↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Td5 > TD5 idle mode when wet??
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Print this entire topic · 
landy andy

2006 Defender 110 Td5 USW Zermatt Silver
I just cut the cables at staggered positions, soldered in new, then covered each with heat shrink.

For the pedal, I found the loom behind the clocks so did the same joints, but liked the idea of the protection provided by the higher position.

Andy
Post #304845 3rd Feb 2014 9:51pm
WorcsTD5

United Kingdom 2004 Defender 90 Td5 CSW Java Black
Quote:
I just cut the cables at staggered positions, soldered in new, then covered each with heat shrink.

For the pedal, I found the loom behind the clocks so did the same joints, but liked the idea of the protection provided by the higher position.

Andy

Makes sense. That's how I was thinking of doing it Smile

Out of interest, where was the water getting in on the original loom? was it damaged and if so what's to stop the new cable from suffering similar damage in the future?

Thanks once again for all your help (and patience) Thumbs Up
Post #304936 4th Feb 2014 8:49am
landy andy

The loom rubs though each other/conduit as the loom goes over the transfer box, APPARENTLY. I never looked or found any sign of this. The conduit holds the water in for a while causing the problems. The new loom is run in a different type of cable, and run in a different location so won't happen again.

But with mine I found that someone, previous to me had fitted a boost box thing, and cut into the loom, then removed boost box just leaving the cables behind the dash unfinished shorting out when damp.

Although I have done this repair now a couple of times for other Td5 who have suffered the damaged loom.

Andy
Post #304939 4th Feb 2014 9:14am
Razler

United Kingdom 2002 Defender 90 Td5 HT Zambezi Silver
No input into this, just to say cheers I had this problem the other day and driving 3miles back in idle mode was not fun! Laughing

Hope this will fix it!
Post #305127 4th Feb 2014 9:15pm
DCFerret

England 2003 Defender 110 Td5 DCPU Epsom Green
I found when mine done this trick if I sat there for 5-10 minutes with the engine still running it would usually clear itself. Hopefully now the offending harness has been bypassed it'll be no more trouble in that area
Post #305189 4th Feb 2014 11:32pm
WorcsTD5

landy andy wrote:
The loom rubs though each other/conduit as the loom goes over the transfer box, APPARENTLY. I never looked or found any sign of this. The conduit holds the water in for a while causing the problems. The new loom is run in a different type of cable, and run in a different location so won't happen again.

But with mine I found that someone, previous to me had fitted a boost box thing, and cut into the loom, then removed boost box just leaving the cables behind the dash unfinished shorting out when damp.

Although I have done this repair now a couple of times for other Td5 who have suffered the damaged loom.

Andy

Just about to source all the kit and give this a go Very Happy I've had a thought about keeping the new loom inside the cabin. My thinking being that if the cab fills with water, going into "Limp Mode" will be the least of my problems Laughing

Another question has arisen...Does the original loom just contain the ECU to Throttle cables, then? If the loom is getting damaged and allowing water ingress are any other circuits affected?
Post #305364 5th Feb 2014 7:44pm
landy andy

Where ever you run the new loom does not matter, as long as wires are not damaged water will have no effect. I just went for the most direct, out underseat box with original loom, then along drivers chassis rail (with fuel lines) then up bulkhead, and in behind binnacle.

The loom contains many other cables, so I assume they could also be getting damaged. I don't know if this has any bad effects, or if other system can deal with a misreading, but the TPS system can not deal with misreadings. Again it's not the water in the conduit that is a problem, it's the chaffed wires, with the water. I had thought about injecting the loom with silicon sealer, so there would be movement to cause chaffing, no room for water, and would set whilst in place.

But re loom worked for over a year, and have now sold it Big Cry

Andy
Post #305387 5th Feb 2014 8:46pm
WorcsTD5

You sir, are a legend!

Many thanks for all the helpful advice you've given. Really appreciate it Very Happy
Post #305400 5th Feb 2014 9:21pm
MadTom

Czech Republic 1999 Defender 130 Td5 HCPU Baltic Blue
Applying a silicone into the cable loom is nice idea, until you need to make some repair on the loom. With cables siliconed to each other, you will not be able separate one and have to replace the whole loom. I have removed the outer tube and applyed some selfadhesive tape around the loom, to make the loom more rigid. Placed more than one layer. Then replaced the potective tube. No more problem with chafing individual cables. And this is not only problem of LR, but lot of cars. "Drobek" = The Small One - Discovery 2, "BlufĂ­nek" = The Blue Thing - Defender 130, and for me at least Ford Mondeo Smile
Post #305542 6th Feb 2014 10:04am
Razler

United Kingdom 2002 Defender 90 Td5 HT Zambezi Silver
Thanks again Landy Andy.. Job done!

I removed gauge binnacle and speaker.

Cut throttle pedal loom where it goes into main loom accessible through speaker hole.

Routed 8mm trailer lights cable through main loom grommet in front of binnacle, down bulkhead, on top of fuel pipes then looped in through forward seat box grommet.

Picked out wires and cut each to give as much wire as possible.

Was confused at first regarding 7 wires at pedal connector and only 5 pins at ECU connector: pin 26 feeds both black/yellow at pedal and pin 14 feeds both white/purple at pedal.
I also continuity tested after connections were made between pins on ECU connector (connector removed from ECU) and pedal connector (removed from pedal) just for piece of mind Rolling Eyes

Cheers again!
Post #306278 8th Feb 2014 7:45pm
landy andy

You off to play in the floods now?

Hope it has sorted the problem Thumbs Up

Andy
Post #306454 9th Feb 2014 9:47am
WorcsTD5

Razler wrote:
Thanks again Landy Andy.. Job done!

Was confused at first regarding 7 wires at pedal connector and only 5 pins at ECU connector: pin 26 feeds both black/yellow at pedal and pin 14 feeds both white/purple at pedal.

Cheers again!

So for those of us who are hard of understanding Wink presumably you joined two cores of the trailer cable together to connect to Pins 14 & 26 at the ECU and then connected them to the relevant feeds at the pedal...and the fact that both black/yellow are earth and both white/purple are 5V...means that it doesn't matter which of the 2 trailer cores are used for the relevant feed?
Post #306554 9th Feb 2014 5:03pm
landy andy

You need to cut five cables as they leave the black ECM plug. PIN numbers 12, 14, 20 ,26, 36. Then find loom above throttle assembly and cut all seven cables in the loom, it is just a case of running a new loom between the two cut looms. It requires two of the cables. ECM Pin 14 and 26 to doubled up to equal the seven at the pedal assembly.

Hope that makes sense

Andy
Post #306556 9th Feb 2014 5:17pm
WorcsTD5

It does!

just need someone to hold my hand Laughing
Post #306557 9th Feb 2014 5:19pm
landy andy

As I mentioned above, I was really concerned about doing it at the time, but eventually just had too, and when I did it was actually quite simple. Just ask if you have any queries.

Andy
Post #306561 9th Feb 2014 5:25pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>