↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > My Defender > What Did You Do In Your Defender Today
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1255 of 1370 <123 ... 125412551256 ... 136813691370>
Print this entire topic · 
ChrisDefender

United Kingdom 
Thanks to the help and advice given to MarcusM in another thread, I managed to get the bolts out of the tub/x member and swapped them all over for stainless. Looks much better, and with a bit of WD-40 and Anti-Seize on the new ones only took 40 mins Very Happy

Also managed to get the grill and surrounds sanded, prepped and coated in Raptor to match my rear bumperettes and side steps, should look good when dried back left for a few days to go off - hopefully no need to keep applying stuff to keep them looking non-faded now. If it all goes wrong, I will just stick the originals back on!

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Last edited by ChrisDefender on 2nd Apr 2020 1:19pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #822784 1st Apr 2020 6:04pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
Grill and light trims are looking good.

You'd be better using a ceramic anti-seize such as Weicon that copperslip if you ever want to get your stainless fasteners out in the future.
Post #822786 1st Apr 2020 6:12pm
ChrisDefender

United Kingdom 
Hi mate,

Thank you. I like it. Not everyones cup of tea I suspect, but it still looks pretty original, just slightly textured as oppsed to faded and weathered!

Ah, OK. It was the anti seize stuff that came with the stainless kit, silver in colour as opposed to the copper of copper grease, in little sachets (from 4x4 overland). I will see if I can get some of the stuff you say and swap them over again!

Re above, just looked and its the Berner Anti-Seize stuff I have put on so hopefully should be OK! Thanks for your advice.

Cheers.

Last edited by ChrisDefender on 2nd Apr 2020 1:20pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #822789 1st Apr 2020 6:34pm
Zed

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Santorini Black
Berner stuff is decent.

Nice job. WARNING.
This post may contain sarcasm.
Post #822792 1st Apr 2020 6:59pm
blackwolf

Yup, that's fine, it was the words "copper slip" that fooled me. If it was supplied by Nak or Brendan it'll be the right stuff.
Post #822800 1st Apr 2020 7:40pm
donmacn

Why would you not use copper slip with stainless? I have a tub of the Weicon stuff I use if using stainless, but I did find myself wondering the other day if coppaslip would be just as good.

Is it because another metal is being added, and some other periodic table trickery? Donald

1994 Defender 300Tdi 110 SW - owned since 2002 - 230k miles and going strong
(The 'rolling restoration' or tinkering thread: http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic58538.html )
2000 Range Rover P38 4.0L V8

in the past..
RR classic - fitted with 200Tdi
1984 RR classic - V8 with ZF auto box
1993 Discovery 300Tdi

not to mention the minis and the Type 2 VW camper...
Post #822802 1st Apr 2020 7:45pm
blackwolf

There are other threads on here where people have explained it better than I can, but adding a third metal into the equation cannot be helpful. I know from my own experience (especially with my Patriot rack) that (a) copperslip really doesn't seem to stop stainless fittings cold welding themselves into aluminium and (b) I personally will never use a stainless threaded fastener on a Defender if I can help it, abominable things!

I accept that this is my personal opinion and there are many fans of them on here, but the hours I have spent drilling the blasted things out of my Patriot rack to replace them with BZP 8.8 steel (which don't cold weld themselves in place) have coloured my perspective.
Post #822805 1st Apr 2020 7:58pm
donmacn

OK - I had started using SS in some places before picking up on the discussions of their suitability or otherwise; and independently of the forum I'd started to wonder if they were contributing to aluminium corrosion. So I'd then begun using nylon washers and duralac as a barrier.

Also a friend who was a mechanical engineer did once say not to use them where the active force was along the axis of the bolt - specifically tow ball mounting bolts. He reckoned they'd be OK where the force was across the bolt.

Vaguely back on topic... I did nothing to my Defender today apart from adding more plusgas to the drop arm splines and the drag link ball joint. Though I did also take delivery of my Gwyn Lewis ...stainless steel... sumo bars! Donald

1994 Defender 300Tdi 110 SW - owned since 2002 - 230k miles and going strong
(The 'rolling restoration' or tinkering thread: http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic58538.html )
2000 Range Rover P38 4.0L V8

in the past..
RR classic - fitted with 200Tdi
1984 RR classic - V8 with ZF auto box
1993 Discovery 300Tdi

not to mention the minis and the Type 2 VW camper...
Post #822829 1st Apr 2020 9:12pm
90 Dreamer

United Kingdom 2016 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Corris Grey
I personally would not use SS in any kind of stressed application.........OK for show if you want that sort of thing
Post #822849 1st Apr 2020 10:03pm
Co1

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Loire Blue
I’m not sure I get the reticence to use stainless over steel from a strength perspective? Commonly used A2-70 SS bolts are 700N/mm2 tensile strength, which falls in between grade 5.8 and 8.8 MS bolts. The point being more than enough tensile capacity for anything at all on a Landrover, including the tow hitch. The trick is to torque them up correctly, which goes without saying whatever you use.
Post #822868 2nd Apr 2020 6:13am
ZeDefender

Germany 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Baltic Blue
Okay - not what I've actually done but rather what I'm going to attempt...

Click image to enlarge

At least I already know I'll have problems, as everything is totally rusted and two of the A-Bar torx screws had chewed heads when I fitted the intercooler Rolling Eyes Tell someone you love them today because life is short.
But shout it at them in German because life is also terrifying and confusing...
Post #822871 2nd Apr 2020 6:59am
ZeDefender

Germany 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Baltic Blue
Incidentally, on the topic of bi/trimetallic corrosion, I have used Duralac for 8 years between steel/aluminium/stainless and never once had corrosion. Amazing stuff... Tell someone you love them today because life is short.
But shout it at them in German because life is also terrifying and confusing...
Post #822874 2nd Apr 2020 7:22am
LandRoverAnorak

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
Co1 wrote:
I’m not sure I get the reticence to use stainless over steel from a strength perspective? Commonly used A2-70 SS bolts are 700N/mm2 tensile strength, which falls in between grade 5.8 and 8.8 MS bolts. The point being more than enough tensile capacity for anything at all on a Landrover, including the tow hitch. The trick is to torque them up correctly, which goes without saying whatever you use.

I'm not sure that it's quite that straightforward as stainless steel tends to be more brittle, for want of a better technical description, meaning it will fail more quickly as it reaches it's already typically lower load limit. For that reason, I wouldn't use them in areas likely to suffer shock loading such as towing or recovery points, for example. However, I agree that there are lots of LR applications where they're perfectly acceptable if installed with appropriate barriers between them and aluminium.

Through my work, I've got some experience of using stainless steel bolts in harsh environments and the stress corrosion cracking that can result. By comparison, use on a LR even when exposed to water and road salt is pretty benign as long as separation of dissimilar metals is observed. As with ZeDefender above, I've had a lot of success with Duralac and strategically placed nylon washers. Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia
Post #822882 2nd Apr 2020 8:24am
ChrisDefender

United Kingdom 
Quick tip for thse who hate rattles!

If you check your front grill (standard type) it will probably rattle at the top edge where it hooks under the metalwork.

I have just refurbished mine so while I am waiting for them to cure for a few days, I have added some heat shrink to the little tabs on the back that go under the metalwork to close the gap, and - no more rattle.

Click image to enlarge
Post #822935 2nd Apr 2020 1:17pm
Smilesapart

United Kingdom 
ZeDefender wrote:
Okay - not what I've actually done but rather what I'm going to attempt...

Click image to enlarge

At least I already know I'll have problems, as everything is totally rusted and two of the A-Bar torx screws had chewed heads when I fitted the intercooler Rolling Eyes

Lovely looking Beetle I'm seeing in the background there! Thumbs Up
Post #822953 2nd Apr 2020 3:29pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1255 of 1370 <123 ... 125412551256 ... 136813691370>