the fault code reappearing so time will tell.
For anyone who is interested it seems that the Discovery wire that you are replacing is the green/yellow one to pin 9 on the multiplug. On the Defender it seems to be the red/slate going to the same pin.
When I took mine apart I have a feeling that instead of the pins failing on the printed circuit board, the wires from the solonoids to the two pin plug were looking a bit suspect

Click image to enlarge

There was some serious cracking of the insulation and when I cut the wire and stripped it back to solder some new to it the strands were very black and appeared very brittle.
I must admit that the job was a complete a**e to actually get at, I had to take off the snorkle and assume the position of a contortionist to get to what I wanted to get to. It has been mentioned on another thread about accessibility of the two 10mm nuts at the back, I undid the 13mm nuts holding the frame plate fixing the whole unit to the inner wing, then I could tease the whole thing round on the still attached brake pipes to get a socket on the other nuts.
I have got more photos if anybody wants any more information. Whilst it is not a job that can be done in an hour, it's a damn sight more realistic than replacing the whole modulator unit at silly money.
Post #263602 4th Sep 2013 12:31am
zone30

Belgium 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 X-Tech LE Nara Bronze
Impressed Bow down
Post #263607 4th Sep 2013 5:55am
jimbob7

Cheers fella! Thumbs Up
Post #263689 4th Sep 2013 1:49pm
Skye_Rover

Scotland 1998 Defender 110 300 Tdi CSW Cairns Blue
More photos would be great! Do you have any ideas what might be causing the blackening? Does it look like fluid contamination, or just high currents in the affected wires? Roads? Where we're going, we don't need roads.
Post #263870 5th Sep 2013 12:03am
JWL

Well the damn lights came back on tonight, I haven't checked with the Nanocom yet but will be surprised if it's not the same problem. Tomorrow I'll go over the external connections as the join to the loom is a temporary affair and recheck that the earth is a good one. I'll double check the continuity to the under seat box as well to double check before I pull the modulator out again. The wires that were to the solonoids were dry from any oil contamination, more like the blacking you find on wires that have been exposed to the elements, the photo I put up shows that the plastic casing has had what looks like a dunking in good old Salisbury Plain(don't know how that got there Whistle ) I did have to dig a fair amount of the stuff out of the inner wing to enable me to get to the bolts holding the snorkle on so I'm not surprised it's got in there as well.
First off I'll get some new batteries for the multi meter so I can trust the readings I get as the low battery warning icon coming up on the display. I can't believe that it is high voltages going through the wires, more the fact of the contamination of the dirt, the heat that is generated under the bonnet as there is not much of an air flow round the modulator where it is situated along with the vibration of the unit when it is active. Look closely at the casing in the photo and you'll see the plastic moulding date mark of March 2001, the motor was built in January 2002 then on the road in May 2002, there's 160k on the clock and it does get used as an everyday motor and I'm not shy in using it to its full potential so as we all know things don't last forever Rolling Eyes
Post #263872 5th Sep 2013 1:43am
jimbob7

Eek,sorry to hear it,keep us updated.
Post #263890 5th Sep 2013 8:37am
Skye_Rover

Scotland 1998 Defender 110 300 Tdi CSW Cairns Blue
Yep, that's bad news. Sounds like the wiring is just old and corroded, so worth cutting right back and replacing with new. It never seems to solder properly otherwise, and is brittle. Just like an underbonnet harness on a Renault... Whistle better suited to conducting water than electrical charge Whistle Roads? Where we're going, we don't need roads.
Post #264145 6th Sep 2013 12:24am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1