↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Rear Sliding Windows Jamming
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Egghead

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Java Black
Rear Sliding Windows Jamming
Went to the races today and the kids found playing on and in the Land Rover more fun than the horses, and consequently I now need to clean it inside and out! Another issue I found was that they had jammed the rear windows open - no matter how much I tried I could not shut them which was a tad annoying once the rain started Mad

Back home I had a close look at them and found the felt that lines the sill tracks to be moving and crumpling/folding in on itself, and also some plastic/metal fittings on one of the sills was moving too. After a lot of swearing and trying to heave the window back and forth, I decided the gentler approach with a bit of grey matter might solve it... I have photographed my efforts in case it helps anybody.

Basically I used a small flat head screw driver to move the felt lining back along the sill channels. The point of a dart or perhaps a small knife blade could also do the trick. I then used the screwdriver to hold the felt in place whilst I gently closed the window shut. There is a small gap near the upper rear of the window which enabled me to pin the felt in place whilst closing the window.

Window open.

Window closing - felt travelling with the window and crumpling up.

Part of the fittings also moving with the window opening.

A large gap where the felt has been dragged back as the window was opened.

Using the tiny flat head screw driver to prise the felt along the channel back into its original position before attempting to close the window.

The gap in the upper rear of the window behind the handle mechanism where I could pin the felt in place whist trying to shut it carefully.

Now it is shut I am at least happy the Defender is closed from the elements again and (slightly) less easy for a thief to gain entry. I realise however that simply closing the window does not prevent the rain pouring in through the roof or anywhere else the Defender loves to allow water ingress. Neutral

I will undoubtedly suffer this issue again when I or someone else next opens the window but at least I will not be in such a wobble about not being able to shut it again. I now need to find a way of removing the windows and fixing the felt more permanently to avoid this problem every time a window is opened... Whistle

Egghead
(And yes, the driveway does need a bit of weeding!)
Post #235027 12th May 2013 9:44pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1