↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Defender expedition fitout
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
216lcg

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Java Black
Defender expedition fitout
I have spend the past few months getting my Defender 90 prepared for an overland trip to Morocco. I have had my 2007 Puma 90 XS since new but have never used it in anger so thought it was time to do so. I bought a Howling Moon Stargazer which sits on Thule roof bars. The rear seats have been removed (I think finding out how to do this was my first post on this site)and I have had some drawers made: the bottom set being full length and the top set being half length to enable me to fit an Engel fridge on runners along the bottom so it can be moved along to access the drawer behind.The drawers are bolted to the existing rear seat bracket holes in the body using some bespoke brackets. I have also had a 55l water tank made which sits on the top shelf and is strapped down.There is a dual battery system fitted to ensure the fridge does not kill the whole machine and i have run with for a few days with no problem starting the land rover there after. Almost everything has been done to avoid having to modify any part of the land rover permanently so it can, if ever required be put back to original xs spec with no evidence of modifications. The only exceptions to this is the addition of an addit fuse box for use with the second battery and 3x 12v sockets: one utilizing the existing wiring by the rear door and one either side in the trim under the side windows.

I have taken a few photos but have no way of adding these (have read how to do this but do not have access to any remote sites for linking them). If anyone could help I would very happily forward them.

Best Regards,
Post #232833 5th May 2013 1:48pm
Phoenix90

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Stornoway Grey
You can upload them to the gallery on this site, click gallery up the top of the web page and follow instructions for setting one up Thumbs Up
Post #232843 5th May 2013 2:30pm
wyvern

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Firenze Red
Re: Defender expedition fitout
216lcg wrote:
I have spend the past few months getting my Defender 90 prepared for an overland trip to Morocco. I have had my 2007 Puma 90 XS since new but have never used it in anger so thought it was time to do so.,

Now that you have started - you'll never finish!! Laughing
its a bug to get the wagon the way you want it to be and it will be a 'work in progress' for the rest of time!
we are on our 3rd defender over the last 20 yrs and are always 'tweaking' the set up to suit the 'next trip'!

I've just bought some hi-lift jack mounts (thanks to BPman), some window security grills (thanks to Brendon) Jate rings, had a re-map (thanks Pete) and upgraded the sat nav to a Samsung note to run co-pilot and View Ranger this month alone (not to mention paying the road tax!! Shocked Shocked )
Next will be cruise control ... Cool
all this in addition to the Dormobile kit in the wagon already ...! Embarassed
We're off to do some trips in the UK this month then looking at a longer trip to Rome and then to N Spain , so once the bug bites - you're hooked!
Thumbs Up
looking forward to seeing your photos
(I post mine in my Gallery as Phoenix said.. easiest way) Poppy - TDCI (Puma) 110XS 2.2 - Camper conversion - see the build here - https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic56530.html
Elgar -TDCI(Puma) 110XS Dormobile - now sold
Devon & Cornwall 4x4 Response - DC126
Post #232849 5th May 2013 2:56pm
216lcg

Done. Only one for now. But will take some more and post. Thanks for all the help.
Post #232851 5th May 2013 3:05pm
Phoenix90

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Stornoway Grey
Looking good - I really need to make a draw system for the back of mine at some point.

When are you off to Morocco? Are you going with a group or self organised?
Post #232856 5th May 2013 3:51pm
Pam W

England 1998 Defender 90 Td5 SW Auto Oslo Blue
May have been reading it wrong, but to me it sounds like you are carrying quite a lot of weight higher up in the load bay - ie, fridge on top of drawer plus 55l of water on top shelf. With the addition of the roof tent this sounds like you've got quite a high centre of gravity, which is not advisable. Are you putting really heavy things in the drawers to compensate for this?
Just a thought.... But otherwise Thumbs Up Our blog - http://landytravels.com/

Yorkshire Off Road Club - http://www.yorkshireoffroadclub.net
Post #232870 5th May 2013 4:35pm
216lcg

Phoenix90, am going alone as part of a 3 month trip heading for Morocco to start but thereafter just playing it by ear. Am not quite sure where else I will go (if anywhere in N Africa) but thought Greece and some of the islands might be fun. Ditto with Italy. Am totally flexible so will see. The plan was to set off at the end of March but getting away for 3 months and cutting all ties with business is causing a problem. So there is a bit of a delay. Soon though I hope!

Pam W, thanks for the concerns . The tent is on roof bars to keep the weight down and there is only me in the vehicle but it is something I need to think about. The fridge is on the bottom shelf but it may be an idea to centre the tank to give a little better balance. I tried to consider everything I have done but there is always something.

All observations however are most welcome.

Thanks again,
Post #232873 5th May 2013 4:49pm
wyvern

There is a lovely slim line watertank that fits in behind the drivers seats in a 90 and holds about 50lts - it puts the weight down low - I'll try and find the link for you ...
our water is under the driving seat - so very low and out the way.
As Pam said - not a good idea for to have the weight high on any vehicle and not for one that will be bouncing arround on the rough. - have you though about extra fuel ?
Love the look of the boxes! Thumbs Up Poppy - TDCI (Puma) 110XS 2.2 - Camper conversion - see the build here - https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic56530.html
Post #232908 5th May 2013 6:01pm
216lcg

A link to that tank would be useful. I did start by looking at a pair of tanks either side above the wheels. But each side would only hold about 16l.I have a jerry can which holds 20l. This straps at the back, opposite the fridge. Am hoping that will be enough in any emergency. I also need to carry some fuel for my coleman stove. The space where I wanted to put those water tanks should do if I can find something suitable to carry it. Again, am not planning on carrying a lot of spare fuel. I might look tomorrow if my water tank will fit in the passenger footwell. As travelling alone it is space so far under utilised!

Am really pleased with the drawers. The surface of the base unit has been cut to house the channels for the fridge runners and the end section of the runner unbolt a to allow the fridge to be removed.
Post #232925 5th May 2013 6:23pm
wyvern

http://maverick4x4.co.uk/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=55
enjoy!! Poppy - TDCI (Puma) 110XS 2.2 - Camper conversion - see the build here - https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic56530.html
Post #232946 5th May 2013 7:16pm
SteveS

England 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Santorini Black
Just back from Morocco and have the following observations:
If you go alone and go offroad then remember it is a very big place and you could be miles from help - plenty of water, sat phone etc. Remember you will consume a lot more water in the desert than in the UK;
I have a roof tent and ensured it was the ONLY weight up high - all Jerry cans, spare wheels etc were kept at lowest height and tried to be centred between axles. I had no weight more than 20" above the truck rear floor, water and diesel Jerry cans on the floor behind the front seats;
I found my damper rates to be too low for the big undulations (Heavy Track RAID) and will set hem a bit firmer next time;
Most of my weight is demountable - ie no fixed drawer systems - can make the truck lighter when you need to
One of our group had a lot of punctures - inner tube failures - go tubeless if you can (probably are). Take two spares - personally I would have good quality new tyres all round - side walls get punished - BFG ATs or MTs were used for example;
Consider that the mpg for desert travel will be much lower than normal - and distances between busy petrol stations greater (poor diesel in dodgy areas)
Make sure you know how to change your fuel filter and have the tools to do so. Know how to drain water out of the system;
Remove all unnecessary weight from your truck;
Make sure you know how to self recover your truck offroad and have the tools to do it - e.g. MaxTrax
Post #233034 5th May 2013 10:43pm
216lcg

All sounds good advice. Have moved my jerry can to behind the front seats and centralised the water tank on the top shelf rather than on one side. My thoughts were that my shelves weigh less than the 2 rear seats i removed (these are surprisingly heavy). The bottom shelves contain camp equipment - stove, pans, plates etc plus some tools. The top, much smaller drawers will hold provisions- some basic food plus a change of clothes. The fridge is a small (27l) engel so does not weight too much and the Howling moon roof tent is on a pair of bars - again much lighter than a full rack.

Has anyone fitted a second spare wheel to the bonnet - bearing it mind it is a puma with the central bulge?

Possibly this would impinge on forward vision.

Thanks again,
Post #233100 6th May 2013 12:27pm
BigMike

United Kingdom 
Pam's point re weight is a good one. You don't need a 55 litre water tank for Morocco even if you're a family of 4. You can buy bottled water in any village or town, it's not a problem. Having 55 kg extra is just asking for trouble especially if you don't have heavier duty springs. Too many 90's I see over there are sitting on their arses due to too much weight which then means knackered bushes, shocks etc and very poor handling. Better are foam cell shocks and good quality, heavy duty springs (but the springs are more important for morocco unless you're driving at racing speed and that seems unlikely). For example you can get a full set of iron man foam cell shocks and springs for 468 quid including vat and that is the best upgrade you can have for morocco.

Put your second spare inside behind the drivers/passenger seat. If there is only you there will be a ton of room anyway. Don't take too many clothes, you just won't need them. 2 pairs of trousers, 3 shirts, a fleece, warm and cold hats and underwear/socks, pair of boots, pair of flip flops, that's all you'll need. If you're on a guided tour then any tour leader worth their salt will have a sat phone, I wouldnt be going out and buying one.

Take spare track rod ends and UJ's. If you're on a guided tour do not take max trax, hi lift jacks, sand ladders etc, you will not need them and it's all extra weight. Take a kinetic strap, a tow strap and 2 shackles of the correct rating.
Post #233133 6th May 2013 4:50pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1