↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Technical > Wheel Replacement
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Andy Jeff

United Kingdom 1999 Defender 90 Td5 CSW Chawton White
Wheel Replacement
Just really want to chuck this one out there to see if my thoughts are in the right direction.

I'm running 265/75x16 tyres on 16x7j standard Land Rover Freestyle wheels and suffer from lack of steering lock. Freestyle wheels have a positive offset of 33mm, but to counteract that, the car has wheel spacers which without checking I think are 30mm. All in all that gives an offset of +3mm, but as I say, I still don't have enough lock. Lets not get bogged down with the fact that I use Insa Turbo Special Tracks for now, I just want to improve steering lock.

I see there are 3 options:
1. Get neutral offset rims and ditch the spacers and the tyres would be 3mm further out having an overall offset of 0mm. However, I don't see that solving the problem.
2. Get neutral offset rims and keep the spacers and the tyres would be 33mm further out having an overall offset of -30mm. This may well solve the problem, but is it the right solution.
3. Get -35mm offset rims (or some other -ve offset) without spacers and the tyres would be 38mm further out having an overall offset of -35mm. Almost the same as option 2., but no spacers. One complication with the -35mm offset rims is that they are 8j not 7j and I don't know if that is firstly going to affect things and secondly right for the tyre!

One other thought, I don't really want extra width arches if I can help it.

Thoughts and experience would be great. If you already have (or have had) these type and size of tyres, how did you get around the lock problem (or didn't you).

Thanks in advance...

Andy.
Post #225806 9th Apr 2013 4:49pm
mikeh501

United Kingdom 
few thoughts...

* you dont need 8j rims for 265 tyres. a 7j rim will be fine which will likely improve turning circle.
* if you have +35 rims even on 7j they will stick out at least 25mm beyond the standard arches, look stupid and require extended arches.
* im assuming you have played about with your lock stops.
Post #225813 9th Apr 2013 4:58pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
I run 285/75 BFG Muds on boost rims (same offset as yours afaik) on 30mm spacers on my 110 and have no lock issues at all, it turns better than my Disco 2 (not that that is particularly difficult). I don't understand how you can be having issues with 265/75s unless your lock-stops or your expectations need adjusting!

If you move your tyres outwards any more, at least by any more than 10mm or so, you will need to extend the arches. Mine are absolutely on the limit of legality.

Check your lock-stops first.
Post #225844 9th Apr 2013 5:54pm
Andy Jeff

United Kingdom 1999 Defender 90 Td5 CSW Chawton White
Maybe I should have said that I whilst the lock isn't 'bad' as such, it's not as much as it 'could' be. Yes, I've adjusted the lock stops, but the tyres are catching on the radius arms and I still have plenty of lock stop (and swivel hub) to go. The car is used for trialling and most other competitors are beating me because of their tighter turning circle.

The reason I mentioned 8j rims was because (without too much of an in depth look) the only decent offset rims I found were 8j's. I know I'm lazy.

I should have mentioned that I'm au-fait with the mechanical side of thing, and completely understand the setup of the components involved. My last trialer (a 300tdi 90) ran the same size tyres (though they were BFG KM2 muds) on modulars, but the contact profile 'on the road' is way different for the special tracks. Remembering that because this is a car for trialing, it means that I want the absolute maximum lock possible. I know I could go for skinny wheels/tyres, but I want to get the maximum out of what I've got so to speak!

What I don't want to do is spend a couple of hundred quid on rims and getting the tyres fitted just to find out there's no advantage. Hence the concern that neutral rims and removing the spacers wouldn't give me anything over the current setup!

Andy.
Post #225884 9th Apr 2013 8:11pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
Ok, clearer now. For trialling you might be better off shifting the tyres outwards either with wheels or thicker spacers, since arch protrusion isn't a legal issue provided you're driving somewhere the RTA doesn't apply, and can pass scrutineering. Change the wheels or add the spacers on arrival, change back before leaving, assuming you're in an RTV class and not trailering.

Be careful though that there isn't a risk of the tyre impacting the arch on extreme articulation.

Alternatively fit fiddle brakes with a lockout for road use.

Don't forget to check the current specs since there's no point doing anything that won't pass scrutineering.
Post #225963 9th Apr 2013 11:05pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1