↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Camping, Caravanning and Holidays > France, road trip/ places to see, visit.. Advice please?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
TJ101

Isle Of Man 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Montalcino Red
Hard to beat the Pyrenees for driving, this time of year Thumbs Up

On the Santandar boat Friday for 10/14 days or so California F1, 75th 110 "Kermit", 50th Ann V8, 90 V8 Hybrid, 55 Series 1

Main Brian James Trailer Dealer for South West UK
Post #235945 15th May 2013 9:52pm
GREENI

United Kingdom 
I think we may be heading for Annercy now. The Gorge du Verdon was a fave along with the Loire Valley.
If only we didnt have to go to work, I could do all the places.
Post #235978 16th May 2013 6:31am
MartinK

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Orkney Grey
GREENI wrote:
I think we may be heading for Annercy now. The Gorge du Verdon was a fave.

Annecy is lovely Thumbs Up

Had a couple of holidays there. Great for cycling (I know you're a mountain biker Thumbs Up ) - there's a good tarred cycle track down most of the West side of the lake for family cycling.

On the East bank, there's a nice forest with some awesome natural trails for the bike (near Menthon St Bernard).

Also in the woods on the West side there's an assault course in the wood (near where that family was shot a while ago I think), good for a morning fitness regime.

If you're into a bit of rock climbing there's also a bolted wall at the SW end of the lake (near one of the campsites).

It's a pity the cycle track doesn't go all around the lake, but as I remember there's some pretty busy and narrow roads on the E side aroudn veyrier.

If you're getting self catering (or camping) the East side has the best evening sun...the west side goes into shade early in the evening.

I'm jealous Defender "Puma" 2.4 110 County Utility (possibly the last of the 2.4's)
Post #235988 16th May 2013 7:19am
AndyS

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Sumatra Black
From Aneccy, point the car towards La Clusaz. That's a mighty fine place to have a coffee and wander around, just a short ride from Aneccy but you'll notice the temperature drop. Head out to Les Coffins and to the end of that road if you want a drive to a secluded spot. From there, head back to La Clusaz then up over the hill, east, and set the controls for Mont Blanc. That'll take you through some mountain roads, little villages, along roads standing on stilts and on to Chamonix. It's all good.

This is up the road past Des Coffins, the road continues up past that house on the other side of the hill and on to a lake with a cabin for staying the night (which we didn't get to because the mother-in-law, in the picture, didn't like driving off road).

Click image to enlarge
Post #236152 16th May 2013 8:14pm
GREENI

United Kingdom 
So she just needed a nudge over the cliff Question Whistle Laughing

Thanks Andy, it's on the list Cool

MartinK, I know I can rely on you for good advice Bow down You inspired my Highlands trip, which inspired others.

Cheers.
Post #236157 16th May 2013 8:29pm
keith

Scotland 
Make sure you don't end up paying the road tolls as a TRUCK . First time I toured France in a defender I couldn't understand why all the toll charges were around €20 ? Untill I realised that I was pressing the top ticket button for HGV's
Post #236169 16th May 2013 9:06pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12