↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > For Sale & Wanted > WANTED TD5 rear door/NOW SORTED
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
barbel jim

United Kingdom 2005 Defender 90 Td5 HT Tonga Green
WANTED TD5 rear door/NOW SORTED
I need a new back door the currant one argued with a jockey wheel and is now a bit bent. Embarassed I have been looking on the flea bay etc and am astounded how much second hand ones can fetch. For similar money you can buy new and spray !!! On the off chance, dose anyone have an Epson green one sitting about? Bow down
Or can anyone recommend where to buy a new one, Landrover want over £300, and SP global parts advertise OE for £135. Anyone brought one ??? Believe the late TD5 are steel ???

Last edited by barbel jim on 26th Jul 2013 10:27pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #251900 17th Jul 2013 3:50pm
ken

United Kingdom 
Ordered the PreGlazed Heated on Monday (not received yet) will advise upon receipt
Post #251903 17th Jul 2013 4:05pm
238kirk

United Kingdom 2003 Defender 90 Td5 SW Belize Green
Unfortunatly second hand ones are few and far between, especially the post 2002 one peice steel ones which you need, as I found out when I wanted one, if your patient then you will pick one up on eBay but don't expect tho pay much less than £200 plus paint, I waited ages but eventually got one for about £210 Confused
Post #251904 17th Jul 2013 4:06pm
barbel jim

Ken - Is that from SP Global ?

Thanks Kirk yes post 2002 is required, and I think £200 for secondhand is a bit rich. prefer new for £300. Been looking for over 12 months Crying or Very sad

There was someone else who used to advertise, OE steel doors new for about £235 IIRC but have not seen them for a while
Post #251908 17th Jul 2013 4:12pm
ken

United Kingdom 
Yes from SP Global Thumbs Up
Post #251909 17th Jul 2013 4:18pm
barbel jim

Ken - yes please let me know your thoughts appreciated Thumbs Up and if its all steel Thumbs Up
Post #251911 17th Jul 2013 4:24pm
db950

United Kingdom 1997 Defender 110 300 Tdi HT Nato Green
Are you going to Billing? Might be your best bet.
I got a brand new all steel door last year from there for £150 (bare) there was slight damage to them off the production line 1997 Ex-MOD 110, Pop Top Camper, build thread https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic72352.html
2014 Discovery 4 SE Tech
Instagram @the110camper
Post #251917 17th Jul 2013 4:32pm
barbel jim

Still undecided -Live close so travelling not an issue Rolling with laughter
Post #251918 17th Jul 2013 4:36pm
barbel jim

Have you received it yet Ken ??? Just wondering as probably going to Billing tomorrow Cheers Thumbs Up
Post #253651 25th Jul 2013 3:06pm
Nidge

Ireland 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 HCPU Cairns Blue
I purchased one for their universal doors some time back..... metal frame cracked after 6 weeks light use. Box section in the frame was paper thin. Whistle

I contacted SPL about the fault and I was subsecquently told by them that it wasn't suitable to hang a spare wheel off it even tho it was advertised as a genuine replacement. Was only carrying a standard 760 steel wheel.

If I was to buy again I would consider the one piece pressed steel type.

N.
Post #253673 25th Jul 2013 5:56pm
barbel jim

All sorted now - brought a genuine one piece steel in the correct color from Billing. It was not cheap, as such £450, but in excellent condition and bolt straight on, included all the trim wiper motor etc. Still cheaper than new door paint and fit so happy days Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Post #253879 26th Jul 2013 10:26pm
238kirk

United Kingdom 2003 Defender 90 Td5 SW Belize Green
Look after that one then Very Happy
Post #253880 26th Jul 2013 10:42pm
ken

United Kingdom 
Quick update

Wish I went to Billing

Door OK needs sikaflex for the SKIN to Frame and the Window is not OEM

However bolted straight on painted nice so Im happy to a point
Post #257048 7th Aug 2013 6:28pm
willsp123

United Kingdom 2000 Defender 90 Td5 SW Zambezi Silver
Hi, im william from SPL
In response to the message made by Nidge
The door purchased was our universal/budget option which isn’t made for hanging a spare wheel on as it lacks the extra diagonal strengthens in the frame and is made clear in the advert. (for customers who aren’t hanging a wheel on their door or for those willing to add extra brackets themselves to save quite a bit of money) We do the OE spec one which IS designed to take the weight of a spare wheel but obviously is more expensive as it has lot more metal support brackets etc in the frame.

All our doors are actually made from thicker steel than original, using 0.9mm steel over Land Rovers original 0.8mm as somehow it works out cheaper to buy in raw form! (feel free to compare with a micrometre yourselves)
But obviously the door developed a crack in one of the cross members as no extra strenghteners where added by the customer or a swing away wheel carrier used as that is not what is was designed for or sold as. Its like asking a fiesta to tow a 10 ton trailer and then wondering why its snapped in half!

Also I would like to note that Nidge has since bought a pair of 300tdi wings only last week so would be good to see if any positive comments are given as freely as the negative ones, (as it seems he makes a comment on every forum regarding THAT door) (obviously if you find there are negative aspects to be told then I always like to know so we can resolve them or improve our products, so long as you haven’t been hanging a spare wheel on the new wings that is! Very Happy )

Regarding ken, yes unfortunately none of our glass is OEM but as glass is much of a muchness we opt for glass from another manufacturer as OEM/genuine glass is £100 more than other glass available so obviously is a no brainer to use non OEM glass, where LR gets their prices from I don’t know!

Kind regards
william
Post #258465 13th Aug 2013 9:40pm
Nidge

Ireland 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 HCPU Cairns Blue
Nice way to introduce your business to potential new customers....by attacking a forum member who is only giving an honest opinion. Rolling Eyes

If you check back on your emails you will see I did contact you about the crack in the door frame, sent pictures too and all you said was thanks for letting me know.....No form of refund or option to replace.

As for buying a Universal door ...below is a copy of the original ebay add - mentions nothing about been unsuitable to mount a spare wheel on, if it did I would have bought the alternative.

*Land Rover Defender*

Rear Back Door to fit all:

Series and Defender Models from 1955-1985 (series) and 1983-2002 (Defender).

Both SWB and LWB models 90 or 110

This high quality British made door is a universal item so certain holes such as a rear wiper hole, door lock hole or spare wheel mount will need to be added if required, although this is a fairly simple operation using you old door for measurements. Obviously if you don’t have a rear wiper etc then you leave it be!

Why bother repairing an old one when you can have a brand new one at this price!

Adds value to your Land Rover!

Delivered using UPS 48hr courier service and usually dispatched same day if bought before 2pm

Postage price is for UK mainland only, please email if other than this or worldwide
[/color]

Regarding the wings...well I decided everyone deserves a second chance....Wings were despatched on time and fit well, thicker Alum than standard but there are 2 fold mark lines all along the curved top section. ...... again an honest opinion thats what forums are about ...not just a tool to sell your wares.

Nidge Mad
Post #258484 13th Aug 2013 10:27pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>