↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Technical > Would fitting an intercooler on its own make much difference
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
BigWheels

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Tonga Green
Would fitting an intercooler on its own make much difference
Would a bigger intercooler by itelf make much difference to engine performance?

As its just plumbing, not electronics?

Add a better filter or two, for low tech DIY, any better still? Land Rover Defenders. 67 years heritage, minimal appearance changes, still going strong all over the world. Not a fashion vehicle, but fashionable to own. Made for the needy, not the greedy. Ta ta Defender
Post #241986 8th Jun 2013 4:05pm
wyvern

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Firenze Red
Hi Big Wheels
as a non tech type person - I found that taking all of 10 mins to re-map the engine made an masive diffrence to the drive of the wagon, and probably worked out cheper than doing any mechanical upgrades. (taking into account manhours, tools, new parts, bandages for cuts ...etc Embarassed )

I'm not a spanner user - so have very basic skills, but even I was able to perform the BAS remap on the 110 and am loving the new found power and boost that the beast now produces!

I'm sure that there will be others that can give you a more balanced answer on the mechanical side, but I would opt for a remap first personnaly, for me that was the low tech option. Poppy - TDCI (Puma) 110XS 2.2 - Camper conversion - see the build here - https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic56530.html
Elgar -TDCI(Puma) 110XS Dormobile - now sold
Devon & Cornwall 4x4 Response - DC126
Post #242001 8th Jun 2013 5:23pm
Naks

South Africa 2010 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 SW Alpine White
Re: Would fitting an intercooler on its own make much differ
BigWheels wrote:

Yes, since you'd be supplying cooler & more air to the engine. --
2010 Defender Puma 90 + BAS remap + Alive IC + Slickshift + Ashcroft ATB rear
2015 Range Rover Sport V8 Supercharged

Defender Puma Workshop Manual: https://bit.ly/2zZ1en9
Discovery 4 Workshop Manual: https://bit.ly/2zXrtKO
Range Rover/Sport L320/L322/L494 Workshop Manual: https://bit.ly/2zc58JQ
Post #242179 9th Jun 2013 10:03am
borderterrier

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Aintree Green
BigWheels wrote:

Add a better filter or two, for low tech DIY, any better still?

Th efull width Alisport one I fitted to my 300tdi Defender made a huge difference. Better acceleration and fuel economy and generally drove better in all gears.
Post #242184 9th Jun 2013 10:14am
WarPig

England 1996 Defender 110 300 Tdi USW Bonatti Grey
borderterrier wrote:

Th efull width Alisport one I fitted to my 300tdi Defender made a huge difference. Better acceleration and fuel economy and generally drove better in all gears.

Where did you buy your Allisport 300tdi intercooler from please?
Post #242186 9th Jun 2013 10:20am
borderterrier

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Aintree Green
It got it second hand from a breakers in Dorset. I took it off myself, washed it out with petrol, had a tiny crack welded and fitted it. Made a great difference Very Happy
Post #242193 9th Jun 2013 10:39am
Egghead

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Java Black
I'm assuming you mean without a remap or anything... just an uprated intercooler? I would have thought at the very least you would need to tweak and optimise the fuel injector to get the appropriate benefit. Seeing as an intercooler is not cheap (presume you are looking at Allisport or Serck?) then you are already laying out the dosh and may as well spend that little bit extra for the further enhancements (turbo, fuel injector), and then definitely remap it to finish! You'll be burning off BMWs and GTIs as well as burning through plenty of fuel. Mr. Green
Post #242208 9th Jun 2013 12:25pm
Lambley

United Kingdom 2006 Defender 90 Td5 HT Java Black
I put a larger intercooler on my Td5 with silicon hoses, a free flowing exhaust, EGR removal etc etc. I didn't notice any difference until it was mapped a few days after. I was told the larger intercooler would just help the power if fitted with a remap and a boost box, until then it'd just look pretty, it certainly helps with the efficiency of the engine though, makes it run 'nicer' and may help it last longer due to keeping it at reasonable temps.
I had a stage 1 tune but with a boost box and larger intercooler etc, I didn't want to push the engine any harder, just make it more efficient with better torque etc, plus it's definitely made it more economical. I've also changed the transfer box to 1.2 gears, the fuel economy has gone from around 28 to 35mpg plus it's now quieter, smoother and nicer to drive.
Post #242215 9th Jun 2013 12:53pm
spudfan

Ireland 
In the early 1990's I fitted an Allard intercooler to our 90 turbo diesel. Can't say I noticed any huge difference. Maybe a little extra power and slight increase in MPG but nothing catastrophic. 1982 88" 2.25 diesel
1992 110 200tdi csw -Zikali
2008 110 2.4 tdci csw-Zulu
2011 110 2.4 tdci csw-Masai
Post #242237 9th Jun 2013 2:55pm
bell-auto-services

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
BigWheels wrote:

Add a better filter or two, for low tech DIY, any better still?

I did some intercooler tests a couple of weeks ago on a non Ac Defender 2.4 110, I dynoed it before and after fitting an Allisport intercooler standard and in remaped tuned form.

The intercooler on its own did make the power delivery and spool time a little less on the untuned car than without it as its a lot more free flowing than the standard cooler and of course it did help with inlet charge cooling also.

The extra power gaines on a NON remapped car was small and its best gain given came on the remaped car where it helped again to deliver yet more torque faster and also gave an efficent cooling to the charge. overall its best benefits from fitting were gained on a remaped car where it gave more power to the engine with the same remap than without it fitted which did prove its worth.

As previousley said in this thread I personaly feel the first power gain modification should be a remap and moving on from that is intercoolers, turbos etc etc.

Regards Pete
Post #242242 9th Jun 2013 3:04pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Egghead

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Java Black
bell-auto-services wrote:
I did some intercooler tests a couple of weeks ago on a non Ac Defender 2.4 110, I dynoed it before and after fitting an Allisport intercooler standard and in remaped tuned form.
As previousley said in this thread I personaly feel the first power gain modification should be a remap and moving on from that is intercoolers, turbos etc etc.

Immaculate work as ever Pete and very much appreciated! Wouldn't the remap be best after adding the engine mods though? That colder, denser air from the better intercooler will almost certainly help out with the efficiency and surely a tailored remap can capitalise on that - or does the remap not take that into account and is just a generic remap for the standard engine? - In which case I will just plump for a remap now rather than continue saving for the uprated intercooler and turbo upgrades first! Whistle
Post #242798 11th Jun 2013 5:28pm
bell-auto-services

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
the engine sensors take over and do the finaladjustments for the quicker and coler air so a cooler can be fitted before or after a remap.
Post #242803 11th Jun 2013 5:44pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
BigWheels

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Tonga Green
Can you recommend a remap to give more torque at lower rpm. I'm not interested in better bhp or acceleration so much as torque.

I don't want too much extra torque (or power) to require replacing OE parts (except intercooler), as they are all fine at present... Land Rover Defenders. 67 years heritage, minimal appearance changes, still going strong all over the world. Not a fashion vehicle, but fashionable to own. Made for the needy, not the greedy. Ta ta Defender
Post #242877 11th Jun 2013 10:14pm
Rakthi

2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 HCPU Stornoway Grey
Hi BigWheels, the new map from BAS does exactly that. And as a bonus you get better acceleration . Up to you if you use that bit of it or not, just a matter of controlling the right foot. Performance wise, this all I have done to the truck so far, no OE parts changed.

Check out this thread:
http://defender2.co.uk/forum/topic20337.html
Post #242901 12th Jun 2013 3:45am
bvandyk

bell-auto-services wrote:

Maybe in the UK, but in the warmer climates, like Africa, it's a whole different ball game. On a warm day my Puma would drop to below 100km/h on a slight up hill.
Fitted a locally intercooler, and man - what a difference. I can do 130km/h on exactly the same road now, same conditions, etc. I wouldnt say more power really, but definitely more driveable, especially on a warmish day.
Post #244628 18th Jun 2013 1:52pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1