↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > My Defender > What Did You Do In Your Defender Today
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1258 of 1366 <123 ... 125712581259 ... 136413651366>
Print this entire topic · 
LandymanStefan

England 2001 Defender 90 Td5 SW Epsom Green
Finished product. Bolted in with m4 countersunk bolts, didnt drill the top hole as i couldnt get my sausage fingers underneath the re inforcing bar to get a nut under there. If i really wanted to i could put at self tapper in but it really doesnt need it.

The sticker on the fuel pump is from the year 2000 so now im ready for doomsday

Edit have now put the carpet and rubber mat back. The is a very slight bulge in the floor but not noticable. I am planning to do the entire floor with silentcoat 3mm anyway so that should make it even less noticable.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
Post #823469 5th Apr 2020 12:03pm
Supacat

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS DCPU Keswick Green
A useful mod, sort of thing JLR should have been doing from the get go ~ although why the whole floor panel shouldn't have been able to be removed is beyond me?
Post #823495 5th Apr 2020 3:54pm
Tilly

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Indus Silver
Cleaned the freelander as it was filthy. It’s abit tatty up close but has 150k on the clock now and it never lets us down.

Click image to enlarge

Where as the defender has starting problems and always seems to have a flat battery. 3 years of ownership I though I need to pull my finger out and figure it out. Constantly pulling about 130mA when doing nothing.

Click image to enlarge

After pulling many fuses it appears to be an issue with the 12s socket wiring for a caravan. I never use it so pulled the fuse and current draw was 100mA less instantly. The wiring disappears up over the rear cross member before coming back down to the socket so assuming there is a relay up there somewhere which is causing a fault. Fingers crossed 🤞.
Post #823499 5th Apr 2020 4:19pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
Supacat wrote:
A useful mod, sort of thing JLR should have been doing from the get go ~ although why the whole floor panel shouldn't have been able to be removed is beyond me?

I suppose in the strange world of modern Landrovers, when decisions are made purely on financial grounds rather than on the basis of good engineering, reliability, and maintainability, the numbers for a design change either to put an access panel or make the floor removable just don't stack up.

In the factory, the tank and plumbing is fitted to the chassis before the body, so no access issues. Once the vehicle is out of warranty, the customer is paying (up to £120 per hour) for the tank to be dropped or the body to be removed to access the tank. So the only cost to LR is the cost of warranty repairs which involve tank access, which I imagine are few and far between. I can't imagine that anyone has actually decided not to buy a Defender because of the poor access to the tank, so it has cost nothing in sales.

In the "good old days" the design team would have done it on the basis that it was "the right thing to do", whcih of course it is, but those days sadly are long gone.

I have to say that this is without doubt the neatest and most professional-looking access-hole modification I have yet seen, and a link to the marine fitting would be appreciated.

(I suspect also that I have over analysed this somewhat, I can only attribute this behaviour to the onset of cabin fever as a result of prolonged solitary confinement).
Post #823514 5th Apr 2020 5:50pm
LandymanStefan

But then why would they put a hatch in a discovery 2 and not the defender?

The hatch is called a ‘marine port’ or ‘marine hatch’ it’s a 200mm version which is the inside diameter of the hole. I got this on off eBay for £16 inc post. If you pay a bit more you can get a black one. You can buy them from marine shops but when I was looking, by the time you added the post they were more expensive. I hope this helps.
Post #823527 5th Apr 2020 6:38pm
JoolsB

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Orkney Grey
I made myself a comfy armrest as after I fitted the seat risers, the lid was a bit low for in-traffic slouching.

Click image to enlarge
Post #823545 5th Apr 2020 7:43pm
Zed

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Santorini Black
LandymanStefan wrote:

The hatch is called a ‘marine port’ or ‘marine hatch’ it’s a 200mm version which is the inside diameter of the hole. I got this on off eBay for £16 inc post. If you pay a bit more you can get a black one. You can buy them from marine shops but when I was looking, by the time you added the post they were more expensive. I hope this helps.

Great solution. Excellent work. WARNING.
This post may contain sarcasm.
Post #823546 5th Apr 2020 7:55pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
Tilly - As I think you’ve pretty much sussed that sounds like an energised Relay coil at that current draw to me. Standard 4 pin relays draw around that current in standard form.
It’s not a cert, but sounds like it to me. Diesels Lives Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️
And if You Love the Country, then we’re on the same side ~
I got’ love for Britain, I got’ British pride’. 🇬🇧
Post #823549 5th Apr 2020 8:07pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
LandymanStefan wrote:

Good question! Perhaps because the Disco 2 was designed from the start with this arrangement of tank whereas the Defender rear tub predates the TD5 fuel tank by nearly 40 years. I don't suppose we'll ever really know.
Post #823564 5th Apr 2020 8:47pm
HardCharger

2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Stornoway Grey
blackwolf wrote:
Supacat wrote:

I suppose in the strange world of modern Landrovers, when decisions are made purely on financial grounds rather than on the basis of good engineering, reliability, and maintainability, the numbers for a design change either to put an access panel or make the floor removable just don't stack up.

In the factory, the tank and plumbing is fitted to the chassis before the body, so no access issues. Once the vehicle is out of warranty, the customer is paying (up to £120 per hour) for the tank to be dropped or the body to be removed to access the tank. So the only cost to LR is the cost of warranty repairs which involve tank access, which I imagine are few and far between. I can't imagine that anyone has actually decided not to buy a Defender because of the poor access to the tank, so it has cost nothing in sales.

In the "good old days" the design team would have done it on the basis that it was "the right thing to do", whcih of course it is, but those days sadly are long gone.

I have to say that this is without doubt the neatest and most professional-looking access-hole modification I have yet seen, and a link to the marine fitting would be appreciated.

(I suspect also that I have over analysed this somewhat, I can only attribute this behaviour to the onset of cabin fever as a result of prolonged solitary confinement).

I might consider doing this as well. Details appreciated.
Post #823611 6th Apr 2020 7:34am
LandymanStefan

Edit: I've made a how to https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic71836.html

Heres the original youtube video i got the details from myself
&t=
Post #823628 6th Apr 2020 8:38am
Adammacky

United Kingdom 
Changed my front end...

Before...

Click image to enlarge

After...

Click image to enlarge

Svx grill for sale if anyone's interested Thumbs Up
Post #823911 7th Apr 2020 4:43pm
GREENI

United Kingdom 
You sir, have my utter respect. Bow down
Post #823912 7th Apr 2020 4:50pm
LandymanStefan

Much much better
Post #823915 7th Apr 2020 5:01pm
keith

Scotland 

Click image to enlarge

Whilst trim and carpets were up, It’s about time I installed rear view camera. Permanent live so on when driving. I didn’t like the centre dash position so top corner is outa the way without impeding forward view.
Stacey007 did a great install https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic46246...iew+camera
and I bought the same camera as him but didn’t like the No. plate position so used the rear washer hole top centre. Iv never used the rear wiper or washer anyway so a great place with exceptional view. Power was taken from behind corner speaker.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
Post #823926 7th Apr 2020 5:46pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1258 of 1366 <123 ... 125712581259 ... 136413651366>